Sponsored by:

Disabling Electronic Options On Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Disabling Electronic Options On Cayenne

I have an 04 Cayenne S which came loaded with electronic options. I have one more year left on the factory warranty. I have enjoyed this incredible SUV and am starting to contemplate whether I should keep the car another few years or sell it...and maybe get a newer but more basic Cayenne. What I'm worried about are the future repairs of this car's electronic features.

Has anybody here permanently disable features such as proximity/parking sensor system, tire pressure monitoring system? I know you can turn them off temporarily, but they either reset after engine restart or annoyingly remind you via "!".

Also, I am thinking of taking the PCM out and replacing it with a more basic system. Is this feasible?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

TPMS can be disabled by any dealer.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I know you can turn them off temporarily, but they either reset after engine restart or annoyingly remind you via "!".
"!" ?
Are you threatening me?

Also, I am thinking of taking the PCM out and replacing it with a more basic system. Is this feasible?
Yes, it's been done many times across multiple forums (since the infotainment design using MOST is the same between the Cayenne and Carrera/Boxster models).
Pull the headunit, pull the amp, rewire at will.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anybody here permanently disable features such as proximity/parking sensor system, tire pressure monitoring system?
As our Admin pointed out, TPMS (and many other options/systems) can be "removed" via PIWIS programming...although most of the time, the Cayenne "forgets" it has the options and requires PIWIS to reinitiate the option.

So, grab a PIWIS and give your Cayenne a lobectomy...and when you're done, don't forget to tighten the bolts on the neck.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 900 Posts

I think you're better off buying another vehicle. Why have all the electronic options and shut them off? I'd sell it and buy one that has no options if that's what you want.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think you're better off buying another vehicle. Why have all the electronic options and shut them off? I'd sell it and buy one that has no options if that's what you want.
Perhaps this is ultimately what I may do. However, I still like the car and it is a known quantity for me. I was just thinking that the features I identified are not must-haves for me; therefore, in the case wherein they become non-operational, it's good to know that I can just disable them.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anybody here permanently disable features such as proximity/parking sensor system
Just pull the fuse (dash/right side).
Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my warranty gets close to running out - and I'll confess I have no idea how long the warranty is - I'm flushing the pig. Electronics aren't the only thing that can fail on these things.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:45 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richc
When my warranty gets close to running out - and I'll confess I have no idea how long the warranty is - I'm flushing the pig. Electronics aren't the only thing that can fail on these things.
True. I have a new engine on mine...but apparently engine replacement is a rare occurence on these cars (compared to early 996 and Boxsters). It's still an impressive vehicle dynamically and hard to beat as a basic SUV platform.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 04 Cayenne S is CPO-ed till Aug-10 and with a new drive shaft, coolant pipes and rear hatch struts, I figure that most of the stuff that can go wrong has been taken care of now, so I will likely hang on to the p!g for a few more years. With 65+K miles on the odo and in today's market I figure that the hit on trading it in is more than what my wallet wants to bear.

JP
Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
RxPorsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My recently purchased 2004 CTT have already broke the drive shaft, have a dead battery and have to replace the rear hatch's so I'm preparing for the coolant pipes.

But WOW it rides like a dream
Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Update: I decided to sell the Cayenne. In fact, it already sold at the beginning of the week. I thought it would be a good time to sell, given that it is winter time and the warranty is still active (although it will expire later this year). I plan to get a Cayenne diesel (if feedbacks from owners are good overall) down the road. Having said this, I will most likely not own one without a warranty.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:49 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Refreshing an old thread.... Does anyone know if you can code out the Parking Sensors on the 957 with the PWIS? I want to get a bull bar for my 2008 CTT and I understand from Eurowise that the sensors do not work with the brush guards. I have no problem just coding them out.

Quick Reply: Disabling Electronic Options On Cayenne