Sponsored by:

Budget SMICs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:50 PM
LakeTahoeQuat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Budget SMICs?

What are we all doing for side mounts? I see eurowise near $4k and FVDs upwards of 6 grand!

Would the 957 all aluminum ones be of any benefit to be had for only $200 a piece? They are a hair larger

I could even be persuaded into a chinese option if it could be had for a grand like we see with every other platform..

Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuat
What are we all doing for side mounts? I see eurowise near $4k and FVDs upwards of 6 grand!

Would the 957 all aluminum ones be of any benefit to be had for only $200 a piece? They are a hair larger

I could even be persuaded into a chinese option if it could be had for a grand like we see with every other platform..
I’m all for upgrades, but are there any data showing that the stock SMICs are a limiting factor? If you’re doing more than just a tune (turbo upgrade?), you’ll likely need to go with a custom FMIC like J’s world did. I wouldn’t spend a penny on different SMICs until you have dyno data showing you actually gain something with different SMICs.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:10 AM
LakeTahoeQuat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea I saw his setup.. No was just going to do a stg1 but was concerned about them popping or leaking so wanted to replace when in there. The drivers side oil saturation I hear can weaken the plastic over time
Old 02-16-2024, 11:28 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuat
Yea I saw his setup.. No was just going to do a stg1 but was concerned about them popping or leaking so wanted to replace when in there. The drivers side oil saturation I hear can weaken the plastic over time
I haven't read anything about them cracking or leaking. But the all metal 957 style or CTTS versions are undoubtedly longer lasting designs. My driver's side SMIC is dented on the side from some minor accident from a previous owner. I want to swap it out for a new one, but it looks like it's too much trouble to try to upgrade. I'll probably just buy a new Nissens or Behr/Mahle aftermarket 955 version.

Quick Reply: Budget SMICs?