Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 06:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rob,
Yes, MOST is analogous to an optical token ring network, at least at the physical layer.

Yes, it is fairly straightforward to design a MOST module, at least from the H/W (trust me on this).

The catch is the software, specifically the headunit.
Introduce a new module onto the ring and without the S/W in the headunit to allow the headunit to recognize and control the new device, you're stuck.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally agree on the software layer issue. however i wonder if the Becker headunit is upgradable (for say a HD storage solution- perhasp it would be reconized as a cd changer(drive) etc.)
I assume if it is possible then the manufactures will build some of the bit's, jsut maybe not the ones that are wanted by people on this forum.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Rob,
Yes, the Becker MOST headunits are totally S/W upgradable. As a matter of fact, any MOST device on the network can be upgraded by merely inserting an upgrade CD into the headunit and flashing the device over MOST.
As I had posted in a previous thread, there is a S/W backdoor in current Becker MOST headunits (unless they have already gotten rid of it) whereby a new device introduced onto the MOST ring would be assumed by the headunit to be a CDChanger, as the current software assumes the only upgrade device would be a CDC-4.
Therefore, a MOST interface device could be designed to respond to CDC commands, say for instance an iPod interface adapter, etc.
The other problem would be the fixed human interface of the headunit, you only have the current buttons for user control.
This can be overcome by buying an off the shelf MOST Wave or MOSTalyzer device and writing your own user interface on a laptop or Pocket PC, which is essentially what we do in the lab for development.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:40 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by ltc
writing your own user interface on a laptop or Pocket PC, which is essentially what we do in the lab for development.
Lewis,

How is that done? Doesn't that step require the head unit source code and a compiler? It is likely that some familiarity with the internal hardware would also be useful. If so, where may this information be obtained?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wingless,
I think I discussed this in a previous post, but basically, Oasis provides you with the S/W tools to write your own MOST commands/scripts. It is called an .oci file (operator control interface).

Depending on what you are trying to communicate with, then yes, it does require some knowledge of the commands. However, MOST does impose some standards for communications/commands for certain node devices.
Once you join the MOST consortium and pay the license fee (re: technical extortion), you get access to all this.

As for a MOST AUX in device, you would not need to talk with headunit, as the device would be designed to identify itself as a CD/CDC. Once the headunit connects to the device, you're done. The audio will be passed to the amplifier over the ring and the volume would be controlled by the headunit volume ****/commands.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:28 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Lewis,

Thanks for the response. That all makes sense for creating a new device to hang on the ring.

Is it correct to conclude that the MOST Wave solution, fooling the head unit into thinking it is a CD changer will not work if a CD changer is already present in the vehicle?

Your prior post discussed creating or modifying the user interface on the PCM2. It seems that a requirement to that task is to have the current starting point. That way all the existing functionality is maintained, while permitting adding new functionality.

Is it correct to conclude that if changes to the UI is required, then the head unit source code will be needed?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wingless,
I do not believe the current headunit S/W will support/understand 2 CDC on the ring.
My proposed 'solution' is based on the assumption that if you had an analog aux in (say for an iPod or equivalent), then you would likely not want a CDC in the rear luggage compartment; CD's would be played in the headunit directly.

Yes, modifying the headunit UI would require Becker source code, as this is independent from MOST.

It's frustrating that I can design a MOST aux in device in a few hours which would work (way easier than designing the amp), but I am forbidden based on my current employment contract. I wonder if there is a statute of limitations
I should probably find out, as I would imagine this would be a popular (and fairly inexpensive) item.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
khushman
2nd Gear

Can someone tell me if the "Voice Control" upgrade to an existing PCM2.1 is as simple as putting the activation module in and running the activation CD? Or is there mic harness needed? Is there any thing else needed?

955 642 130 01 Voice Activation Module
955 642 131 01 Voice Activation CD-ROM
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
khushman
2nd Gear

Is it possible to add this functionality as a kit by installing the module and the sw with the following?

955 642 130 01 Voice Activation Module
955 642 131 01 Voice Activation CD-ROM

Originally Posted by wingless
Here is information from the Porsche web site on the voice control module.

Voice control
Available as an extra-cost option, voice control allows convenient operation of the DVD navigation system, telephone and audio system (radio, CD player, CD autochanger) by means of spoken commands, so the driver can concentrate on the road. Cayenne models with this feature enjoy a corresponding increase in active safety. Also included is a “memo” feature for easy recording of ideas when driving.

Quick Reply: Unused PCM2 Expansion Bays