Sponsored by:

VW part numbers for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default VW part numbers for Cayenne

Is there a list of VW part numbers that cross reference to Porsche part numbers?

I have an 06 CTTS and just ordered new sway bar bushings and diverter valves from Europaparts.com claiming to be OEM brand and I received these parts:
lemforder bushings
vw pn 7L0 411 313 J
lemforder pn 38738 01 009
For porsche pn 955 343 792 50

kayser diverter
vw pn 06A 145 710N
For Porsche pn 95511071001

The bushings look the same as the oem but I can’t find anything online confirming it. The diverter looks the same too except my oem one installed was a Bosch and everything I find on the kayser part number says that it doesn’t fit my cayenne.

If they are actually the right parts, then I’ve been wasting money because they are much cheaper. Any input I’d appreciated.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:28 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd start by figuring out what you think "OEM" means, and then what everyone else thinks it means. It is a term that is used very loosely, and I'm sure that even on this forum, you would not find a consensus. Pelican parts has one good page somewhere that tries to set standard definitions of OEM, OES, OE, etc. I can believe in that, but unless everybody does ...

Found it:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OEM_FAQ.htm

At least once it is clear how loosely that term is used, you may be able to more carefully estimate what the vendors really might have and what things really are. For example, a classic one is "OEM-quality" which of course means absolutely nothing.

I know between my BMW and Porsches, that Lemfoerder is a great brand, as the OES for many suspension parts, and would generally trust that brand for anything, as a substitute for a Genuine Porsche branded part. It may truly be identical other than label, but not always.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:33 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I'd start by figuring out what you think "OEM" means, and then what everyone else thinks it means. It is a term that is used very loosely, and I'm sure that even on this forum, you would not find a consensus. Pelican parts has one good page somewhere that tries to set standard definitions of OEM, OES, OE, etc. I can believe in that, but unless everybody does ...

Found it:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OEM_FAQ.htm

At least once it is clear how loosely that term is used, you may be able to more carefully estimate what the vendors really might have and what things really are. For example, a classic one is "OEM-quality" which of course means absolutely nothing.

I know between my BMW and Porsches, that Lemfoerder is a great brand, as the OES for many suspension parts, and would generally trust that brand for anything, as a substitute for a Genuine Porsche branded part. It may truly be identical other than label, but not always.
thanks for the feedback. I’m sorry, my question was not clear, I just want to know if they are the correct parts for my application. I use lemforder parts all of the time and agree they are good. When I search the kayser part number it does not appear to fit my cayenne but it does look identical to my original diverter.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:18 AM
alex532
Rennlist Member

As an update, I called Europaparts and they confirmed both parts are correct. Brings me back to my initial question...Is there a VW/Audi cross reference part number list for Porsche part numbers?
Old 06-04-2020, 12:17 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by alex532
As an update, I called Europaparts and they confirmed both parts are correct. Brings me back to my initial question...Is there a VW/Audi cross reference part number list for Porsche part numbers?
Porsche would probably do everything in their power to destroy such a tool if it became too easy to reference non-Porsche replacement parts and avoid paying the crazy P-tax. It has been surprising to me just how much more they can get away with charging for the exact same part with a different number stamped on it. There has to be some kind of law against this type of gouging now that it is reaching absurd levels. Over the years I have found some audi and VW parts to cost less than 1/4 of what Porsche charges.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:31 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Good point. Well, there are two parts in this thread that people can use...anyone that has any more, please PM me so I can save money in the future.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:40 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts

I had a blown out rear light socket in my 993. To get a replacement socket from Porsche I would of had to buy the whole part which included the sockets for the other bulbs. I took the part over to the VW guy and he matched it. Total cost was less than $10 dollars compared to the big bucks Porsche was asking.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:59 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I had a blown out rear light socket in my 993. To get a replacement socket from Porsche I would of had to buy the whole part which included the sockets for the other bulbs. I took the part over to the VW guy and he matched it. Total cost was less than $10 dollars compared to the big bucks Porsche was asking.
That's a good example too, maybe I need to start at my local VW parts store first.

The guy I talked to at Europaparts seemed very knowledgeable, I will definitely call them next time I need a part too.

I recently bought new side mirror motors from a Porsche dealer and wish I had thought of this before buying those. The motors have to be common with other VW cars.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:55 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by alex532
...Is there a VW/Audi cross reference part number list for Porsche part numbers?
LOL I had no idea that's what you were asking.

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to replace a door lock actuator on my 2004 S. I knew it should be directly compatible with Touareg, at least. I spent some time trying to find the answer, failed, and ended up just opening up the door, to be sure it was the problem, which it was.

When I got all the way to have the failed DLA in hand, I could see it was a genuine Porsche part (original part from the factory, with a P logo on there). But it also had some non-Porsche part numbers stamped into it, one of which turned out to be the VW/Audi part number. Answer: 7L0 839 015 (left rear, non-KESSY DLA for a 2004 Cayenne S, and some VWs, etc.)

I then did some googling with those numbers and figured out which one the equivalent VW number was. By then looking at actual photos of used parts for sale on eBay, I was able to 100% confirm compatibility.

So here's a suggestion: eBay photos of used items can be a great source of unambiguous information on parts. After I knew the answer in my case, I realized I could have searched eBay for that Porsche part number, and many eBay listings would provide their VW or aftermarket claimed equivalents. Of course much (most?) of the info there will be wrong, but if you can then find actual eBay photos you may be able to confirm.

So to simplify: search eBay for the Porsche part number. You may get info on leads of things that might be VW equivalents; much of the info will be wrong, so be prepared to think. Go for final confirmation by looking at eBay listing photos.

100% agree that Porsche would be very much against having this information clearly searchable. VW parts at Porsche prices is a business model worth protecting.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:33 PM
alex532
Rennlist Member

Nice work and another good example of VW part number. Thank you for the additional suggestions, it’s amazing what you can learn from
pictures of parts on the Internet.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:53 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-19-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:23 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Porsche would probably do everything in their power to destroy such a tool

Funny! But most likely true...

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I then did some googling with those numbers and figured out which one the equivalent VW number was. By then looking at actual photos of used parts for sale on eBay, I was able to 100% confirm compatibility.
Ditto. I've used this method to replace the upper cats, the blower motor, coils, fuel pumps, and other stuff I cant' remember now with VW parts rather than the Porsche versions. The VW parts averaged half the price. I've also put in parts from wrecks with a lot of success, like an entire front passenger door in the exact right color (blue/gray) that I got for $250!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:39 AM
aycortes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Showmetheparts

http://www.showmetheparts.com/catalog.html

one of my favorite cross reference platforms out there. Once you have Found your desired part browse to the buyers guide and they will tell you all makes and models that that part is used in across all manufacturers.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:20 AM
lkraav
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like something is happening, indeed. New gear selector design, for one https://www.classicshop.porsche.com/...4700008d4.html

Quick Reply: VW part numbers for Cayenne