Configuring a Budget Cayenne V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:15 PM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Configuring a Budget Cayenne V6

Hi,

This is my first post. I have to say that I impressed with the quality of the people and the posts. I am not a Porsche owner (yet) - have an old 1986 Bimmer that has 250k and is about to part out (1-owner). I have a 2-year old, 2nd kid on the way hopefully soon, and this would be the main family vehicle. I would keep it as long as it would last, just like our current car.

My wife would probably rather get a Toyota Sienna Minivan, a Touareg V6, or an older BMW or Volvo wagon (maybe something with a 3rd row like the XC90), but after driving a new Cayenne V6, I am addicted. I can't believe that it handled just like a luxury sports sedan, about the same as a new 500-series BMW which I also took for a test drive. (I did myself a favor and did NOT drive the Cayenne V8 or Turbo). I wonder - is the Touareg-V6 this nice handling, or does Porsche do additional things to the suspension/
traction control?

So what I need to do, is get INTO a Cayenne but at the lowest possible price point, and focus on only the most essential options, if any. I was somewhat discouraged that the Cayenne's sitting at the local dealer are all loaded with primarily cosmetic options (wood trim, NAV, nice wheels) that easily get you into the mid-50's.

I was also hoping the European Delivery would save me some money as it did (and still does) with BMW, but it appears that instead you pay the dealer an extra 1,500 - 2,500 for the priviledge. Well I don't need to see my relatives in Germany THAT bad

So what do you all think of the following configuration,
custom ordered for 2005 delivery:

1) Manual transmission V6 (base price $41,100 for '05) - I hate automatic.
2) PAST (Air Suspension)
3) Moonroof (I don't like the idea of not having on on this level of vehicle)
4) Rear Sun-Shades (good for kid- the store ones keep falling off).
5) Basic Black (is this what the Turbo's have? Or do they have a metallic
black?) I was going to go with Titanium but my wife likes the look of chrome around the windows for that classic look...
6) Black leather (no wood trim). Is this too much black? My wife likes Havannah but the Havanna seems a little to living-room-ish for me, I want it to communicate sportiness...

Thanks! Al
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice Cayenne, but the black I think you want would be "Basalt Black Metallic"....
Old 05-27-2004, 08:01 PM
hotpepr
7th Gear

You might want to consider the power hatch lock. Mine has gotten better over time, but it still requires a hefty push to close. It is also annoying if it isn't completely closed and the car starts beeping at you after you start driving it. It also leaves the interior light on if it isn't closed all the way, potentially causing battery drain if you don't notice it.

It may be personal preference, but I think that black on black can get too hot if the car sits for a while. Stone gray looks good with either of the black exteriors.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good Cayenne to me, if it suits your needs. The Power tailgate latch is standard for 05, along with homelink and spare tire. I think that basic black with black leather will convey sportiness the best. To me, basalt black never looks clean. Basalt is an option on all Cayenne's, as is basic black. Basic is just a no cost option. Tha titanium trim finish on the interior should break up the black enough that it wont be too much.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:20 PM
bobdog
Track Day

I am definitely biased since I am a new owner of a Black with Havana interior S. It is a classic look. You should look at the Basalt Black which I liked as well but is a bit gray. It will hide swirl marks better, but if you worry about that and road grime, stick with titanium. Your options sound good. I have the air suspension and love it. The Nav will be nice one day, but does not enter into day to day driving for me. I have the comfort package, but have not even taken the time to save any settings to memory. Don't really need it since I am the driver most of the time. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
1988carrera
Instructor

If you are in this price range, test drive Touareg V8 (310 HP) and see how it compares to Cayenne 6. However, it does not have manual drive but you get a ton of standard features !
Old 05-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Dash
4th Gear

This is also my first post, and i'm glad someone brought up the subject about a budget Cayenne. I've been beating my brain about the options that I would like. I'm only really interested in Air, Roof and Rails on the Pepper. I think the only thing I'm having problems with is whether to get xenons or metallic paint. The Rail option actually also bothers me too because I'm thinking aftermarket. I'm not trying to be cheap, I just need something that has room, performance and can get me through the winter. I've looked at other SUV's but It's kind of hard coming out of a CLK and getting into a Chevy Tahoe which was almost the case. I also have a 2 year old and the Benz just isn't cutting it anymore. The other thing is what the msrp is going to be for 2005. It would help me know what it is I expect to spend before I put my order in. You all have been very helpful to other posters and I'm confident that You'll be helpful to me. Thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely get xenons instead, it looks way better. Mine is basic black and my brother has dark blue. Both look good and are non-metallic colors.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:14 AM
umfan866
Racer

On the colors, what other color combo's do people have? I'm open to
black w/ Havanna if it looks really smart, with that I would probably want wood trim. Does anyone know if aluminum trim comes standard for 05, or is that an option? Anyone tried the palm green?

Do Xenon lights make the car look better visually? Maybe I should add that in too - also it can never hurt for safety to see farther down the road.

I'll have to check out the VW Touareg V-8 if the vehicles are really that close. I really love the rear end of the Touareg, but disklike the front. On the Cayenne, I love the front end but could leave the honking all-red
rear lights. Wouldn't 928-style lights on the back look really cool on the Cayenne?

Does anyone know whether the air suspension and/or traction control is the exact same in the Porshe as the VW? Ie if you are sticking with the V6, is the only difference really the body style? Also, are the standard size wheels OK for handling on the Cayenne, or do the 19" or 20" wheels really improve performance?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-28-2004, 02:20 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

after you put all these options on the cayenne v6, you are going to be in the 50's-you could get a low optioned cayenne s (with standard bose and auto air) for a little more, as they discount these cars heavily. if you drive a v8 versus a v6, you will see that there is no comparison.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:38 AM
LegoDoom
Instructor

If you want a contrast with the aluminum and think black/black is too much then I suggest blue or carmon red. Both are very nice looking colors and look good with aluminum. I have deep sea blue with black interior and like the contrast.

If you're worried about kids in the back seat with the sun, then I'd suggest four zone A/C. My nephew keeps saying that it's too hot in the back seat even with the air on high and at a low temp. It was very comfy up front, but he kept saying it was hot back there.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

I would drop the PASM and add a trailer hitch. The steel suspension handles greats, plus there are fewer gizmos to break over time.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:44 PM
RUthless
Advanced

umfan866,

1st big problem that I can see is that you want manual transmission. It does not exist on US Cayennes - V6, V8 or Turbo. Its Available in Europe but certainly not the Bay Area.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:04 PM
umfan866
Racer

Ruthless,

There is a V6 manual coming for 2005 model year. Base
price will be 41,100. I don't even think the Touareg has
a manual transmission coming out yet, just Porsche.

See
http://www.autointell-news.com/News-...-05-04-p6.htm:

Porsche(R) Cayenne(R) Gets Six-Speed Manual Gearbox

Company Also Announces New Base MSRPs for the Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo

ATLANTA - Porsche Cars North America Inc. today announced that its third Cayenne model, simply named Cayenne and powered by a six-cylinder engine, receives a six-speed manual gearbox in the 2005 model year. Porsche announced a U.S. base MSRP of $41,100 for the new model, and it also announced new U.S. base MSRPs for the entire Cayenne model line.

Beginning in June 2004, the U.S. base MSRPs are as follows: Cayenne with Tiptronic automatic transmission, $44,100; Cayenne S, $56,300; and Cayenne Turbo, $89,300. This reflects a 2.8 percent, .7 percent and .4 percent increase over the previous Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo MSRPs, respectively.

The newly developed six-speed manual gearbox has an aluminum gearbox casing and a familiar Porsche gearshift pattern. Like Porsche's sports cars, the Cayenne manual gearbox features a short-throw action, and reverse is in its own gate at the front left and is fitted with a spring lock to prevent unintentional shifts.

The Cayenne with a manual gearbox features the same standard-setting on- and off-pavement capabilities of its V8-powered siblings and accelerates from 0 to 62 mph (0 to 100 km/h) in 9.1 seconds (compared to 9.7 seconds for the Cayenne with the Tiptronic(R) S automatic transmission). Both Cayenne models have a top test track speed of 133 mph (214 km/h). This latest addition to the Cayenne line expands Porsche's potential customer base within the high-end SUV segment and provides more opportunities for Porsche's 204 North American dealers.

This new Cayenne model also introduces the Porsche Drive-Off Assistant (PDOA) system, which enables the driver to easily set the Cayenne in forward or reverse motion on steep gradients. With the engine running and the vehicle at a standstill, the driver can engage a gear using the clutch and brake pedals and PDOA automatically maintains brake pressure when the driver releases the brake pedal or parking brake. Once the driver begins to engage the clutch, PDOA releases the brake pressure and allows the Cayenne to set off smoothly. If the driver interrupts the process, PDOA immediately applies brake pressure. Since PDOA is not intended to replace the parking brake, the system is deactivated when the engine is switched off.

All 2005 Cayenne models now feature electronically closing rear tailgates and body colored lower side sill and front and rear panels.

Since its arrival in late 2002, the Cayenne has made a name for itself in the vibrant luxury SUV segment, offering best-in-class on-pavement driving characteristics and exceptional off-pavement performance. In 2003, AutoWeek Magazine readers named the Cayenne the Best SUV/Off-Road Vehicle as part of the magazine's 14th Annual "America's Best" Survey. The Robb Report also presented its "Robb Report Best of the Best 2003" award to the Cayenne in the sport utility segment.

(Apr 28, 2004)

Last edited by umfan866; 05-30-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:12 PM
rsrdan
Racer

Consider a used V8!!.I have been looking ( on a budget also) and found a used V8 is in the same price range as a V6.The sound and feel of the V8 is also a better symphony

Quick Reply: Configuring a Budget Cayenne V6