New to me Turbo S Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 04:54 PM
Navin Jacob
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me Turbo S Owner

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 09 Turbo S. The main reason to get a cayenne was to take it to the dunes (Based in Dubai) and wanted something in which I don't have to do any engine mods hence the reason I got a Turbo S. To get maximum traction in the dunes means I have to lower the size of the rim and after doing a bit of research I realized on the Turbo S (Red Calipers) the lowest I can go on the rim size is 18". Well that was a mistake since I ordered a set of 18" Oz Rally Racing rims with the Eurowise wheel adapters and tried to mount them but the rims do not clear the caliper. Are my brakes bigger than the regular Turbo?. If I would like to install the rims I purchased do I downgrade them to GTS brakes or Cayenne S brakes?

If that is possible could you also let me know what and all parts are required for me to replace?

I have also attached a couple of pics of my problem below

Old 10-02-2021, 06:48 PM
Flapjax101
Cruisin'

You could try taking an angle grinder to the calipers and shaving off a few mm until the wheel spins freely. I have done this before on other vehicles and it worked fine. If you don't care about destroying the calipers it's worth a shot. Just don't go to low and rupture the caliper then it's completely destroyed.
The following users liked this post:
Navin Jacob (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 09:45 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Flapjax101
You could try taking an angle grinder to the calipers and shaving off a few mm until the wheel spins freely. I have done this before on other vehicles and it worked fine. If you don't care about destroying the calipers it's worth a shot. Just don't go to low and rupture the caliper then it's completely destroyed.

Bad idea all the way around regarding modifying the calipers with a grinder.

The 2009 TTS has much larger 380mm front discs. You can go with a 19 inch rim, but the clearance is tight. A 20 is the best option for most applications other than the factory 21s.

Cheers,
Tom
Navin Jacob (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 01:48 AM
Meshari
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Bad idea all the way around regarding modifying the calipers with a grinder.

The 2009 TTS has much larger 380mm front discs. You can go with a 19 inch rim, but the clearance is tight. A 20 is the best option for most applications other than the factory 21s.

Cheers,
Tom
I agree, try to get an OEM or aftermarket 20" rather than butchering the brakes. way mroe options for 20's rather than the 21s
Old 10-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

With that said, Turbo/GTS/S calipers and rotors are far more plentiful and would likely bolt right up
Navin Jacob (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Navin Jacob
AutoX

Originally Posted by Flapjax101
At first, I honestly thought of doing this but I was afraid of doing more damage than good
Old 10-03-2021, 03:38 PM
Navin Jacob
AutoX

Originally Posted by Meshari
I agree, try to get an OEM or aftermarket 20" rather than butchering the brakes. way mroe options for 20's rather than the 21s
Since I already purchased the rims I would really like to stick with 18s plus for the intended purpose the 18s would work really well compared to the 20's
Old 10-03-2021, 03:39 PM
Navin Jacob
AutoX

Originally Posted by Libast
With that said, Turbo/GTS/S calipers and rotors are far more plentiful and would likely bolt right up
Do you by chance have any part numbers as a reference?
Old 10-03-2021, 03:45 PM
Flapjax101
Cruisin'

It does work, it's just a little bit greasy, and definitely a backyard hack job. I suggested it because you want the smaller wheels for the sand dunes, and it sounds like your open to the idea of replacing brakes. It's hard to tell how much clearance you need from the pictures.

It's not the correct way, but it's faster and cheaper, and with that being said it carries risk. There is a lot of pressure built up in those calipers under braking use and they are more prone to failing if you removed too much metal.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Navin Jacob
I do not but you can go onto a website like FCP euro or somewhere and filter by year/model.
Navin Jacob (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:15 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Navin Jacob
IIRC, there have been a couple of members here who have "downgraded" to the smaller turbo brakes. I cannot recall which threads reference their experiences though. @Petza914 is the guy to check in with- he went the other way and upgraded to PCCBs!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 10-03-2021, 11:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,491 Likes on 4,132 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
IIRC, there have been a couple of members here who have "downgraded" to the smaller turbo brakes. I cannot recall which threads reference their experiences though. @Petza914 is the guy to check in with- he went the other way and upgraded to PCCBs!

Cheers,
Tom
I only know about the specific project I did which was a lot of work.

In my Misha Widebody Turbo S build thread there are photos with the bolt spacing for both the side caliper mounting bolts into the wheel carrier and for the top caliper mounting bolts into the adapter.

If someone can provide those same dimensions from normal Turbo front caliper, you'll be able to determine if you can just buy regular turbo calipers and rotors to downsize the front brakes, which I would guess is all you'd need to do and that they'll bolt up to the Turbo S uprights.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:30 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 223 Posts

You also should be able to sell those rotors and calipers. I'll give you $100 for the calipers right now. Mine are scratched.
Navin Jacob (10-05-2021)

Quick Reply: New to me Turbo S Owner