Sponsored by:

What is this awful whine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 01:41 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this awful whine?

My 04 CTT has this nasty whine which increases relative to engine speed.
At higher RPM's you can't even hear the V8 over the high-pitched whining sound, it's that bad.

The whine has existed for a fair while but I feel like it worsened after my mechanic did a transmission fluid and filter change a long time ago.
Since then, it has had one more filter replacement and numerous transmission fluid changes to try and fix the issue, but the whine remains.

The three most likely causes I can think of are
  • Cavitation in transmission due to under/over filling
  • Cavitation in transmission due to poorly seated/damaged filter o-ring
  • Noise from bad accessory or pulley on the serpentine belt
Overall the car drives well, but sometimes the gear changes are a little abrupt and the torque converter lockup clutch seems to be mis-timed or something, which leads me to believe this is indeed a transmission problem.
The car has about 206,000 miles on it now so it is getting up there, but I think it drives too well for this to be a more serious internal transmission problem.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Cayenne Whine.mov (15.66 MB, 9 views)
Old 07-10-2024, 02:47 PM
Pnwdbag69
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sure it’s not a wheel bearing? Those can get loud AF.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:51 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

If it's been there for that long, since before the transmission service, it sounds like time for a new mechanic.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:16 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Hard to narrow down as I hear a few separate noises going on there. Does the noise change while turning or driving straight? Can you hear it while coasting in gear or in neutral? If it's truly in the transmission...with 206k miles, turn the radio up.
Old 07-10-2024, 06:48 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tassieporsche
abrupt

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.
Do an adaptation reset for trans ...its free
The following users liked this post:
tassieporsche (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 07:50 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Definitely not a wheel bearing, it's not that sort of noise.

Took the car for a bit of a spirited drive and interestingly it seems to have calmed down a bit, although still present.

Going to get it up on a hoist soon and run it it to try and pinpoint the source. I'll do a trans filter change at the same time as I've seen so many cases of this where people haven't installed the filter o-ring correctly causing cavitation and thus a whine. Good chance to ensure the fluid level is accurate too.

Last edited by tassieporsche; 07-12-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:55 AM
tassieporsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Hard to narrow down as I hear a few separate noises going on there. Does the noise change while turning or driving straight? Can you hear it while coasting in gear or in neutral? If it's truly in the transmission...with 206k miles, turn the radio up.
Doesn't change during turning vs straight driving, and it can't be heard while coasting.
It's directly linked to engine RPM so it's either something in the drivetrain or a belt driven accessory, but I believe the former is more likely.

Yeah the mileage is high but I think there's a decent chance it might be something that can be corrected. I've just seen a lot of cases of this, especially with these gearboxes and their silly and difficult fill procedure. A lot of people on these forums seem to suggest the Porsche procedure is wrong and you need to use other methods to truly acheive the correct level.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:52 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Quickly eliminate belt driven accessories by momentarily releasing the serpentine belt.

No harm done running it like this for a few min.

The following users liked this post:
BobcatBrian (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 01:27 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tassieporsche
Doesn't change during turning vs straight driving, and it can't be heard while coasting.
It's directly linked to engine RPM so it's either something in the drivetrain or a belt driven accessory, but I believe the former is more likely.

Yeah the mileage is high but I think there's a decent chance it might be something that can be corrected. I've just seen a lot of cases of this, especially with these gearboxes and their silly and difficult fill procedure. A lot of people on these forums seem to suggest the Porsche procedure is wrong and you need to use other methods to truly acheive the correct level.
Is it RPM or speed related? Does it do it while parked and revving or do you have to be moving? If you have to be moving I would suspect a diff, TC, or the transmission given what you’ve said. Try driving with the transfer case engaged to see if that matters.
Old 07-13-2024, 10:15 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 107 Posts

You'll get more feedback by uploading the video to youtube and placing the link here. Many of us won't download a random file from a forum.

Quick Reply: What is this awful whine?