Sponsored by:

Claiming a lemon S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:33 PM
WCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Claiming a lemon S

After numerous unsuccessful tries in fixing the ever-annoying vibration issue, I'm about ready to claim my '03 CS a lemon. Love the car otherwise but I'm just too busy to deal with constant worries about when the car will break down again.

Anyone care to share their experiences with PCNA w.r.t lemon issues? What is the best route to take? I'd also like to hear from owners with positive experiences with their Cayennes; I'm worried about getting another one unless I can get confident votes from fellow owners.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:41 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do a google search on the lemon laws, there is plenty of technical information available. You'll know after reading it whether the circumstances fit the facts. I think you have to have lost use of the car for 30 days or 4 attempts to fix it.

If the circumstances fit, just be insistent and clear in what you want, and things will fall your way. If they don't you can appeal to Porsche's goodwill and maybe they will do something.

I've had no issues with my car.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:16 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Unless it is an open and shut case, PCNA will fight you if you go the route of lemon law. Before I went that route (unless really clear cut- which it never is), I'd try to get your dealer to get PCNA to do a trade assist into a new vehicle.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:48 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

thats what we get for having the 1st edition cayenne's!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:49 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually although it has been mentioned a few times I do not recall any confirmed lemon law replacements.

Am I wrong ?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe that PCNA's most likely response would be to offer you a rather substantial discount on a newer model.
This has been done on early 996's to several customers. You get a certificate from PCNA (with a specified $/discount amount) which any Porsche dealer will honor; however the coupon will have an expiration date...most likely one year.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Stirs
Instructor

Ask your dealer to arrange a meeting between yourself and the regional service rep. from Porsche. Clearly but politely express your disatisfaction to him letting him know the only accepatble solution is a replacement vehicle. Absent a positive response to your request file a claim and let Porsche pay for the lawyer for you. I traded my '04 to avoid having to deal with Porsche any further as I have found them to be asolutely unaccomodating towards their customers but lost a significant amount of money doing so. If you have the time and patience -- battle it out as after all you have spent a lot of money on your truck!!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:57 PM
WCS
Instructor

As it turned out my problem first occured at 16K miles and I did not notify PCNA. It is now at 21K miles. Not all the repair attempts were made within 18K miles as regulated by CA lemon law.

Most likely I'll have to live with this then...
Old 03-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

The "Lemon Law" varies significantly from state to state but all is not lost just becuase the initial mileage limitation is lost.

Step #1 Find legal counsel that deals with automotive warranty claims. When we recently went down this road with AoA it was amazing the difference in the level of service that we received. Your legal counsel should be able to tell you all of your options. And if you determine that litigation is the next best thing your fess should (dependant on state law) be covered by PCNA.

The key to winning any warranty litigation breaks down to three items....
1. The vehicle has an issue that you can easily prove detracts in value or is a serious safety concern.
2. Documentation. Having every letter, memo, fax, work order, bill, parts request, service advisor notes and records that was ever produced by you or on your behalf.
3. Patience Grasshopper. Vehicle Warranty Litigation is a long...long road.

Commentary: For background, do some research on www.audiworld.com on the A6/S6 forum on lemon law and vibrations. The A6/S6 is the best designed vibrating car of all time.

Depending on state law given the oppurtunity PCNA will have this case heard by a jury....Note: Most of America would love a $75kish car that vibrates, what a tough life you must lead.

Vibration Serious Safety Concern or Reduced Value: In my opinion this point is only going to be won by a very good lawyer. Did you not use the care because you were scared to drive it? Did you rent a car to take on vacation as your only recourse? Loss of value, hard to prove.....

I must state that I am not a legal professional and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I can only speak of the rode that we went down in regard to our S6 and AoA. In the end we "settled" out of court on the way to court (We were not going to be heard by a symp. jury). So we took our settlement, trading our vibrating S6 on a Vibrating Cayenne S, I know what it is like to walk in your shoes.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Mav
Racer

Pcar Squared, Any update about your car? Was your dealer able to fix the vibration problem?

Quick Reply: Claiming a lemon S