Cayenne Propshaft vibration help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 02:26 PM
Tom247
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Propshaft vibration help

Hi All,
I had a nasty thumping vibration coming from the prop shaft and was told it was my centre support (donut), so I ordered the EPS Carson shaft support kit from Design 911 and fitted by my local Porsche guy (Indy)
picking the car up it’s worse than before with now a mechanical grinding noise and the vibrations seem to be tied to the car and it shakes at 40-50mpg which it didn’t before
He says it will need a new prop shaft.
so I’m trying to research whats the best way to go refurb or aftermarket. But while looking on forums I’ve seen some people who have had problems where the prop was removed but reattached unbalanced? With similar symptoms.
anyone got any advice

cheers
Old 09-13-2022, 02:55 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom247
Hi All,
I had a nasty thumping EPS Carson shaft support kit from Design 911 and fitted by my local Porsche guy (Indy)
Carson is Cardan ...yes?

Going with one or both are subpar
  • Kit
  • Indy

Last edited by phatz; 09-13-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: kant spel
Old 09-13-2022, 04:47 PM
Tom247
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
yes I mean CARDAN. Autocorrect most likely.
and the kit you have shown is what I have fitted.
yet my car is worse. It’s the proper kit, costing £400
Old 09-13-2022, 07:12 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

That pic is indeed the EPS (European Parts Solution) as shown on the link. I installed that on my 2004 S and it was a great solution. When I did it, I was very cautious about assembly, alignment, etc., and for that reason did not even touch the Giubo. I did notice when down there that the transmission mount had collapsed partially, so I shimmed it up with some rubber hose, getting things back closer to their nominal alignment and orientation.

I agree with the others that most likely the problem is sloppy assembly, and that it just needs to be re-aligned and adjusted more carefully. You will find lots of stories on here where people had vibration issues following this repair, and I think they are all from the same cause.

Last edited by oldskewel; 09-13-2022 at 07:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mongler04 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 01:08 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't waste your money on the EPS kit. Get a new GKN driveshaft and save yourself the trouble. See my post below, where I show a failed intermediate support BEARING that the EPS kit will do nothing to fix:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17791767
Old 09-14-2022, 02:21 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mongler04
LOL whatever, these kits are the best... your bearing failed because it was bad BEFORE the EPS kit was installed. that is very common for someone to install this either incorrectly and toast the bearing or its too far gone. \

No one should listen to your comment... you do NOT need a new shaft.... infact you can drive off the old bearing, and install a new one for $10. the Kit is to fix a failing support rubber mount... not fix a shot bearing.
ALSO your video is BS... clearly the OLD rubber is still installed and thus the kit.. if installed would have never worked. this video is clearly of a bearing that is shot and no kit ever installed so i have no idea what your even trying to get at with it. You have no supporting evidence or information of your story.
If you have no idea how to change out a bearing... but you went all the way to replace a $500 shaft... total fail.
Oh, DUDE, its you again. Great. We'll just have to agree to respect each other's opinions no matter how wrong yours may be.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:36 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

The EPS and new transmission bushing did NOT work for me. I went with a new aluminum solid driveshaft. Works perfectly.

Cw
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 10:42 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

what about it did not work? Im 100% sure that the kit WORKED.. you just had a damaged.. improperly install... or already bad bearing. nothing to fault with the kit. the kit is a near life time repair compared to nearly anything else on the market for the $ including a new shaft.
as i stated... you can easily swap out the bearing for $10 and a few normal tools with the EPS kit. Bottom line that these get a bad review from is from pure ignorance or lack of ability to install as it is a DIY item. unless the shaft was damaged then it will remain balanced.

Throwing parts at the problem with out understanding how to not spend a grand! also these shafts CAN be balanced at nearly any shop that does shaft work. lol
DUDE, throwing money at an overpriced EPS kit is a dumb idea, when it's a well known fact that the the bearing itself fails. You won't know whether you bearing is any good until rip things apart, at which point you end up with a stranded vehicle waiting for parts. The Guibo is also known to fail. For an extra $100 you can have a brand new OE-grade driveshaft with a new guibo that fixes ALL potential problems.

Also, since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, that thing you call a "$10 and a few normal tools" entails taking apart the driveshaft CV joint and a press to replace the bearing, among other specialty tools. I'm sure everybody here has got that in their "normal tools" category.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:07 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

what about it did not work? Im 100% sure that the kit WORKED.. you just had a damaged.. improperly install... or already bad bearing. nothing to fault with the kit. the kit is a near life time repair compared to nearly anything else on the market for the $ including a new shaft.
as i stated... you can easily swap out the bearing for $10 and a few normal tools with the EPS kit. Bottom line that these get a bad review from is from pure ignorance or lack of ability to install as it is a DIY item. unless the shaft was damaged then it will remain balanced.

Throwing parts at the problem with out understanding how to not spend a grand! also these shafts CAN be balanced at nearly any shop that does shaft work. lol
Mongler not sure if you work for EPS, but it did not work. Bearing was fine. I worked with the EPs for a couple months trying to get it to balance and sit properly. Rotated the shaft, measured, balanced and all over and over again. It just wouldn't balance out properly.

The product works for many. Seems like a good kit. But it didn't work for me.

The solid aluminum drive shaft did. Perfectly balanced the first time in.

I have an EPS available if anyone wants it.

YMMV

Cw

Last edited by cwheeler; 09-15-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:20 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

its CARDAN .. not carson... or cardon....
the ONLY repair worth doing to the senter shaft bearing
Originally Posted by phatz
Carson is Cardan ...yes?

Geez phatz, there you go again, always making yourself the senter of attention! ​​​​​​​

Old 09-17-2022, 09:31 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I wish... If i did I'm sure my work shop would not be as ghetto as it is!
Chances are when your support failed it bent the shaft... it's possible... usually on the turbos with mods done to them.
I'm not aware of the solid aluminum shaft upgrade or how it would be installed ... there must be some give somewhere? How much did that set you back?
https://driveshaftshop.com/product/p...all-v8-models/

Been perfect since install.

And no mods when failure occurred. Was actually driving across country from purchasing. Stopped and did the Jimi-fix. Which also did not work well. Unfortunately.

Last edited by cwheeler; 09-17-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:40 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
senter
¿que?
Old 09-20-2022, 07:23 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

I don't get why anyone would do anything for this problem except the Jimi fix. It's cheap, it's easy, it's fast. It costs less than a trip to MacDonalds, a monkey could do it, and you can literally crawl under the truck and be done with it in the time it would take you to limp the truck to your mechanic.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,619 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Mongler, tune down the derogatory attitude and comments toward other members or well give you some cool down time ...

There is more than one way (probably 4 or 5) for owners to resolve this issue and personal preference and cost dictates what's right for any particular owner. There are Jimi-fixes out there with over 100k miles on them and no issues, so that's clearly more than a band-aid type repair.

The solid replacement driveshaft is the most expensive way to go, but also has essentially zero future failure points. Here's what that looks like in case you're curious.

My Cayenne is a family vacation car and one I'll have forever, so anything I can replace to prevent a future failure while I'm 1,000.miles from home I tend to do.

It's the same reason I replaced the plastic intake plenum with a metal ipd one, as the plastic ones all crack eventually.

Let's keep the discussion and information exchange civil and respect everyone's opinion moving forward. Thanks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
19psi (09-21-2022), hopsis (09-22-2022), oldskewel (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 09:34 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I don't get why anyone would do anything for this problem except the Jimi fix. It's cheap, it's easy, it's fast. It costs less than a trip to MacDonalds, a monkey could do it, and you can literally crawl under the truck and be done with it in the time it would take you to limp the truck to your mechanic.
I don't necessarily disagree. Jimi-fix is well proven. But I don't think it should be considered the best/only/last fix. And as is stated above, I wanted something that would be considered quality.... not that the jimi doesn't work, but I don't think it screams "quality" ???♂???♂

Quick Reply: Cayenne Propshaft vibration help