Sponsored by:

Coil/plug day and grainy Boroscope images

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

...so other than the addative and a half baked plan here's the one definitive action I'm going to take to follow up;

I mean, it really does have pretty cladding on it and all....
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:00 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I wouldn't even consider a used engine. That video I just posted with the ticking engine? That was the 105k mile eBay engine that I purchased to replace the original engine that was in the car. So, yes, I did everything over twice.

As for price, I'd ballpark $11-12k to refresh the engine internals and replace all the miscellaneous related bits that should be replaced when refreshing an engine on a 13-year old car. That doesn't include turbos, labor, or specialty tools. If you want to skip the heads, which I wouldn't recommend, then you can save some money.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:02 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

yeah...wait and see to save isn't ideal

Last edited by Davebrossi; 03-25-2021 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-25-2021, 04:06 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
yeah...wait and see to save isn't ideal
Why not first do an oil analysis, then based upon the results do the next steps.

There r a couple folks on here who have rebuilt their engines and probably could give guidance. I mean after all it's just an engine.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:47 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It is; and to my surprise, back to a wall though I'm not a fan of it, emergency used motor while sorting things out is achievable after all. I need to change the oil when I get the Ceracote anyhow. It will not hurt to send it to them. The picture of the pretty pretty 4.8 turbo motor, however, stays up. I like looking at the places where there should be hard lines to the intercooler stuffed with rags and remembering I actually have those joints :-)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 PM
brett968
Racer

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Why not first do an oil analysis, then based upon the results do the next steps.
You can run all sorts of additional tests but it isn't going to change the diagnosis. Everything is there to indicate bore scoring: fouled plug, obvious low-end tick with the right periodicity and tone, appropriate mileage for onset of problem, vehicle year with worst incidence rate of failure, etc. I don't want the OP to get any false hope.

Last edited by brett968; 03-25-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brett968
You can run all sorts of additional tests but it isn't going to change the diagnosis. Everything is there to indicate bore scoring: fouled plug, obvious low-end tick with the right periodicity and tone, appropriate mileage for onset of problem, vehicle year with worst incidence rate of failure, etc. I don't want the OP to get any false hope.
I totally agree with you, but still would be nice to see the test results since I don't think anyone has posted up such.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:17 PM
brett968
Racer

I totally agree with you, but still would be nice to see the test results since I don't think anyone has posted up such.
Ah, I gotcha. That's not a bad idea--in fact that is a really good idea. If it were established that bore scoring presented a distinct Blackstone signature then this could help others reach a diagnosis in earlier stages of bore scoring, be included as part of a PPI, etc.
TRINITONY (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:25 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, that's sold me on it. As I said, I want to dump the existing oil (we're at about 4,000 miles) then add new plus additive package. Otherwise I've a stack of projects that really don't impact the engine already paid for to work through while hopefully raising the necessary capital within an appropriate time frame to do a proper rebuild. Time is the big unknown where the part about hope comes in. But no one can see the future, so in the meantime it's remember -not- to ever try to epoxy the entire case of the rear climate control panel to make up for the cracked housing ever again (it puts pressure on the LCD display effectively ruining it) carefully paint over the 'S' on the salvage panel and keep driving.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:43 AM
oregondave
Banned

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Yeah, I'll add video while getting a compression check set up. Not feeling so hot. Yes I know buyer beware, cold oil but here's sound and film not fully at temp.

https://youtu.be/3Fzad4PcKVs
this sounds fine to me?
Old 03-27-2021, 03:31 PM
brett968
Racer

Originally Posted by oregondave
this sounds fine to me?
It isn't.

It's not about the sounds that should be there and that are normal, it's about the sounds that shouldn't be there. Listen to the video of my old engine and get a feel for what the piston slap sounds like. Then listen to his. The problem is more pronounced on my old engine and I move the camera around which makes it easier to pick it out, but the same piston slap can be heard in his video.
RT930turbo (03-31-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 06:27 PM
brett968
Racer

Here's another way to develop one's ear to hear the piston slap. The engine in the video below exhibits none of the audible symptoms of piston slap. Listen to this video, then go back and listen to the OP's video. Can you hear the tick in the OP's video which is missing from the video below? Once you tune your ear for it, the sound of piston slap is clear as day and easy to pick out from a recording.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:01 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brett968
Here's another way to develop one's ear to hear the piston slap. The engine in the video below exhibits none of the audible symptoms of piston slap. Listen to this video, then go back and listen to the OP's video. Can you hear the tick in the OP's video which is missing from the video below? Once you tune your ear for it, the sound of piston slap is clear as day and easy to pick out from a recording.

https://youtu.be/D_91EuudOX0

Nice engine, his beauty covers r missing the same 2 rear fasteners like mine. The regular fasteners (recently bought a few) don't fit there. Anyone knows- is it just a regular screw? Me thinks my engines is quieter ...lol

He recently posted another....

Last edited by TRINITONY; 03-27-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:32 PM
brett968
Racer

He recently posted another....
Hmm, I'd definitely want to listen to that engine in person if I was buying the car. It's not blatant like the other examples here but there is something subtle which could be indicative of early stage bore scoring. It could be nothing but it's enough to give me concern.
TRINITONY (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 12:25 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In my vehicle, back left hand side by the firewall. Around, say... Cylinder 8. As for those fasteners, they're triple square screws, I've got one of them still installed somehow (my last Cayenne was missing both, I'm sensing a tradition here regarding side of the road cover removal?) They are.... particular. Wonder if I can match the thread series with something else. Tiny, coarse, mean bite to them. Yes, I'm elaborating on screws. I like my failing engine better :-)
TRINITONY (03-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Coil/plug day and grainy Boroscope images