Sponsored by:

airbag error light

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 01:09 AM
jsfmd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag error light

The real issue is whether the airbags are fully functional. Who wants to drive the vehicle long enough to get 25 ignition cycles without a functioning airbag system.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:50 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Re: Airbag error light

Originally posted by jsfmd
The real issue is whether the airbags are fully functional. Who wants to drive the vehicle long enough to get 25 ignition cycles without a functioning airbag system.
Doctor,

The vehicle will indicate when an airbag fault exists. It may be safely assumed that the airbag will not operate as intended, at that time. However, when the fault indicator has extinguished, the fault codes, for that intermittant problem will automatically be purged from the vehicle memory, after 25 ignition cycles.

So, if the intent is to recover the fault code for problem diagnosis, the vehicle must be interrogated during that period.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
jsfmd
Track Day

Default Airbag Fault Light

Thanks for the clarification. The dealer told me today that Porsche has authorized replacement of the drivers seat airbag and wiring harness (the controller unit was replaced last time). Won't have it back until next week. It is interesting that the service people are unaware of the BBS and truly don't know (or won't admit they know) how many others have similar problems!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:11 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Airbag Fault Light

Thanks for the clarification. The dealer told me today that Porsche has authorized replacement of the drivers seat airbag and wiring harness (the controller unit was replaced last time). Won't have it back until next week. It is interesting that the service people are unaware of the BBS and truly don't know (or won't admit they know) how many others have similar problems!
Any chance of coaxing the fault code from them?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:57 PM
jsfmd
Track Day

Will ask.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:02 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Sorry for the late reply but I'm currently on a business trip. My Porsche tech. told me that the same fault code was present on the computer despite changing the Air Bag and its module as recommended by Porsche.

He told me I needed to leave the CS with him all day to fix this problem. The fault code is 1217.

I told him that I was sharing this info. with my fellow rennlisters and would tell him any useful info. I can gather. He was very receptive to any help we can provide given I'm not the only Cayenne with this problem there.

TIA!

Old 04-11-2004, 11:06 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

ljugete, thank you very much for obtaining the fault code!

Has the wiring been inspected?

Specifically, the connector behind the top steering column switch, the connector in the center of the steering wheel and the connector at driver's airbag unit.

The driver's airbag unit connector must be visual ONLY.

The effect of this fault is that the airbag light will be illuminated and the driver's airbag is disabled. Not good for those times when the vehicle occupants include a driver...
Old 04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thank you Wingless. That's great. here I am taking several long trips to NW WI without a functioning driver's side air bag!

I'll be sure to have this taken care of once and for all on Wed., God willing!

Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy I sure hope mine doesn't develop "airbag light syndrome", my wife will be nothing short of furious. This is one huge reason we are trading her BMW on the Cayenne, namely, two to three dealer visits per year for airbag warning lights. As little as that car is driven, it translates in to what feels like the light coming on every time it gets driven.

Is this a failure that could make a vehicle eligible for the lemon law? I would think that it is a safety issue, and therefore qualify. I refuse to live with another vehicle with "airbag light syndrome" Thinking that it may be fixed completely is wishful IMO. I have been wishful for four years to no avail on the BMW.

As to the question about how long do you want to drive it without functioning aribags? I guess that is a personal one, I wish it had no airbags period. I puposely sought an '89 928 because it was the last year before airbags and did the same with my '86 951. I have NO use for them. Three point belts are all the safety I require.

Here's to hoping a solution is found
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 AM
hotpepr
7th Gear

I'm not sure whether this applies in your case, but I had a nagging intermittent problem that took multiple trips to service before it was found. The driver's side airbag light was eventually determined to have been caused by a bent relay in the airbag system. As you can imagine, it was really difficult to diagnose. It also affected other parts of the electronics.

Before the airbag light went on, my gas cap opener and hatch opener failed. After tracing much of the wiring to find a short, they thought that the controllers were bad, so they replaced them, and the problem was solved temporarily.

Soon afterward, the airbag light went on for the first time, I drove immediately to the dealer, they put it on the diagnostic machine, and they found that the system was trying to switch to the 2nd battery (which I don't have). The recommendation was to monitor the situation, since all faults are recorded in the computer. I got as far as the first time I turned the car off, and it wouldn't start again. Back to the shop where they determined that the battery was bad, so it was replaced.

The next time I drove the car, the light came on again. This time, they wouldn't give it back until they found the problem, nor did I want it back. After a while, they found the bent relay. They also told me that the design of the car serially shuts down non-critical electrical sub-systems for the car's protection when it detects certain electrical problems. I'm not a technical guy, so I accept this explanation.

This is a longer post than I anticipated, but I want to make the point that your airbag problem may be a symptom of something other than an airbag problem.

I also want to compliment Porsche on how they handled the situation, although it took patience on my part.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:34 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Thanks hotpepper! I appreciate that info. and will let you know what they find.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:38 PM
jsfmd
Track Day

The fault code is 1217.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:33 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Airbag Fault Light

The fault code is 1217.
Thanks Dr. F.

The vehicle should be inspected as detailed in my 4/11/04 post.

Both fault codes are 1217! Good information to know.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:41 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Have the problems experienced by jsfmd and ljugete been resolved? If so, what was the solution? Are there any others with the airbag failure warning lamp?
Old 05-01-2004, 11:25 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I'm still waiting for a new complete airbag assembly ordered by the dealer. They think this should take care of this issue (I hope they are right).

The Tech. will check for all sites previously mentioned while installing the new unit. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Quick Reply: airbag error light