Unused PCM2 Expansion Bays

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Question Unused PCM2 Expansion Bays

Does anyone know what the two unused expansion bays are for, in the U.S. PCM2? These are located on the right and center of the bottom rear of the chassis. The left expansion bay appears to be populated with the navigation module. The right expansion bay has a panel opening for an antenna hole.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:18 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

One bay is used for the optional VOCS Voice Control System.

Does anyone know the function of this module?

Does anyone have this module?

My guess is that this is provides optional voice control for the European-only optional MOST telephone module.

This still leaves one expansion bay without a dedicated function. My suggestion is that Porsche create a memory storage module to hold the navigation disc data. That way it goes in once, gets stored, then used as required. Updated discs go in once, replace the old data. It is always there, ready to go. Make the capacity big enough to hold all the U.S. maps.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather see this used for a straight a/d converter with RCA stereo input
Old 05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mudman2
I'd rather see this used for a straight a/d converter with RCA stereo input
You know what Michael, you're right. They should offer an expansion slot that provides an auxiliary stereo input and a telephone input, which could be made active when the mute pin is driven.

They could do both modules.

It is too bad that Porsche AG and PCNA do not yet place enough value and assign enough importance to the safety and comfort needs of the U.S. market.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:29 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wingless
My guess is that this is provides optional voice control for the European-only optional MOST telephone module.
Good guess but no, there's no voice control available in Europe yet . Neither for the phone module nor for the complete PCM.

However, now that I think about it, if you shout loud enough at your passenger, he/she will probably dial for you. Does that count as voice control?

Last edited by Matt C; 05-14-2004 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:52 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Here is information form the Porsche web site on the third and final expansion module.

Off-road navigation
This optional PCM module available for all Cayenne models provides satellite navigation in off-road areas not covered by conventional navigation DVDs. Using a combination of GPS and on-board compass, the system offers a range of practical functions: waypoint navigation based on up to 50 user-defined navigation points, route history function enabling easy recording of all off-road travel, manual setting of waypoints while recording a route, and reverse route navigation along a previously recorded route. When the system is in use, the current vehicle location is permanently displayed on the PCM terminal screen.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:55 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Here is information from the Porsche web site on the voice control module.

Voice control
Available as an extra-cost option, voice control allows convenient operation of the DVD navigation system, telephone and audio system (radio, CD player, CD autochanger) by means of spoken commands, so the driver can concentrate on the road. Cayenne models with this feature enjoy a corresponding increase in active safety. Also included is a “memo” feature for easy recording of ideas when driving.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is information form the Porsche web site on the third and final expansion module.

Off-road navigation
This optional PCM module available for all Cayenne models provides satellite navigation in off-road areas not covered by conventional navigation DVDs.
Wingless,

Are you sure that the off-road navi uses an expansion module? RC over on rennteam.com had it "retrofitted" on his TT. He wrote that this functionality is already built-in the PCM. It just needs to be activated by a code.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:19 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The information that I posted was obtained by going to the Porsche UK web site. It was a direct quotation.

No, I do not have any other information, so if Porsche marketing has "translated" features to arrive at the text on their web site, then that may be the source of the confusion.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the confusion is coming from the word module.

In your initial post, you wrote about expansion slots, in which hardware modules can be installed. However, in German, the term "module" is not exclusively used for a hardware module but also for an additional feature pack (which can be installed separately or as in the case can just be unlocked by a serial number).

On the German site, they are talking about an optional expansion, no word about modules ...
Old 06-03-2004, 05:47 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Matt C, that makes sense. There appears to be NO reason to add additional hardware to support this feature, which should be a software-only change. Thanks.

That still leaves one PCM2 expansion bay without a dedicated and defined feature.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

That still leaves one PCM2 expansion bay without a dedicated and defined feature.
How about a coffee maker?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm betting (wishing) that is where the "Sirus" or "XM" radio systems will interface...
Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matt C
How about a coffee maker?
While there are those who would appreciate that feature, I don't drink coffee, or permit beverages aboard, so I would opt out. Also, the vehicle is an excellent cold weather performer. So the issue of frozen water lines would arise.

Instead, I would repeat the earlier suggestions that Porsche should offer two modules.

One is a non-volatile memory module, to hold the map data. New discs would be used to upload the information, then not required again.

The other is a combination auxiliary stereo input module / remote voice telephone input module. This would be useful to the US owners that Porsche has forsaken.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

humm - judging from the technology all of these seem possible and all that is needed is a generic MOST expansion module. this could make for some very cool expansion options in the future.

http://www.mostnet.de/index.php

and

http://www.oasis.com/support/downloa...omotive_en.pdf

token ring (sort-a) for cars

Quick Reply: Unused PCM2 Expansion Bays