Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ltc wrote:

An old RF trick is to hold the transmitter/keyfob under your chin when you press the key (really). RF skin effect will cause your body to act like an antenna, although you may feel a bit foolish at first......

I don't wish to offend, but please tell me you're kidding. I assume you are and that you really know what "skin effect" is in the RF world and were having a little private joke. I'll assume the latter and say to you: Good one!

p.s. Your "(really)" is what's throwing me for a loop and I can't tell if you're serious or not.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
An old RF trick is to hold the transmitter/keyfob under your chin when you press the key (really). RF skin effect will cause your body to act like an antenna, although you may feel a bit foolish at first......
I know this is an old thread, but my 'entry and drive' unlocking by hand contact with door handles stopped working suddenly and I was looking for a solution. Starting the car with the dummy key works fine.

I read this last night and tried it today and it actually does work! Holding the key in one and and contacting the door with the other does not work, but holding the key under my chin does. Same thing happens with both keys so I can only assume that there has been a drop in transmission power from all of the car's antennae.

Could this be the start of (car) battery failure?

Last edited by mcbit; 06-01-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomias33
ltc wrote:

I don't wish to offend, but please tell me you're kidding. I assume you are and that you really know what "skin effect" is in the RF world and were having a little private joke. I'll assume the latter and say to you: Good one!

p.s. Your "(really)" is what's throwing me for a loop and I can't tell if you're serious or not.
Actually - he's probably not kidding. Same problem on BMW M3's - same cure. Touch the end of the key to your chin and press the button. Easily doubles the range. Tried it on the Cayenne just 'cause - and the same result (probably the same frequency transmitter.)

Try it.. you may be surprised.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

mcbit
change the key battery before trouble shooting something else, its only a few bucks(dirhams).
I have found the key battery becomes weak after 18 months or so and doesn't work well under a layer of clothes.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both key batteries already changed when instructed earlier by the MFD. Operating range is good on the key buttons.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry