Sponsored by:

Oil filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 05:36 AM
theworkerbee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil filter housing

In the middle of an oil change and I can't seem to get the housing off. Its super tight. I know my lack of appropriate tools is not helping, ordered a socket that was too long to fit in the space with a wrench and my adjustable wrench is very short. However, I have ordered a 36mm combination spanner so that should help. I have sprayed some WD40 on some edges that I could see/reach around the housing, any other tips?
Old 07-26-2024, 05:39 AM
theworkerbee
Advanced

The oil is out though, so I'm half way there haha

The oil sump plug is proper soft, so I would recommend buying a new one each time. Oil is a little darker than I would like but I will try and reduce the oil change intervals during my ownership.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:27 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Is this a 3.2L VR6? My 2009 and 2016 3.6 both have drains in the filter housing. They are tight, even when I properly torque them but always break free with a 36mm socket, extensions and decent length ratchet. I snagged an Icon 3/8" breaker bar on close out at HF and it is the perfect tool for freeing these. Look for a 36mm oil filter housing socket on Amazon, it's like $6 and a lot lower profile and lighter than a typical 36mm. Much less awkward to use. I would upgrade the housing to one with a drain as it will be a mess without it. Once I loosen it a bit I put a big ziplock bag and try to catch the overflow oil. Ol changes on this engine is the only thing I don't like about my Cayennes and on a 958 it's even worse.

Mark
Old 07-26-2024, 06:59 AM
theworkerbee
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdistel
Is this a 3.2L VR6? My 2009 and 2016 3.6 both have drains in the filter housing. They are tight, even when I properly torque them but always break free with a 36mm socket, extensions and decent length ratchet. I snagged an Icon 3/8" breaker bar on close out at HF and it is the perfect tool for freeing these. Look for a 36mm oil filter housing socket on Amazon, it's like $6 and a lot lower profile and lighter than a typical 36mm. Much less awkward to use. I would upgrade the housing to one with a drain as it will be a mess without it. Once I loosen it a bit I put a big ziplock bag and try to catch the overflow oil. Ol changes on this engine is the only thing I don't like about my Cayennes and on a 958 it's even worse.

Mark
Its on a 4.8 Cayenne Turbo. Good tip about the ziplock bag.

Yeah it hasn't been as smooth sailing as I was hoping but hopefully with the spanner it won't be too much longer before this job is sorted.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:28 PM
bobbyjimmy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got one these 36mm Klick Wrench.
It 'pops' off the housing when the torque limit is hit.
The following users liked this post:
theworkerbee (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 05:22 AM
theworkerbee
Advanced

The spanner made light work of the filter housing. Threads looked absolutely fine and with a proper sized spanner it didn't feel too tight at all

Quick Reply: Oil filter housing