Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies every 60 to 90 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004 | 08:28 PM
johnhct
Intermediate

Default Engine dies every 60 to 90 seconds

I just tried to run an errand. I stopped my car while backing out to click my house alarm on my key fob. The TT engine immediately went dead. I turned the key to off and it restarted immediately. I drove the car a block. When I stopped at a light, it died. I thought the idle was set too low, so I put it in Neutral and revved it at the next light. At the next light, while I was accelerating, it died again.

I called my dealer, but the service dept. closed at 1 PM. It was about 3 PM when this happened. I called Porsche Roadside Assistence. They said someone would get there in about 60 minutes. (I've been wondering what the response time would be ever since I bought a car with no spare.)

Since I was so close to home, I restarted and worked my way home. The car would run about 60 seconds, then die. I let it coast to a stop, put it in Park, turn the switch off, then restart and run another 60 seconds. I finally made it home.

Has anyone experienced this?

The Porsche guy asked me if I had just put in gas, thinking I had some bad gas. I did not. It currently has a third of a tank of Amoco Premium. I always fill up with Amoco.

I do have the Entry and Drive option, and occasionally it says "Key not found", but it has never caused it to stop. I took the key out of my pocket and put it on the console, but it still died again.

Earlier today, I backed the car out of the garage, washed it, and drove it back into the garage. It seemed to work perfectly then, but I wasn't running the engine more than a few seconds.

This car has 1300 miles on it and has been running perfectly since I bought it the first week of December.
Old 04-03-2004 | 09:59 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the thread below about engine flooding on the CT. Could be the same thing happened to you due to the short cycling start/stops when you took the car out of the garage.

I know on my Audi S4 biturbo if I shut off the engine too soon after starting, it will will sometimes run rough the next time it is started, and it will pick up some DTC codes for cylinder misfiring (I have an OBD II analyzer on my laptop that can check for DTC codes on VW/Audi products.) But it doesn't even make the check engine light come on. Seems odd that CT's are starting to show a problem with the engine "flooding" (dying) under similar circumstances. Maybe another ECU software upgrade is needed?

Good luck; hope your issue is minor and is fixed quickly.
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:51 AM
johnhct
Intermediate

Well, my mystery was solved this morning. It turns out the gas gauge was off (showed a third of a tank) as well as the Miles Remaing (showed 125 miles remaining).

The car was out of gas. I put a gallon of gas in my garage and the car began to run normally. I then drove it to the Amoco station and it took an additional 25.5 gallons to fill it. With a 26.4 gallon tank, it must have been completely empty.

Ergo, I will not trust the gas gauge when it gets below a half tank. I was on vacation for two of the last three weeks, so the car was driven very little during the last month. I guess that could have had something to do with it.

Has anyone else had a gas guage problem? Apparently, it is not a mechanical guage, but a computer calculation.
Old 04-05-2004 | 03:34 PM
dawktah
Racer

The remaining range is close but an under-estimate in my CTT. I was going to post a question about how its calculated, it appears its related to needle position and not how much fuel is actually in the tank. On my road trip remaining range went to zero and I kept driving for another few miles before I found the missing Mobil station.

John have that gas gauge adjusted.
Old 04-05-2004 | 04:25 PM
Mav
Racer

John, To prevent what had happened to you. I usually reset my milage display when I refuel my car.
Old 04-09-2004 | 12:29 AM
johnhct
Intermediate

Originally posted by Mav
John, To prevent what had happened to you. I usually reset my milage display when I refuel my car.
Mav,

I guess you are referring to the trip odometer. That's a good idea. If we normally get 350 miles per tank, that would be a better idicator than the gauge.

Quick Reply: Engine dies every 60 to 90 seconds