Engine Overhaul/Tips/Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 08:07 PM
mikhail1121
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Engine Overhaul/Tips/Recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm a 17 year old in Las Vegas, NV and I picked up this 955 2006 4.8L V8 Cayenne Twin Turbo a few years ago from auction as a project car which currently has approx. 145000 miles on it (pics of it attached). I am currently in the process of doing a massive overhaul to make this engine practically brand new and am about to haul the engine out due to a blown head gasket and a recent severe knocking coming from the top end of bank 2 which increases in noise with RPM's (video of knocking attached lmk what you think it might be). I took off the front bumper to do some paint correction and to fix front fender damage on the passenger side I made when I bumped my wall. Any tips or recommendations on taking out the engine? Also if anyone can go into a deeper detail of how the engine is bolted onto the frame and any tips on how I should go about pulling it and if its possible to just do the head gasket without pulling the engine out that'd be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Front

Back

Car currently
Here is a video of the car knock
Old 08-11-2024, 10:17 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Before investing another penny into it, check the cylinders with a borescope camera.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:00 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

The engine/transmission are installed at the factory from the bottom and that is how the shop manual shows removal. You just drop it out the bottom on a lift with the suspension/brakes and engine cradle all in place along with the front Diff. I think what 19psi is alluding to in the bore inspection is the possibility of bore scoring. Did you run a compression check before you started pulling things apart? Bore scoring isn't as prevalent in the Turbos but it still happens. BTW, yours is a 4.5Ttt, the 4.8tt came out in 2008 in N. America.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:41 PM
mikhail1121
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 19psi
Before investing another penny into it, check the cylinders with a borescope camera.
Yep, cylinders were checked beforehand by a borescope camera for scoring or any "alarming" signs and results came back pretty good. Pistons also look good with minor carbon build up with cylinder 5 being the cleanest presumably because of the head gasket leak.

Last edited by mikhail1121; 08-12-2024 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:48 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

The engine and trans can come out the front with it in service position like you have it now. If you don’t have a lift, that’s how it’s done.

Also, get a copy of the factory service manual online or get a subscription to alldataDIY. You’ll need a lot more info than you’re going to get on a forum and it’s all in there.

Last edited by BobcatBrian; 08-12-2024 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:53 PM
mikhail1121
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
The engine/transmission are installed at the factory from the bottom and that is how the shop manual shows removal. You just drop it out the bottom on a lift with the suspension/brakes and engine cradle all in place along with the front Diff. I think what 19psi is alluding to in the bore inspection is the possibility of bore scoring. Did you run a compression check before you started pulling things apart? Bore scoring isn't as prevalent in the Turbos but it still happens. BTW, yours is a 4.5Ttt, the 4.8tt came out in 2008 in N. America.
Would there be any way to use an engine hoist instead by pulling it up and out without dropping the entire suspension/brakes system along with the front Diff or do we have to pull the engine with all of those connected? No, we didn't do a compression check we just had the cylinders scoped out with a borescope camera and checked for any scoring which it didn't. Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:56 PM
mikhail1121
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
The engine and trans can come out the front with it in service position like you have it now. If you don’t have a lift, that’s how it’s done.

Also, get a copy of the factory service manual online or get a subscription to alldataDIY. You’ll need a lot more info than you’re going to get on a forum and it’s all in there.
Good to know, am I able to just pull the engine by itself or would it be simpler to just pull it all together? Thanks.

Edit - Yep, I have a subscription to alldata.diy just gathering as much information as I can to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Last edited by mikhail1121; 08-12-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:02 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mikhail1121
Good to know, am I able to just pull the engine by itself or would it be simpler to just pull it all together? Thanks.

Edit - Yep, I have a subscription to alldata.diy just gathering as much information as I can to make sure I don't screw anything up.
Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I haven’t pulled a 955/957 engine before. But I doubt it’s easier to remove just the engine. It’s pull front axles and other components vs getting to the engine to trans bolts. I would rather pull everything then replace all seals and mounts before reinstalling.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:13 PM
mikhail1121
5th Gear

Awesome, thank you for the advice. Anything helps as I'm just trying to see what options I have in how I should go about tackling this.
The following users liked this post:
BobcatBrian (08-12-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 10:06 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Pull the whole lump out it one. It could be done on jackstands and in your driveway,
Old 08-13-2024, 10:07 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I haven’t pulled a 955/957 engine before. But I doubt it’s easier to remove just the engine. It’s pull front axles and other components vs getting to the engine to trans bolts. I would rather pull everything then replace all seals and mounts before reinstalling.
+100

Quick Reply: Engine Overhaul/Tips/Recommendations