Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 04:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DJF1,
The 20' Cargopro enclosed all aluminum was $8995. With the options (diamondplate floor/ramp, aluminum/carpet walls, aluminum ceiling, 12V and 120V wiring/lights, cabinet up in the V, rear ramp loading lights/polished spring cover...very nice when loading at night/dusk, aluminum wheels, interior mounted spare, escape door, etc) it was ~$12250 or so. N/C for the color choice (doesn't show black streaks and it sort of matches the house when it's parked next to the garage). Did not go with the bottom cabinet in the V nose, as I will be using this space for tires/wheels and perhaps a small portable generator (1000-2000W Honda or Yamaha).
This was right before trailer manufacturers raised their prices ~ 5-10% due to increases in aluminum.
Delivery from Maine to Mass was $200. Empty weight is ~#2400. I'm 6' and I can stand inside with no clearance problems to any of the lights.

The carpet 3' up on the walls is becoming popular, as it protects the walls from wheels rolling around, doors opening and people coming in the trailer and standing with their back against the wall and their foot up....I do it all the time.

The extra cabinet up on the passenger side was $250 (made by Cargopro as well) and all the interior items are from www.rbcomponents.com. Better finish and quality than pitpal stuff and cheaper! I bought a ton of it it from www.cdoc.com when it was 50% off in May, it's now 30% off and still cheaper than pitpal. Had this installed a month after I picked it up.

Still to be installed are racks to hold 2 6 gallon Hunsaker fuel jugs, my nitrogen bottle (air jacks), misc wall shelves for oil, aersol cans, drink cups, tool holders, maglite flashlight and holder, 8' of aircraft L-track, etc again from rbcomponents. Trying to keep everything on the passenger side wall to assist in getting in/out of the car and walking around driver side.

I could have gone with the 18' w/ 51" V nose and still had enough room, but went with the 20' as I was told there is no such thing as a trailer that is too big. Went with all aluminum for resale value, weight and longevity.

For my first trailer, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.....I just have to practice backing up!
Old 06-25-2004, 06:24 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 539 Posts

Great looking trailer Lewis- going to have to look into a 16 or 18' model. Shipping to Iowa probably won't be cheap unfortunately...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to bump this one up again, I know there have been other threads speaking to the same quesitons I'm going to ask.

Since I last posted on this list, we have traded the steel spring CS on a TT and we're considering another enclosed trailer. This time we're going to buy one and are looking seriously at a Featherlite V-nose like the one: V-nose Featherlite

The trailer weighs 3050 pounds and the car still weighs about 3600 pounds. I know some have posted about pulling more weight without any problems. My questions are:

!. Tongue weight is going to be right at the max - 660 pounds. Potential problem? Load leveling hitch recommended?

2. Total weight of trailer and car will be about 6600 pounds. Potential problems.

3. I know PCNA says you do not need a anti-sway device because of the TT's suspension setup but is it just overkill if you use a anti-sway device or is there something that would inhibit the factory setup from working properly?

4. How should I expect this setup to handle, stressing the TT more than I should?

5. What do you guys think of Featherlite trailers? Good quality trailer or paying for the name?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds with experiences/advice.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny story regarding air suspensions and weight distributing hitches.

I was at my trailer dealer and he told me about a customer with a Lincoln Navigator. He bought a trailer, installed brake controller and asked for weight distributing hitch.

He pulled out of the yard and called the next morning. He said the thing was undriveable past 40 mph, as in the rear of the trailer was all over the place, swaying about 6' or so.

He slowly drove it back to the trailer dealer and one of the guys jumped in for a test drive. Sure enough, it was tail wagging.

They get back to the yard and get ready to unhook and start looking around, so he cranks up the jack a few turns and looks back. Nothing. He figures he was talking, so he cranks it up again. Nothing.

He turns to the owner and asks: Do you have air ride on this Navigator. The owner says, I have no idea, I bought it because I liked the color.
Crank up the jack and watch. The air suspension is lifting the back of the car in response to the jack changing the weight. Light bulb then goes off.

Disconnect/uncrank the weight distributing bars and go out for another ride. Perfect up to 70mph, as you would kind of expect.

Quick Reply: Towing questions