3M Paint Film?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Velick
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Paint Film?

Hello all!

I have an 04' Cayenne S (silver) and I take very good care of the interior and exterior. I haven't got any major chips yet on the hood but know it is only a matter of time especially as we reach the peak road construction season. I have heard the 3M Paint Protection Film is awesome. Does anyone have experience with this product? Does your dealer apply the film? It is apparently not a do-it-yourself project! Any idea on cost?

I appreciate the replies!

Jason in Minnesota
Old 04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Go for it. I have always used black bras and this is so much better, there is no comparison.

My tt had the fims applied since new. The hood, fenders, bumper, headlamps, fog lamps, door handle cups, door edges and below the gas cap are all protected, for just over $800.

The dealership arranged the installation, with an outside company, done at the dealership.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Velick
Track Day

Thanks for the info! I would probably just go for the front hood area and around the lights. The gas area is a good idea. Doesn't gas mess with the adhesive?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:42 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by Velick
Doesn't gas mess with the adhesive?
It might, I don't know. My thought was that when the wife was having gas pumped, this area would be protected from the nozzle. Gas spilling has not occurred, yet.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

I just had a competing product to 3M Scotchcal film installed in SE Michigan. The film my installer used is called LLumar by CP. It looks great! I had the bumper, hood, fenders, foglamps, headlamps, mirror pods, door sills, door edges done, and just below the gas fill door. Highly recommended for northern states!

Good luck with your install.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:48 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

I'll add my voice to yours.

I live in Boston and this never ending Big Dig is like a torture to us. Just yesterday I was driving on the highway behind a tractor that's full of little stones in the Big Dig area and he abused my Cayenne
Tons of these little stones started to fly toward my car. Luckily once I got home, it seemed like no scratches at all !!!

And every day there is a similar story with all these broken roads and flying stones in Boston !!!

I heard about a product called something " .... Glove" Iron glove or metal glove and they do paint protection jobs, any ideas about that?

Or even the 3M, please anything that would set me free from worrying over these little stones. Honestly, on average, I get 5 to 7 hits every day !!!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 12:15 AM
johnhct
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if the 3M or silmilar product would help protect against chipped paint on the doors due to parking lot abuse?
Old 04-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Swede
Intermediate

Jason

Any interest in trying to get Minnepolis based pepper nuts together for a drink or chat sometime this summer?

Dale - Orono
Old 04-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Velick
Track Day

Originally posted by Swede
Jason

Any interest in trying to get Minnepolis based pepper nuts together for a drink or chat sometime this summer?

Dale - Orono
Absolutely! Send me an email at JVelick@creekridgecapital.com
Old 04-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I put on the 3M product about 2 month ago, and it is doing fine. My kit came w/ cover for front, hood, mirrors, door handle indents, and door edge trims. Cost was about $850 plus tax.

Craig
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally posted by Craig
I put on the 3M product about 2 month ago, and it is doing fine. My kit came w/ cover for front, hood, mirrors, door handle indents, and door edge trims. Cost was about $850 plus tax.

Craig
Was this a do it yourself kit? If so, where did ya get it from?
Old 04-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Velick
Track Day

Default I did it!

Well, I did it and the results are perfect! I covered the most chip-prone areas of the hood and near the headlights for under $200 (including tax and installation). The film is barely noticeable on my Silver CS and you can barely make out a line between the actual paint and the edge of the film. I would not recommend this as a do it yourself project. The laying and adhering of the film was pretty straightforward, but the cutting of the film is done while it is on your paint. If you don't know how much pressure to use on the blade I could see someone cutting right into their paintjob (and you know what that means!).

Interestingly enough, when he prepared the area to be covered he found 4 small chips that were already present! I never noticed they were even there!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Pesky,

This is a difficult install, and I'm not very good w/ my hands. So, I found an installer. Took the better part of a day.

I just got back from a 3 day trip to the mountains and was so pleased that I had the protective film on. A lot of big rigs on I-80!

Check the 3M web site: www.3m.com/PaintProtectionFilm. You can probably find an installer there.

Craig
Old 04-17-2004, 06:10 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two Questions...

1. Has anyone had this done in the DC area?

2. How does the film look (oh let's say the Cayenne Green) darker vehicles?

Thanks...
Old 04-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Velick
Track Day

Originally posted by JFScheck
Two Questions...

1. Has anyone had this done in the DC area?

2. How does the film look (oh let's say the Cayenne Green) darker vehicles?

Thanks...

JFScheck-

I would say that darker colors will show the film edge much more than the lighter color of my silver CS. Check with your dealer to see if they have any cars that have this treatment in the same color. You might get a reply on this board as well about that color. Regardless, it is a matter of personal comfort with the film. If you are a "pure-ist" you might not want it no matter what the color is. Personally, I would rather see a slight delineation in the hood but know that I protected against futher chipping. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Film?