Front Seat Bolts Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:08 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Seat Bolts Removal Question

I want to tilt back the front seat so that I can make a direct power connection to the battery utilizing the external posts just outside of the battery box, which is under the seat.

In order to accomplish this more easily, I need to remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the front of the seat frame down. Looks pretty simple.

However, the manual states - when re-fastening the seat - that I must "Use only new bolts B (the bolts are micro-encapsulated)," see pg 308, item 12.

Can someone please tell me what the heck that means? Will I be unable to replace the bolts once removed, or am I violating some safety issue?

Thanks very much in advance.

Jeff
Old 04-08-2004, 06:01 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

The rear seat bolts had medium-strength blue Loctite. It may be the same for the front. I just reapplied new Loctite and reused the same bolts.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:19 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip, Wingless.

But it seems pretty excessive to specify new bolts (probably at $25+ each) if they're not really necessary and we only need to apply some loctite. "Micro-encapsulated?" Hmmm...

I can sneak under the seat with a small wrench to get the job done if I have to, but I'll have to insulate the wrench, since the hot post connector is very close to several ground points, and I want to be sure I won't short them.

Would be much easier if I could tilt the seat back without consequence.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 04-09-2004, 12:47 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, I did some searching and found the answer:

The bolts are precoated with and adhesive that activates when the bolt is screwed down. In order to meet PAG's spec and maintain the same level of adhesion and vibration resistance, new bolts must be used, the old ones discarded.

When it's time for your battery to give up the ghost, I suppose you will have to call roadside assistance, or bring it directly to your dealer yourself.

In any event, I decided to tackle the job without tilting the seat. Was not that difficult, and all is well.

Many thanks for your help.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by k2kv
The bolts are precoated with and adhesive that activates when the bolt is screwed down. In order to meet PAG's spec and maintain the same level of adhesion and vibration resistance, new bolts must be used, the old ones discarded.

When it's time for your battery to give up the ghost, I suppose you will have to call roadside assistance, or bring it directly to your dealer yourself.
Sounds like Loctite to me...

The rear seat bolts looked like Loctite too.

Don't forget, there is a remote charging point, under the hood, for jump starts and for connecting a battery charger.

Quick Reply: Front Seat Bolts Removal Question