Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 PCM is DVD-based; retrofit possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004 | 02:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Testndoc

Its always been 6.5 on the Cayenne

David

I am at a bit of a loss as to your problem, I always play music thru the dash cd player, in fact its either that or the iPod I rarely use the changer.

The fact is that I need the Map CD in for about 5 minutes when I plan a NEW route then its out and playing music again. When you go to the same places all the time, as most people do, it remembers all previous data and does not as ask, or should I say once in 10 months, for the Map CD again.

Its not an issue.

I would agree that an in-dash changer would be nice.
Old 03-30-2004 | 03:51 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by mudman2
I am at a bit of a loss as to your problem, I always play music thru the dash cd player, in fact its either that or the iPod I rarely use the changer.

The fact is that I need the Map CD in for about 5 minutes when I plan a NEW route then its out and playing music again. When you go to the same places all the time, as most people do, it remembers all previous data and does not as ask, or should I say once in 10 months, for the Map CD again.

Its not an issue.

I would agree that an in-dash changer would be nice.
Mike - Let's agree to disagree.

First, I NEVER want to have to swap the Nav CD in and out of the PCM system. My experience has not been the same as yours. Just because I've already planned a route for a particular destination does NOT mean that the PCM remembers it. Most of the time, it needs the Nav CD to recalculate the route. But that is not the overriding issue.

The primary issue is that PCM does not always calculate the ideal route. I may choose to take a slightly different route. As soon as you deviate from the calculated route, PCM generally requests the Nav CD to be inserted - again. I do not want to have to swap discs. I do not want to interrupt the music.

This is not an unreasonable or unwarranted request, at least in my book.

For me, this is an issue.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

PCM is about the only current factory Nav system that does not offer a drive dedicated for the Nav CD or DVD. That changes in MY05 of course...
Old 03-30-2004 | 03:56 PM
Mav
Racer

OK,OK, Let us wait for the DVD Nav retrofit kits for our CD based PCMII
Old 03-30-2004 | 05:08 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

Hi Dilipetz....My PSM has never required that I re-insert my nav disc if I don't follow the route as calculated by "Helga" rather it just automatically recalculates from wherever I have wandered off course to ......and brings me back to whatever heading is necessary to reach my destination.
Old 03-30-2004 | 06:24 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally posted by Harbormaster
My PSM has never required that I re-insert my nav disc if I don't follow the route as calculated by "Helga" rather it just automatically recalculates from wherever I have wandered off course to ......and brings me back to whatever heading is necessary to reach my destination.
Interesting. Sometimes this is true for me as well, but other times I hear "Please insert the navigation disc". Guess it depends on the area and the extent of the deviation.
Old 03-31-2004 | 04:48 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Originally posted by dlipetz
I'm glad your dealership does that. A shame so many Cayennes were ordered by dealers with PCM but without the CDC-4. That is how I ended up in my predicament.

But my point is that the in-dash CD drive on the PCM is vastly more convenient than the rear-mounted changer. So having the in-dash drive available for audio would be a real convenience and help overcome the rather archaic system design.
We found out the hard way! The first few Cayennes we delivered with Nav all came back for CD Changers. Now if we order nav, we order the CD Changer, even if we have to include it for the customer.

CD Changers are still annoying. A front mounted DVD unit will make things more convenient.

Old 04-01-2004 | 11:55 AM
JeffES
Pro

"PCM is about the only current factory Nav system that does not offer a drive dedicated for the Nav CD or DVD. That changes in MY05 of course..."

Funny. My Dad's Buick works as does PCM. One slot above the screen, and it plays CDs (not MP3's as their owner's manual states, though my Dad doesn't really care @ MP3's :-).... and the single map disc.

Remember, "DVD" doesn't really mean anything - it's just that they (NavTech) sells the data either on one disc or on multiple discs. It's up to the buyer (car company) to work with NavTech to spec out the data, so it varies from car company to car company. For example, the GM disc is very rich in POI data, phone #'s, and other info, but is quite weak on more rural/"far out" suburb mapping. It's all a compromise.
I have noticed that a route change in a data rich area seldom needs a disc re insert, while a route change in a less data populated area usually does need a disc insert.
J
PS - do a bit of research (I don't think it's NavTech's site) - there's a site out there that has NavTech's data map showing areas of data intensity across the US & Canada.

Quick Reply: '05 PCM is DVD-based; retrofit possible?