Sponsored by:

Sealing Rings for OE Tow Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sealing Rings for OE Tow Hitch Install

I recently sourced a used OE hitch for my 2005 CTT, and Im getting ready for the install. The salvage yard sent the bolts with it, but some looked stripped, and where missing the black spacer sleeves to align in the hitch holes (some of you will know the M12 and M14 confusion with Cayenne hitch bolts). SO i order 8 new bolts, no problem.

Thanks to these boards, Ive read all the documentation for the install, and there is a reference to "sealing rings" quantity 8, needed for the hitch install, part number 955 722 033 00. These mount between the hitch and the body.
Issue is, these need to come form Germany, and are going to take too long.

Anyone who has added the OE hitch kit to their Cayenne know exactly what these are? You can see them on ECS's webstite as they sell a kit with the bolts and these sealing rings. They failed to tell me I wouldnt be getting this kit to the end of the month when I originally ordered from there and were supposed to be at my door tomorrow!!!, soon I found out its because of these rings, none are in the states.
To me they look just like flat metal washers. Anyone recall?

Im pretty sure I will be ok without them, as any of the videos on installing the Curt HItch dont use any sealing ring or washer between body and the hitch. But in the video, it does looks like there might be a recess in the body where they fit.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Ill post up pictures of the install after!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:36 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

It's a rubber ring molded onto the bolt in a strategic position as to seal the threads going into to the car body. Not needed to purchase them separate. IMO a seal is needed. You could use some silicone or something and it will all be self explanatory after you remove the crash bar. You wouldn't want water to seep past the threads and into the frame. This is a fairly harsh location for water intrusion.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

Im not asking about the black collar the comes on/with the bolts, its the washers listed as item D in parts list, then B in assembly drawing, and the silver washers in the ecs kit.
those have to come from Germany, 3 to 4 weeks, so i don't want to wait, but wondering if anyone else didn't use them.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:59 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

D is B for lack of a better explanation and the ECS picture is wrong. I think you are just interpreting all the diagrams wrong and I don't blame you, it's confusing. The underside of the bolt head flange is serrated and they don't use a washer in that location. Sonnen Porsche parts for the win. After dealing with ECS's practices several times before learning my lesson I let them go. You could have had those much sooner.

Tip- If you need a part from a vendor that you are familiar with and don't like, go thru their Ebay store. These shady vendors tend to act a bit different when their seller rating is involved and the price will almost always be cheaper on Ebay.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

J's World, Ill take you word for it, I know you are knowledgeable with our Cayenne's. I just want to make sure I totally understand. SO the sealing ring is the black collar that you see in the ECS picture (and on other sellers pictures) that is on the bolts, and is not separate and comes WITH the bolts, correct?
If that is the case, then why is there a separate part number for the bolt and the sealing rings? See C and D in the parts list above?

I also wasnt thinking these sealing rings/washer go between the bolt head and the hitch, rather the hitch and the body, as the diagram shows.
I sure hope the new bolts come with black ring around it! Guess I will find out soon.

But this adds to the confusion/debate. I called sunset, and they pulled up the part 955 722 033 00 and without me even asking or saying anything, they described the "sealing rings" as washers, so to me that doesnt sounds like the black collars to seal the hitch hole shaft, rather typical flat washers.

Also additng to the confusion, from the assembly drawing, the sealing rings show being installed between the hitch and the body, not inside the hitch bolt holes or on the bolts themselves, as the black collars would clearly be if positioned at the top of the threads so then located inside the hitch bolt hole shafts.
The text for the assembly reads "bond the right and left sealing rings (B) to the pickup points of the receiver" . I guess I took this as somehow you need to stick the washers/sealing rings to the back of the receiver so when you assemble it and slide the bolts through, they are between the hitch and the body.

I guess I will find out soon if the bolts come with the black collars or not, to determine if the sealing rings are indeed different as it seems.

Here is a possible theory, the original M14 bolts fit the shaft holes in the hitch with no play, when they changed to the M12, then there was wiggle room, thus the need for those black collars shown on the bolts at the top of the threads.to center the bolts in the hitch shaft holes, and better seal the space and threads. So the separate sealing ring which is the washer looking part is still needed, its simply a crush washer to seal the interface between the hitch and the body, which may not be perfectly flat. The collar that comes with the bolts is not shown in that particular assembly and parts list drawings cause this is from earlier 2003, 2004 Cayennes,as its dated 04??? Just a hypothesis.

Arent the washers used behind all the drain bolts for the Cayenne called "sealing rings" these are one time use crush washer to seal the bolt and pan interface to prevent leaks,etc. SO they same thing here?

Either way, as long as I get the black collar with the bolts, it sounds like I will be fine with or without the 955 722 033 00 sealing rings!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

Im with you on the ECS part. I only go through them when the prices are cheaper, or when I need a part quick cause they are only 30min from me, and I can avoid shipping. But yes, I have been burned by them a couple times. They say one thing, then another.

I ended up getting the bolts from Harper Porsche, lowest price. I think the issue with the ECS order was they sell the bolts as a kit with the now famous sealing rings, and since the sealing rings are a Germany part, thus the long timing to get everything all together. They could have sent me the bolts earlier, but they are trying to save themselves separate shipping costs, but of course didnt divulge any of that.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

I take back my theory. The picture of the M14 bolts have the black collars on them as well, if thats indeed true, the M14 dont fit tight in the hitch holes either, so the collars arent just for center but as mentioned, to seal.
I still feel the sealing rings are washers, and a different part than these collars on the bolts. Its just confusion because the black collars on the bolts seal as well. The separate part numbers are the key.
Long story short I dont think the sealing rings/washers are needed, and thats how I plant to proceed, without them and only the OE bolts with the black sealing collars at the threads.
I will post pictures.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:10 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Again, underside the bolt heads are serrated, for a reason, there's no intention of a washer or a seal here. The rubber sealing rings are molded onto the bolt. They engage the body and seal between the threads on the bolt and the car body threads. The ECS picture is wrong. There's no washers used or sleeves on the bolts intended.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:23 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

I must not be communicating clearly.
I have never mentioned washers for the back side of the bolt head. So it doesn't really matter if they are serated or not. The washers, aka sealing rings go between the body of the car and the hitch, on the END of the bolt., not between the bolt head and the hitch.
again, im not some huge ecs fan, but then the Porsche instructions must be wrong too.
Yes the bolts have a molded on black seal that is included and part of the bolt, im not asking about those, but the sealing rings aka washers, if they are truely needed, as the Porsche after sales hitch installation shows.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Lol! They aren't needed because they don't exist!
Old 06-07-2020, 11:20 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

No hard feelings, im laighing about this too.
just don't understand why they list a part for them!
ok ill give up now, and will soon install the hitch, without them, lol. Whatever my bolts finally arrive.

Quick Reply: Sealing Rings for OE Tow Hitch Install