Porsche Cayenne Sputtering and Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 04:11 PM
Marco Robles
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne Sputtering and Stalling

Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Cayenne s with 95,000 miles. I Recently took it on a trail and when I almost got back to pavement it sputtered and stalled on me. It was warm around 88 deg F and I was running the AC while following someone, kicking up a lot of dirt, and we were going around 8- 20 MPH. The coolant gauge was just over 180 around 200.
While I was driving when the engine suddenly cut the gas and shut off. I waited a bit turned it on and it has a hard time kicking over but turned on i could drive for a bit until the engine would cut the gas again. I had to balance putting it in neutral to rev it up in order to still use the power brakes and steering. It would have trouble when I was going slow or trying to press the gas to speed back up is when it shut off.
Once I got to pavement and on the highway the temp went back to 180 and I could drive home without any problems. Im worried because the temp was barely over 180 and I did not get any warnings on the dash.

A week before this I the engine gave me a oil pump warning and them shut off. The battery died so I replaced it and it went back to normal. But now I am thinking it might be something more serious. Do these occurrences link to something? I was maybe thinking the fuel pump or the coils maybe?

Does anyone have some ideas as what it could be?

Thank you for reading!
Old 04-26-2020, 06:55 PM
rsinghal3
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Were you in normal mode or off road mode during this?
Old 04-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Marco Robles
2nd Gear

Normal mode I believe. In my car there is only a sport button. I don't think there is an off-road mode, or do you mean when the reduction is on?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:17 PM
rsinghal3
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

correct I was asking about low range reduction mode. Still not sure what may be going on though still brain storming.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Pull your air filters and see if they're caked and clogged with dust and dirt from following someone.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:24 PM
paulwu
AutoX

Have you resolved the warm up sputtering and stalling issue? I have the same issue when the MY04 Cayenne-S after warm up and got RPM very low and then stall. The pig is currently 145K miles.
I have only 2 CELs currently P0016 and P0344 but being long time already for past 7 years (believe bank 1 camshaft chain starched and too big job to fix) until recently warm up stall and the car can't be derivable when being in closed loop after warm up; keep stalling and then could not start anymore. need to wait until cool down.

Cold start no problem at all. So far replaced: ignition coils, spark plugs, O2 sensors, fuel pumps, fuel regulator, fuel filter, Mass flow meters, throttle body etc.., all kind of related parts already being replaced but still cannot resolve the issue. By the way, breather hoses also replaced and no vacuum leaking.

Any help and info will be great appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by paulwu; 05-09-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 255 Posts

Fuel filters (two) in the saddle pockets of the fuel tank clogged (or one of them). Sounds like fuel starvation. Especially if there was a lot of tilt and body roll action.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by paulwu
Have you resolved the warm up sputtering and stalling issue? I have the same issue when the MY04 Cayenne-S after warm up and got RPM very low and then stall. The pig is currently 145K miles.
I have only 2 CELs currently P0016 and P0344 but being long time already for past 7 years (believe bank 1 camshaft chain starched and too big job to fix) until recently warm up stall and the car can't be derivable when being in closed loop after warm up; keep stalling and then could not start anymore. need to wait until cool down.

Cold start no problem at all. So far replaced: ignition coils, spark plugs, O2 sensors, fuel pumps, fuel regulator, fuel filter, Mass flow meters, throttle body etc.., all kind of related parts already being replaced but still cannot resolve the issue. By the way, breather hoses also replaced and no vacuum leaking.

Any help and info will be great appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul
You have timing codes but nothing you've replaced has been timing related. If you've had those codes for 7 years your chains are probably VERY stretched and your engine is out of time.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Sputtering and Stalling