Sponsored by:

How many miles for 20" package?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally posted by Craig
From what I have learned, there are no 20" M+S tires...
Not at all true. LOTS of 'SUV' tires are M&S rated. They are not, however, 'winter'-rated tires. Perhaps that's what you meant?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My past experience w/ all Porsche tires has been that the rear tires go at 10M to 20M miles, as they are all sport tires. M+S tires are much harder and should therefore get much better mileage.
I think you might remember that the Pepper is a front engine rear drive with same size tires (therefore can be rotated).

This is a new experience for P dealers (being able to put rear tires on front wheels).

While the 20's may not have M&S, there are different compounds in high speed tires, that are recognized in the treadwear rating.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I hope to see as these large rim sizes become more popular, is a larger selection. I remeber having my wifes '98 BMW 750 with 18" wheels, pretty much the largest rim diameter out there at the time. The only tires availible where fairly hardcore high performance tires. Today I can buy a set that will easily last twice as long as the originals did for less money and with similar performance. Hopefully, in the next couple of years the tire companies will react and we will have a $250 tire that lasts 40k miles and offers decent M&S traction. For now, my 20's will be summer treads and a set of 18's will go on next fall with winter tires fitted. Kind of a pain but, something I have been doing for years living in snowy climates.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeffrey,

I'm not aware of any 20" m+s tires available. My Mich. Diamaris are 4x4s, but are not rated m+s. Do you have names of manufacturers/tires that come on 20s. I'd love to know of them as an option.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

I'm not aware of any 20" m+s tires available. My Mich. Diamaris are 4x4s, but are not rated m+s. Do you have names of manufacturers/tires that come on 20s. I'd love to know of them as an option.
Craig, both the Toyo Proxes S/T and the Hankook Ventus ST RH06 are. I thought the Kuhmo ECSTA STX was but apparently it's not.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:39 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

I was thinking about getting the 19" Design Wheels on a new S order, but after reading this thread, maybe I should just opt for the 18" M+S / All weather wheels? Like a previous poster, I also had a great experience with some Michelin ENERGY M+S tires that still looked great after 40K miles+ when I sold the car (was an Infiniti QX4) -- is there a good 19" M+S or All-Weather tire that will fit the Cayenne S that will give me 40K miles+ in wear? Suggestions please!
Old 04-16-2004, 11:23 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently put a set of 285/45 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico tires on my 19-inch wheels. They are M&S rated, but I cannot speak to their all-season efficiency since I have not yet been through all seasons with them!

I can tell you, however, that I am more than pleased with them, since they feel great, and stick like glue on both dry roads and under torrential rain conditions at all speeds (this is the wettest April I can recall in a very long time), are "W" speed-rated and the tire wear rating is 420. They look great, too (nice and wide).

Despite their M&S rating, I am not expecting much from them in snow, since the tread pattern is not as open or as siped as I would prefer for "all-winter" driving here on Long Island. That said, I will keep them on to see how they handle once light snow arrives, and if they feel secure, I will leave them on until good judgment dictates otherwise. I doubt I will leave them on all winter.

Available from Tirerack at $204 each. They are incorrectly listed as plain "Scorpion Zero" tires, with a tread wear rating of 300, and you will have to press your sales rep to find them in the system. Strange, but true.

I was surprised (even a little disappointed) when they arrived as the "Assimetrico" tires, but now that they are on my CT, I couldn't be happier.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2004, 11:23 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 19" M&S

Jeff...This is the first I heard of an alternative tire for our 19" wheels.. Yes it has been a wet April..Can you post a pic of those tires..I would love to see tread design.. Tnx
Old 04-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Try tirerack.com, they usually have tread designs.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:18 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Default Re: 19" M&S

Originally posted by RAKLAW
Jeff...This is the first I heard of an alternative tire for our 19" wheels.. Yes it has been a wet April..Can you post a pic of those tires..I would love to see tread design.. Tnx
See my Toyos here. The Hankooks are here. Didn't look to see if either has 19s.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:01 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have 20" on my Cayenne TT, and based upon the wear pattern so far it looks as if they are good for at least 15K. There are slight signs of a little rounding at the outside edges, and the curent miles are about 4K.

I think you will 12-15K easily with normal driving on the Michelins, and to me they are required on all my cars.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Colm
I have 20" on my Cayenne TT, and based upon the wear pattern so far it looks as if they are good for at least 15K. There are slight signs of a little rounding at the outside edges, and the curent miles are about 4K.

I think you will 12-15K easily with normal driving on the Michelins, and to me they are required on all my cars.
Rounded edges may be indicative of city driving (lots of turns, parallel parking, cold tires) You might like to try to add 1 lb air to fronts. My .02

Quick Reply: How many miles for 20" package?