Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay From China Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 11:53 PM
snoop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh interesting. IPS does have a glow from the side lit LEDs in the screen. It can actually cause eye strain at night. When gambling on Chinese stuff, one can't be too picky, and I think you got very lucky if that is your main grievance with it.

A couple of questions:
  • On the back lit buttons on the side, are they software color tunable? do they match the orange dashboard?
  • It says it can link to the steering wheel buttons, did this work for you? I am on the cdr-30, the non pcm orange stereo system. I think the buttons behave the same for all the stereos.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:40 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Yes and yes. You can be the judge from the pic above.
Yes the radio communicates through CANBUS the same as the old radio for all of the steering wheel controls without any programming.

I don't think the company I bought through, Erisin, is a gamble as far as the specs.
Their web pages show very detailed specs in clear English.
The model I bought (ES8197S) shows as sold out, but it was one of the cheaper offerings.
Old 07-04-2024, 05:46 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by thesteve
Yes and yes. You can be the judge from the pic above.
Yes the radio communicates through CANBUS the same as the old radio for all of the steering wheel controls without any programming.

I don't think the company I bought through, Erisin, is a gamble as far as the specs.
Their web pages show very detailed specs in clear English.
The model I bought (ES8197S) shows as sold out, but it was one of the cheaper offerings.
While the model you bought is sold out, there are a couple more that seem to be great solutions. I am considering going this route rather than fixing my PCM...
Old 07-04-2024, 07:36 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

True. I was just considering upgrading to their "flagship" until I realized it uses the same processor as mine, a PX5.
So I would only (possibly) get a brighter IPS display. At least I think the IPS display would be brighter. I'm no expert on displays.
It does seem to have a built in ATSC tuner though. That would be cool.

I found this video where a guy does a pretty good job of reviewing a similar radio:

Everything software-wise is about identical to mine. --Including how the igo navigation app flags the Android's harmful software warning. Hmm... I bet it's bootleg. Something to consider if you login to your google account.

Here is my radio's info:

Last edited by thesteve; 07-04-2024 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Had it right the first time.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:16 PM
snoop
Intermediate

I just installed an Aliexpress radio today, took less than 5 minutes. Looks and feels Porsche Sounds great, boots quick, screen is amazing. Wireless car play as well. Ill give a few review after some time with it.

The following users liked this post:
davidpriebe (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 10:10 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Looks really sharp. I like the ***** a lot and the button arrangement looks clean and factory-ish.
Let us know.
Old 07-19-2024, 12:30 PM
davidpriebe
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@snoop What model stereo is that in your photos? Do you have the link to it? Any feedback on it?
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2024, 03:03 PM
snoop
Intermediate

Hi David, I am using Kapud 8" screen on aliexpress. I havn't had alot of time with it yet and wanted to post a thorough review. But out of the gate
  • the buttons on the sides are illuminated in red and cannot be adjusted, it matches the hazard signal red.
  • The screen is great, night and day, there appears to be two version of the screen. I got the k21 version for $238.
  • the quality of the plastics are great
  • all the install cables are included to the install, no splicing or soldering. took less than 5 minutes
  • audio sounds better than the CDR30
  • First time boot takes 30 seconds, boottime there after is instant on key turn
  • wireless carplay seems to laggy but i never used the wireless version on other headunits. it auto reconnects when reentering car which is great. It uses this aftermarket software called phonelink. That software i guess emulates the real deal wireless carplay.
  • I have not verified the CPU, RAM, Storage, Android version. These companies have a history of faking it and making it appear alter in the settings. I will need to dig into that deeper. But at the end of the day, it snappy and seems to be working well so i guess it might be irrelevant.

I will post more details when i get more time with it such as microphone, GPS quality. I have concerns about entering my gmail username and password into the android OS. I could see the credentials being sent back to china. I may need to create burner credentials for this device.

Last edited by snoop; 07-19-2024 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:56 PM
snoop
Intermediate

How are people routing the after market GPS antennas, and where are people mounting these?
Old 07-24-2024, 09:30 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,050 Likes on 1,751 Posts

Originally Posted by snoop
How are people routing the after market GPS antennas, and where are people mounting these?
You're better off getting the conversation wires and using the OEM antenna. Cleaner and much better reception.
Old 07-24-2024, 09:34 PM
snoop
Intermediate

I have the CDR30 which doesn't include a GPS antenna. I am actually not sure I even need one as apple car play pass the GPS through.
Old 07-25-2024, 02:52 PM
snoop
Intermediate

I just found this one, about double the price but looks very nice.
https://xtrons.com/porsche-cayenne-q...ution-iq92cypp
Old 07-25-2024, 04:59 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I have the CDR30 which doesn't include a GPS antenna. I am actually not sure I even need one as apple car play pass the GPS through.
You don't need a GPS antenna unless you are planning to use the built-in nav. If you're just using apps via CarPlay, no need.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:51 AM
Wjrjsbn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elchemia
Does anyone have any feedback from the currently available CarPlay units from China? They are at a fraction of the Porsche price and trying to get sounds and phone working in my wonderful 2009 Cayenne GTS.
Thank you.
Also seamlessly integrated into my iTunes and my cell for phone calls, or google maps if I start off searching for an address on my phone and plug in
Old 08-02-2024, 12:03 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

I just found this one, about double the price but looks very nice.
https://xtrons.com/porsche-cayenne-q...ution-iq92cypp
That does look nice and the fiber optic adapter is included. If you figure this in it's about $150 more than the much less advanced one.

Quick Reply: CarPlay From China Advise