He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind
When the devil finished, George said,
"well, you're pretty good, ol' son
But sit down in that chair right there
And let me show you how it's done"
The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat
And he laid that golden fiddle on the ground at George's feet

The following 2 users liked this post by phatz:
19psi (08-24-2022), oldskewel (08-25-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 09:10 PM
Devil'sAdvocate
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

An AGM is still a lead acid battery, it just has more expensive construction than a typical flooded battery.

They will charge just fine with almost any charger that is designed to properly charge a regular flooded battery.

There are a lot of absolute garbage battery chargers on the market that will undercharge/overcharge/boil your battery dry. Most of these are heavy and buzz when you plug them in.

If the charger you are using has multiple charging modes (bulk, float, maintainance) it is going to charge and maintain your lead acid battery, unless it's the cheapest garbage you could find at Harbour freight and then the blame is all yours.

To argue that you need a specific Sine (SIN is a calculator function, and what I am planning for later this evening) wave vs. Square wave to charge DC seems a little ludicrous. True DC is as square a wave as you will ever find.

An alternator will feed 3 phase AC (true sine wave) into a rectifier and regulator, and the wave (ripple) out of that combination will be very difficult to differentiate from the output of the oscilloscope in the previous posts.

Deltran, Ctek and others make acceptable chargers/maintainers for lead acid batteries. I have a $75 motomaster solid state charger that does the big work, and a battery tender that keeps my goldwing (agm) and other batteries in the shop fully charged and happy.

I may ruffle a few feathers with this statement, but Porsche are made of all the same stuff that Mercedes, Ford and Hyundai are. The real difference is the refinement of the components and the packaging of it all. Batteries (lead acid) are about the furthest things from being unique to a manufacturer or technologically refined.

Cheers, it's 5:00 somewhere.
The following 6 users liked this post by Devil'sAdvocate:
19psi (08-24-2022), Malibu955 (08-25-2022), oldskewel (08-25-2022), PepperLuv (12-01-2022), phatz (08-24-2022), Philip Tan (10-31-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2022, 02:31 AM
JohnnyFDJ
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update - It didn't work. Battery Died Anyways.

So here's the update. I left the car with the Schumacher SP-200 Solar Battery Charger and Maintainer on for 2.5 months and came back before it started snowing. The battery was completely dead, as in zero zero charge. I couldn't even get my key back out of ignition. It took 3 people to jump start my car again.

It would had been better just to have unplugged my battery from under the front seat. I feel like I got ripped off by Schumacher for this product, as it ended up costing me $80 after shipping and import taxes into Ukraine.

Here's the video update:

of coming back to a dead car.

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger?