Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transsyberia/GTS electric steering column adjustment does not work in any direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:45 AM
Transsyberia
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transsyberia/GTS electric steering column adjustment does not work in any direction

Australian 2009/10 Transsyberia, same as a GTS... Everything else works fine, but I cannot adjust the steering column in any direction. When I press the 4-way button in any direction, there is a soft click behind the right side of the dash, as though a relay is trying to activate, but the column does not move. I have checked all the fuses, tried resetting the seat memory, ignition on/off, engine on/off, door open/closed, foot brake on/off, harsh language, but nothing has worked so far.
I suppose the question is if there is a setting somewhere which locks the electric steering column adjustment? Is this likely to be a broken relay, or seized motor?
I expect others must have seen this issue, but can't see the same mentioned in other forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,619 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I'm surprised the "harsh language" didn't solve it LOL

Seems to me if you're hearing a click when you move the switch, that the switch has power and that power is going to a relay. I don't know how that circuit is fused. If the fuse is between the relay and the motor, could be a blown fuse preventing from working. If the fuse is before the switch, since the switch makes something click, then that's probably not it, but I would get a meter, put it in continuity mode, and test all the fuses. You can do this just by touching both silver tips with the 2 probes and not removing any fuses. There are fuse panels in both the left and right ends of the dashboard.

Simpler, stupid solution could be that the motor is stuck. Have you tried to add some manual force to the wheel in the direction your moving the switch (moving the switch to command the wheel move toward you while actually pulling on the wheel). If the motor has a bad contact at one position of it's rotation, helping it move, might get it moving again. If so, reset the memory position so the wheel is in a slightly different spot so the motor doesn't try to keep returning it to the worn contact spot making it not work again.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:03 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

IIRC, there is a TSB from a long way back on this issue somewhere. Maybe check over on Renntech...
Old 05-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Transsyberia
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help - I'll look into it and detail anything that works.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 AM
Cerbie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Transsyberia, did you get anywhere with this? I have exactly the same issue, using the column switch causes a clicking sound and my Durametric is giving the hall sensor fault.

I thought about trying to replace the control unit but the only one I have find is for the Touareg, 7L6959257.

The only relay I can find that is steering related is for the power steering. All the fuses are good.

I looked on RennTech but could not find a TSB relating to this this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cerbie

Quick Reply: Transsyberia/GTS electric steering column adjustment does not work in any direction