4.8 Turbo air oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 10:52 PM
NewToPig
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 4.8 Turbo air oil separator

Hey all,

Has anyone found a good replacement AOS for the 4.8 turbo? I bought the usually referenced IE works cap but the cap seems too small to click back on. The feedback online includes a bunch of doesn't fit turbo comments.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2021, 04:23 AM
Richard Godsall
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently going through a similar process. Have a 2008 957 Cayenne Turbo, same as you.

I ordered the one from VANOS BMW in Russia, it took a couple of weeks to get here and looks very similar, but appears to be a 'hair' too small and thus is very hard to make the cap fit properly. There's also a whistiling from the AOS area (was there for a little while before I changed it), but I also found a disconnected vacuum hose on the other side of the engine near the firewall, which may be related to the whistling.

The car is currently at the mechanic for a few jobs. I've tried to get them interested in fixing the vacuum/AOS problems, but not having much luck (the most pressing issue is a leaking fuel pressure regulator).

Anyway, in the meatime I've ordered the 4.8L diaphragm from KLA Industries in the USA. Hopefully that will be the correct fit. It'll take a couple weeks to get to me.

If that also fails to fit, I'll simply order the factory plastic cover with the integrated AOS (TBH - that's what I should have done in the first place. I've already spent around 100 USD on the diagphams, and the factory part is around 200 USD I think).

You can look at my other posts for my rambings on the subject!!

let me know how you get on.

Below a picture of my old and new diagphams.

Russian VANOS-BMW product underneath the OEM AOS

Last edited by Richard Godsall; 05-17-2021 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:01 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by NewToPig
Hey all,

Has anyone found a good replacement AOS for the 4.8 turbo? I bought the usually referenced IE works cap but the cap seems too small to click back on. The feedback online includes a bunch of doesn't fit turbo comments.

Thanks
KLA
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17345558
Old 05-17-2021, 12:36 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

for the 4.8 turbo I believe (and yes I know this sounds weird) the cap/membrane from a 4.5 litre V8 is the alternative to use. That said, the fact that I ended up going straight to the full plenum and down the rabbit hole of crankcase lines after that shows my level of finesse :-)
Old 08-12-2024, 04:54 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After all this time, has any proper replacement come around instead of purchasing the entire $200 housing just to replace the seal? I do see mention on Pelican's installation thread, that a BMW Vanos retailer out of Russia sells the seal alone for like $20, but is this place out of Russia still the only option?

Surely there must be a viable option somewhere here in the states now?
Old 08-12-2024, 09:37 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid3ways
After all this time, has any proper replacement come around instead of purchasing the entire $200 housing just to replace the seal? I do see mention on Pelican's installation thread, that a BMW Vanos retailer out of Russia sells the seal alone for like $20, but is this place out of Russia still the only option?

Surely there must be a viable option somewhere here in the states now?
Porsche Cayenne Air/Oil Separator Diaphragm | Kla Industries
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 08:58 AM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the recommendation. My cap I believe is cracked from when I attempted this a few years ago, I don't suppose places sell that cap too? The one I purchased off of Amazon a long time ago was too small for my 08 Turbo.

Quick Reply: 4.8 Turbo air oil separator