Sponsored by:

airbag error light

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 01:15 AM
jsfmd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag fault

Still waiting (more then one month this time, last time about 7-10 days, first time 1 day) for the airbag light "fix." My dealer was kind enough to give me a loaner Cayenne S to use as I continued to pay off a car I couldn't drive. As frustrated as I was, I was thankful that the dealer was so attentive. Then the loaner quietly died this weekend -- went to start it up this morning, put the key in the ignition, and NOTHING happened except THE KEY GOT STUCK IN THE IGNITION AND IT COULDN'T BE REMOVED. We eventually determined that the battery was probably dead (even though there was no obvious reason for this) so recharged it. As it was recharging, the left front light and left taillight were on EVEN THOUGH THE LIGHTS WERE SWITCHED OFF. I am beginning to think that Porsche took lessons from Rover (perhaps Jaguar) in developing their electrical systems!

Thanks dealer. Porsche of North America, wake up! You can't beta test super expensive cars in America and expect people to continue buying them.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:00 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

>>I am beginning to think that Porsche took lessons from Rover (perhaps Jaguar) in developing their electrical systems!<<

Sorry, but my first model year '03 Range Rover hasn't had any of the problems that I have seen on the Cayennes. Had some condensation in a fog light... but the dealer replaced it and no problems since.

John
'03 Range Rover with 32k miles
Old 05-04-2004, 02:16 AM
1988carrera
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your CS, but what year and build date is your vehicle? I am curious to see if this is an ongoing problem or an old one.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 AM
jsfmd
Track Day

Default Airbag fault light

I don't know the build date ... the paperwork is in the car and it seems to live at the dealer in another state. When I get it back, I'll post it.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:36 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

It sure sounds like you drained the battery of your loaner CS by leaving the left parking light on all night.

On page 123 of the Cayenne Owners Manual it says that "The parking light can only be switched on when the ignition is switched off."

You then move the turn signal lever up or down to switch on the right or left parking light respectively.

I hope this cleared up your current problem. It helps to read this manual carefully to understand and take advantage of all the neat engineering built into the 955. (I'm still reading the manual myself).

This forum also is the best!!

Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

BTW, in order to remove your ignition key when the above situation occurs, turn the key all the way to the left side and this will disengage the key and let you remove it (this happened to me when my unprogrammed valet key wouldn't start the car and the car's immobilized went on).

Old 05-04-2004, 08:05 PM
jsfmd
Track Day

I was informed today that just changing the wiring harnesses may NOT solve the problem. Porsche now says it is the CONNECTORS that are the problem. They will be changing mine tomorrow -- hopefully will get the car back at that point.

In response to the loaner problem: thanks for the info. My manual is with my car in....the shop. The loaner had no manual. Learned the hard way. Thanks though for the information.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:51 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Re: Airbag fault light

Originally posted by jsfmd
I was informed today that just changing the wiring harnesses may NOT solve the problem. Porsche now says it is the CONNECTORS that are the problem. They will be changing mine tomorrow -- hopefully will get the car back at that point.
Originally posted by wingless
Has the wiring been inspected?

Specifically, the connector behind the top steering column switch, the connector in the center of the steering wheel and the connector at driver's airbag unit.

The driver's airbag unit connector must be visual ONLY.
It is very good that they are closing in on the problem!

There are two components to connectors. The connector housing and the contacts.

If the connector housing has a problem, such as a defective mold, which prevents the connector contacts from maintaining a low resistance connection, then it is likely that the contacts could be removed from one housing and installed into a new housing.

But, if the problem is with the connector contacts, then the contact must be replaced. In almost all instances this requires an expensive, specialized tool, with VERY specific instructions. So, if the contacts are to be replaced, I would be very concerned that they have correct tools, instructions and training.

If the wiring harness contacts are bad, then the best case fix would be for the dealership to snip off the old connector and then splice a new partial harness in its place, with a new connector populated with new contacts. This is a low technology fix that could be implemented with commonly available tools, instructions and training.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:15 AM
jsfmd
Track Day

It is my understanding that Porsche has issued new connectors (housings and contacts) which will replace the old connectors. Whether this involves (1) splicing wires or (2) just cutting off the old plug, stripping wires, and inserting them into the new connector, is unclear at present. It is also my understanding that the intent is to replace the connectors on the harness under the seat to the airbag, and not the connector behind the top steering column switch, or the connector in the center of the steering wheel. I will ask about this tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:04 PM
jsfmd
Track Day

Sorry for incorrect information given earlier. It turns out that Porsche replaced the PINS on the connectors, not the connectors themselves. Just got the car back today and hopefully the problem is solved.

I believe my build date was 8/29/03.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:28 AM
jsfmd
Track Day

Finally got my car back after > 1month in the shop. The airbag light is off. Now the gas guage doesn't work and the computer that tells you how many miles you have left on the tank is also out. All other computer options are functional. Not a satisfactory trade-off. I am not a happy Cayenne owner at this point!! I wonder how many of you have had these recurring electrical fault problems with the cars? Is it 5%, 25%, 50%, more?
Old 05-12-2004, 09:20 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

In order to facilitate the problem investigation, could you please endeavor to accurately describe the sound created when banging your head against the wall?

Hopefully Porsche, PCNA and the dealership will realize that the issue is not that problems have occurred, but instead their actions to provide resolution and satisfaction.

Does the work order indicate the actions for resolving the airbag failure?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:35 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Just got the CS back. They changed the entire airbag assembly and module under the driver's seat. they told me everything was functioning properly now and that this should fix this issue.

They also checked my wire harness near the emergency brake pedal and the crankcase housing and all was fine. They said this service had apparently (previously) been performed at the factory.

Old 05-12-2004, 11:55 PM
jsfmd
Track Day

Default Airbag light fault

The work order indicates they changed the pins on the connectors, not the connectors or the harness or the airbags.

The car is going back tomorrow to fix the fuel guage malfunction. The real challange is for the shop to return the car fully functional and capable of running for more than 1 month without an electrical or mechanical problem. The odds of this occurring seem vanishingly small. Can't blame the shop. I can blame Porsche for poor design and quality control.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:52 AM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

I should just welcome myself into the air bag faulty world, it hapened 3 days ago, I called my dealer and got an apointment for next week, not just for air bag but for more stuff.

My question is this, if they have to keep my car for more than a day or so, do they give us a demo so we can drive to work or whatever? ? ?

Quick Reply: airbag error light