Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne 955 '03 Fans going slow only when AC on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 03:49 AM
davemath
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne 955 '03 Fans going slow only when AC on.

After having a couple old 911's, I picked up a white 2004 Cayenne S P1g with 150k miles last week, and have been fixing the usual problems like the rear seat back cover hot-glue failure, the fogged headlights, and engine torque arm, etc... I bled the brakes with new Pentosin (Auto Zone) DOT4 fluid, the power steering fluid looked gross, so pumped that out and went with CHF202 from Amazon. I heard a bit of gear noise in the front transfer box, and saw oil leaking from the diff drain plug, so drained that, which smelled horrible, put a new washer on the plug and put the same weight Mobile 1 Synthetic from O'Reilly's in. Gear noise is gone!

Did you know with the left and right "turning" H3 lights, if one light is burned out they both won't work? Oh, and the wiring inside the lights is soy based? It was flaking away on mine, so electrical tape may give the OEM lights a bit more life.

The headlights and wheels were refinished professionally. Body was in clean shape!

I'd been looking for one with a black interior and no PCM!

Now that I'm able to drive it, I noticed that the front two fans are not coming on, unless the air conditioner is on.

When the A/C is on, the big fan goes at a low speed, moving a slightly high amount of air. I read that some owners have a fan that comes on at 214 degrees, that the gauge is just an idiot light with a needle, and that the fans only need come on when they are called for. I also read that corrosion takes its toll on the computers directly driving the fans, and the only data you can get from their operation is from a PIWIS.

So since these are expensive and NLA, I'm thinking of buying a fan pair off a low milage crashed P!g from eBay, or could take it to a dealer with a PIWIS and have them "exercise the fans?" That effort is going to cost $140 or so, and the used fans will be the same amount - my gut is telling me to pick up a pair of fans and swap the whole lot out...

Anyone else go through this exercise?

Thanks community!
Old 04-05-2021, 06:50 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome, new owner here to that’s changed almost every sensors and consumable at this stage lol.have a glitch were first fan comes on when gauge reads 3,/4 where you’d expect it to start at 1/2 normally .
I found if you plug out the temp sensor on bottom left of rad it brings in all the fans full speed as a default saver.might be worth trying

question I asked on another forum

Question for the experts
have been bringing my new to me cayenne 957 3.6v6 up to date with servicing bits.
have a temp issue in that when driving under load or uphill the temp on gauge goes from halfway to three quarters (80C to 100C)
I changed coolant and temp sensor at bottom left of rad plus thermostat and still the same , I did have a leak but that’s now sorted and vac bleed .

I plugged in the maxicom Mk 808 and it’s showing 110C water temp and 105C oil temp when at 100C on the gauge , I presume from this I’m fine and gauge is out.

what’s the acceptable range for the water temp ?? And both fans come on at @30% duty

when I pull in the big fast fans off and the hose it’s in is cold(bottom left of rad) , if I plug out sensor fast fan comes on full speed ???

Tks in advance

Last edited by zagamuffin; 04-05-2021 at 06:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
davemath (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:00 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

I've replaced the blower on the passenger side a couple of times. It's not a tough job.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:32 AM
davemath
4th Gear

Thanks guys, I will plug-out on the left side and see if they go full tilt... I'm guessing that's driver side? There isn't a lot of space to get an arm in there!

Also Shawn, passenger side fan is the big one; and you've had to do that twice? I was assuming to replace the full panel, with two fans vs just a fan. What was your reasoning for just one? Did you buy a new single fan? Do you have a part number? I found the smaller one and that's $213...
Old 04-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by davemath
Also Shawn, passenger side fan is the big one; and you've had to do that twice? I was assuming to replace the full panel, with two fans vs just a fan. What was your reasoning for just one? Did you buy a new single fan? Do you have a part number? I found the smaller one and that's $213...
Well, I replaced it twice because it failed twice. The factory fan went at around 90k, and the replacement went at around 175k. I bought a Chinese knock-off from eBay, so I don't have the part number, but they were both super cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-P...wAAOSwOJhgHvXa

I didn't know there are two fans under there, which might explain why the footwell is so cold in the winter.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 PM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Well, I replaced it twice because it failed twice. The factory fan went at around 90k, and the replacement went at around 175k. I bought a Chinese knock-off from eBay, so I don't have the part number, but they were both super cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-P...wAAOSwOJhgHvXa

I didn't know there are two fans under there, which might explain why the footwell is so cold in the winter.

falking about different fans , exterior coolant ones
Old 04-07-2021, 01:30 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

The dash temp gauge always has a lot of hysteresis, it shows something like 90C always when the actual measured temperature is anywhere between 70-110C (or something like that, I don't know the exact figures). If it would show true actual measures, all the drivers would flock to service with "my coolant temperature fluctuates/my car overheated/my car doesn't warm up" etc. It's the same with all cars.

If the upper water hose is cool, it is cool because the thermostat isn't open, that has nothing to do with cooling fans. If You pull the fan sensor, fan speed will always do to max speed as the ecu cannot anymore see the actual water temperature and thinks, better safe than sorry. It is simply a fail safe mechanism.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:39 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zagamuffin
falking about different fans , exterior coolant ones
Oh! I don't know how I missed that. Carry on.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:08 AM
davemath
4th Gear

Thanks again for the comments here! I picked up a pair of used fans in the housing on FleaBay for $100 off a 66k mile Turbo P!G. I assumed that the Turbo would be given more love, parked inside, etc. Swapped that in, it was only two tabs to clip in and two on the top and bottom, not really setup for off roading! The problem is solved. All fans run now regardless of AC settings. I didn't troubleshoot what controller was bad, because for $100, who cares!

Now that it is getting warmer outside I'm starting to see and smell oil burning on the right header. Time to address that issue!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:29 PM
davemath
4th Gear

So I began digging into the driver side plugs as I wait for my XYZ-12 to arrive to remove the torsion bar, I see that this P!G has a very custom setup of combination NKG/Bosch plugs on every other port! What do you guys think the passenger side will have?

Also, looks like that valve cover gasket was in good shape, as no oil was on the headers. Looks like the top-notch mechanic before me also didn't have a triple-square and only replaced the gasket on the go fast side!

Here's what gives me the night-club interior effect....

Passenger side smoke screen - oil drips right on the header heat shroud.

If Bosch OEM is fast and NKG is faster, do both together make it insanely fast?

Love fixing all of these things. Some people do crossword puzzles. Not me.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:13 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

when did you replace your blower and how has the Chinese one been holding up? It need to replace mine and I'd rather not spend 150-200 on the OEM supplier ones...

Quick Reply: Cayenne 955 '03 Fans going slow only when AC on.