Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle moan - repeatable condition, do you have it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Axle moan - repeatable condition, do you have it?

I have an axle moan condition in my new Cayenne S. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. To duplicate the conditions, here's how I get it to sing:

1). Find a quiet stretch of road, turn off the HVAC, and radio, close the windows
2). Drive 53-55 mph in D6 (trans 6th gear) @ 1600-1900 rpm (Light throttle)
3). Listen for a middle tone coming from the front seat area or forward.

Let me know if anyone can get this same noise.....(mine also exhibits in float/coast 60-50mph)

Thanks! The CS is going back to the dealership today, they said this was fixed on Friday....

Old 03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to wonder if we as consumers need to adjust our expectations somewhat on driveline noises. This is a 4wd truck, it has a bunch of heavy duty hardware spinning down below. I think that it may be a bit unrealistic to expect that it will be totally silent.

I don't mean to minimize your concerns, and by all means get it fixed if it is fixable, but when you start talking about finding a perfect stretch of road, rolling the windows up, turning off the fan, and listening for something in a very specific speed range, you might be asking for the impossible.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cardan shaft perhaps?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

By all means, buy a Dodge!
I can hear my axle clear as a bell with the A/C on, and Radio playing. Living in Michigan, I haven't had the windows down yet.

Given the vehicle type, I am willing to put up with some wind noise, tire 3rd order noise, etc. And oh, what a fuel pump!

Having HVAC/radio off during an evaluation ensures you are not picking up something else, and can focus on the noise. I do not believe a bigger amp should be the proper solution to NVH conditions. I also believe this vehicle is an exception to the production norm, otherwise I would not have requested feedback.

Regards
Old 03-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, but I already own two Dodge trucks, they are actually impressively refined for 1-ton 4wd diesel trucks.

I am curious as to why you think that the Cayenne should be some sort of exception? I also have a couple of M-B G-wagens, one older and one newer. I have replaced all three driveshafts on the newer one chasing moans and vibrations. They are mostly gone. I do accept that 4wd means a bunch of extra hardware, regardless of who builds it. I expect less noise in a full time 4wd system as opposed to the more crude part timers but still my experience has been that it is part of the nature of owning a truck.

Good luck getting it taken care of, spare me the snide replies
Old 03-23-2004, 05:54 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I experience similar moaning at very low speed, and especially when in the 1600-1900 rpm range at various road speeds.

However, revving a three-ton truck from these RPMs at 50 mph always seems (to me) to be "lugging" the engine (something the manual warns against) so I will generally downshift in this range. This always smooths everything out and, if there were a "thank you" light on the dash, it would surely light.

Even my wife's RX moans a little when finding its get-up-and-go.

The Cayenne may move fast and handle better than anything in its class, but - - it is, after all, a truck!
Old 03-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

My 97 F150 with 94k miles is very quiet, no noise or vibration. At half of the MSRP of the Cayenne it evidently was a bargain. I have alot of respect for the Porsche vehicle engineering team, I assure you that their expectations exceed those at the Blue Oval.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 PM
SFernando
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The only moans I hear when driving the C are my own!
Old 03-24-2004, 02:02 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Have to say noises don't bother me my 996 gots squeaks and rattles but hey don't sport cars got that rigidity equation mixed in esp on the track-I won't be hearing sqeaks or rattles -more like full on throttle and stop on a dime braking-that's my cup of tea. Went to Vail, Colorado for snowboarding for 5 days(wed-sun) and renting a chev trailblazer- talk about crappy handling. Coming home and driving my pepper mobile makes it all bliss : ). Yes I did moan when I drove the trailblazer but coming back home it's all "Yahoo for the Pepper mobile!!!". Regards. Mike

Quick Reply: Axle moan - repeatable condition, do you have it?