Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the transfer case cause hard shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 06:15 PM
unclebilly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the transfer case cause hard shifts?

I have a couple 955 cayennes; an 04S, and 06 Turbo, and an 06 Turbo S.

I just got the Turbo S and is has a hard 3-4 shift and it slips for a few seconds.

Is this the transfer case of the valve body? Unless the transfer case has a pretty fancy clutch, this seems more like transmission valve body than the transfer case.

Does anyone actually understand why replacing the transfer case ‘fixes’ a hard shifting cayenne?
Old 10-03-2022, 11:31 PM
unclebilly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the transfer case fluid with Rein TF 0870 tonight and it is WAY better but not perfect… yet.

There is no more hammering into 4th but there is a hard shift into 5th / 6th (nothing like before) and as you can imagine you have to be going double the speed limit to find this out. I’m going to do transmission solenoids next and see if that sorts it out. I may do the transgo shift kit at the same time. My rational for just doing thr solenoids is that the cost of the 9L of transmission oil is 1/2 the cost of the solenoids so I only want to replace it once.

Anyone else fixed this themselves?
Old 10-06-2022, 06:25 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 224 Posts

That is the valve body. Not the transfer case.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:32 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebilly
…My rational for just doing thr solenoids is that the cost of the 9L of transmission oil is 1/2 the cost of the solenoids so I only want to replace it once…
I am not affiliated, but this seems like another opportunity to plug FCP Euro. Buy those fluids once, and then you have them free for life (plus shipping old fluids back to them each time). Engine oil, t-case, brake fluid… brake rotors and pads , etc.

Quick Reply: How does the transfer case cause hard shifts?