Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Oops, got the handles mixed up.
Thanks Emil_jo_944!
Old 05-15-2024, 07:58 PM
Turbojordan23
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update! got cable in and did the jump as recommended. Can communicate with various modules.. but not others like engine . Also found fault in the level control module. Read it might be air valve block?

Old 05-15-2024, 08:43 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

There is an uninsulated splice under the carpet, left side, that will cause that fault.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:45 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I have a legit VCDS and it doesn't communicate with the V8 ecu. That engine isn't used by VW or Audi. I bet the 3.2 or 3.6 VR6 works with VCDS.
There are a couple others VCDS won't work with. I can't remember which. Maybe the instrument cluster.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:55 PM
bennyakavinny
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a legit VCDS and I bought an OBD Y-splitter/combiner and jumpered wires 3,7,15 all together on one end. It works for everything on my 955 Turbo and clears a system sweep just fine.

Additionally, for a system test, you have to open the config file for the ross-tech software and uncomment the Cayenne options, so they are selectable in the auto test / system test (whatever it's call) drop down menu.

Good Luck, have fun✌️
The following users liked this post:
thesteve (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:16 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

This is gold and perfect timing!
I can't wait til my plug arrives... Ali says it just cleared customs.
Maybe I can find out which of my door handle thumb lock buttons has a problem.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:26 PM
bennyakavinny
Track Day

Mine tells me that, so does my Foxwell 510. If it's the door lock actuator and not the door handle, and you have air ride, you can open each door individually and try to raise/lower the car. It shouldn't adjust if a door is open (and will give you a fault message on the cluster). So if the doors open and it still goes up/down the door lock actuator is bad.

Good luck, have fun✌️
The following users liked this post:
thesteve (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:43 PM
Turbojordan23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thesteve
There is an uninsulated splice under the carpet, left side, that will cause that fault.
Are we talking where level control module is in trunk side panel?

actually you might be talking about this

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/1166551-finally-checked-the-wires-under-my-carpet-fixed-one-gremlin.html

Last edited by Turbojordan23; 05-15-2024 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:12 PM
Turbojordan23
Intermediate

Wires look fine and nothing feels wet under floor.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:28 PM
bennyakavinny
Track Day

Mine was dry as well but the sonic welds were corroded. I'd properly butt splice and shrink wrap them if you're in there and gone that far.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:51 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by bennyakavinny
I have a legit VCDS and I bought an OBD Y-splitter/combiner and jumpered wires 3,7,15 all together on one end. It works for everything on my 955 Turbo and clears a system sweep just fine.
Oh nice, maybe I should have messed with it more. I have a piwis so I just used that.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:08 AM
Turbojordan23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bennyakavinny
Mine was dry as well but the sonic welds were corroded. I'd properly butt splice and shrink wrap them if you're in there and gone that far.
yeah I took a quick look but might have to pull it up all the way and look closer at it.. also need to play around more with vcds since my first time using it.. was noticing my accumulator wasn’t holding air… compressor would come on and accumulator would start to raise pressure but would immediately go back down when compressor stopped.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:37 AM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Those splices are funny. I have an airbag splice under the seat that was done by the dealer that still throws a code now and again. I have to reach under and wiggle it to clear it so it holds.
You should undo all the tape and zip ties and find the splices on the skinny wires. They may be green.
My airbag splice is high and dry above the carpet but still comes back on average of once a year or so.
Not saying I know for sure... just my experience. My self leveling fault comes back from time to time even though I redid it. But I still have water getting in there . (shame emoji)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:21 PM
Turbojordan23
Intermediate

So been playing with vcds.. also trying to see if it would connect to engine module.. turns out my cable doesn’t need a jumper.. still can access same stuff with or without it… still no engine but Jumper didn’t make a difference. Wonder if anybody has any ideas?
Old 05-17-2024, 07:26 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Did you read what theprf said about pin 15?

Well I got my plug yesterday via some weird Amazon-like courier who even took pictures at the door.
Anyway, I connected 3, 7, and 15 as was suggested. Then I fooled around with the software.

It looks like the "developers" are using a trojan exploit in order to spoof the registration somehow.
So there's a chance it isn't malevolent, but of course I'm not taking that risk on anything but a spare laptop with no personal data on it and the internet off (for now).
I actually had to completely uninstall my McAfee to stop the executable from being immediately deleted. Not like the old days where you can just right-click and disable.
After that even Windows Defender went and deleted it without even asking.
I don't want to get off-topic so enough of that.

So today at work during lunch I tried it with the car and eventually got it all installed.
It shows K2 short to ground unfortunately. I think this is because of the pin 15 jumper.
So in this state it seems the CAN bus doesn't work to auto-detect and a few other features.

Or maybe I have a problem with my canbus (?). Some have mentioned the aftermarket radio. Who knows. My canbus works and shows "2-wire operation" whatever that means.

Well after editing the text file so P-cars show up, I was able to select 9P for my 1st gen 9PA (03 turbo) and the full scan worked without a hitch and seemed to talk to everything it was supposed to.
Took 8 minutes I think.
I won't paste the whole log but it showed my VIN and mileage... the whole shabang I guess.

Good news is I found out which door thumb switch is bad. It's the Right Rear after all.

All of those other codes cleared, but the one that came back was the left rear module. Which explains another bit of bad behavior observed, where the alarm would arm, but leave that door unlocked. (And it seems to unlock a couple of times instead of once.)
It always shows as locked. Even after I unlock it. And it does lock and unlock... just always shows as locked though.
So yeah there can be multiple problems with these cars (not sure if whoever's seeing this read of my KESSY transistor / antenna saga).

Well I'm at the ground floor of learning how this VCDS works. Keep waiting for the airbag to blow up in my face.
Lots of fun though.

Last edited by thesteve; 05-17-2024 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY THE **** EP. 1