Sponsored by:

2006 Turbo S excessive current drain when parked

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:14 PM
FredR
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by thesteve

Fred, do you have the second battery in the rear?
I figured there would be no second battery but having done a bit of research I am no longer at all sure. The rear "wheel well" has a large Bose sub woofer in it and i read somewhere that a second battery may well sit under that. Tomorrow [Sunday] I will lift the woofer to see if such exists. Cannot see any sign of wiring that would give a clue. If there was a 2 nd battery and it was duff is there a logical reason why that owuld explain the "current drain"?
Old 11-20-2021, 06:54 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

All I know is in my experience, with a dead second battery, my alternator never charged my main battery enough. So things went south quickly, especially after letting the car sit for a week or so.
Also, if you do have a parasitic draw, although it's not a great solution, the second battery (nice new one) would always get you going no matter what.

Can you find your build sheet sticker? On mine it is stuck on the air tank near my subwoofer.

The circled code is for your battery option.
If you go to this website: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/955/
you can find your options from your sticker.
J2C means two batteries.

J0L = 340A 70Ah battery
J0Z = 520A 110Ah battery
J1U = 450A 95Ah battery
J2C = Additional battery in trunk (so 480A 85Ah + 520A 110Ah)
The following users liked this post:
FredR (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 03:21 AM
FredR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesteve
All I know is in my experience, with a dead second battery, my alternator never charged my main battery enough. So things went south quickly, especially after letting the car sit for a week or so.
Also, if you do have a parasitic draw, although it's not a great solution, the second battery (nice new one) would always get you going no matter what.

Can you find your build sheet sticker? On mine it is stuck on the air tank near my subwoofer.

The circled code is for your battery option.
If you go to this website: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/955/
you can find your options from your sticker.
J2C means two batteries.

J0L = 340A 70Ah battery
J0Z = 520A 110Ah battery
J1U = 450A 95Ah battery
J2C = Additional battery in trunk (so 480A 85Ah + 520A 110Ah)
Many thanks for the input and the option code link.

My sticker shows JOZ and should have a 110 Ah battery which initially it did. I had trouble finding such and had to settle for a 100 Ah unit in the same frame size- that of course will not help the problem whatever it is but should still be fine or so i would have thought? Worked fine for the last two or so years with the previous battery until this issue started. Trouble is once the battery goes flat as I understand they do not recover fully even with a smart charger due to sulphonation. Even at the best of times we struggle to get much more than two years out of a battery over here.

One thing I did notice was that it seems to be taking longer than normal to charge the battery and it does not seem to want to go into the trickle charge mode - this may suggest there is something wrong with the [relatively new] battery. The battery shows 12.8 volts after charging so I figured it should be OK but maybe not- any thoughts? Maybe time to acquire a batttery tester unit.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:06 PM
FredR
Rennlist Member

The system appears to be showing about 0.7 amps when asleep and needless to say that is way too much. Have been through the fuse box on the driver's side removing them to test for reduced current drain but nothing obvious so far.

I also disconnected the heavy cable that I presume is connected directly to the starter motor and probably the alternator but that did not seem to make any difference. I then carried out a test that surprised me some. With the battery disconnected I tested for continuity between the battery positive terminal and the earth terminal. With the positive lead of the meter on the positive cable to the batttery and the engative to the earth I found a high resistance as expected. When I reversed the leads I found no resistance. Is this normal or is it a sign that the diode bridge on the alternator has failed- thoughts appreciated.

Will be going through the other fuse boxes tomorrow all being well.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:44 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

.07 amps would be OK but not .7.

Lots of luck with this.

Last edited by v10rick; 02-23-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:01 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Mosfets on the Kessy board go bad as well as 6 diodes.

Quick Reply: 2006 Turbo S excessive current drain when parked