Sponsored by:

Service Related Question (Long) --UPDATED with FINDINGs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Related Question (Long) --UPDATED with FINDINGs

My dealer states that my cayenne is ready. I have edited my comments with the dealers comments noted. My fingers are crossed that after numerous attempts the vibration is gone!

As many of you know I have been dealing with a certain NJ Porsche dealer and PNA for some time regarding my Cayenne S. It has been in for a number of times (4 or 5 I lost count) to solve the dreaded front end vibration.

My appointment was set for Tuesday AM (the vehicle was left Monday PM) and I have yet to be notified that the C is ready. I am trying to patient and letting them take their time to fix all the issues. I have contacted legal counsel and if the vibration is not resolved with this attempt, it appears I have little recourse outside of the NJ Lemon Law.

I have attached a list of the issues in the exact text that I left for the service writer. I am interested in your opinion on whether or not you feel that the duration that it has taken them to address these issue has been justified. Currently it has taken 3.5 days that is at least 25 hours of technician time (and 4 or 5 previous attempts).

I would be very interested in hearing the opinions of other that have dealt with PNA and or their Legal Counsel.

Major ISSUES

1. Vibration occurs at highway speeds. Vibration is commonly described as a rhythmic harmonic pulsing from left to right(also seen when hands are removed from steering wheel, wheel rocks from side to side). Vibration is exhibited independent of road surface. (Typical Commute is Rt. 1 to 287 to 206 to various local roads).

Dealer Comments: Four Tires Replaced, road test 50 Miles. Road force reports retained

a. Note: This vibration can also be felt through the seat of the pants though I believe this issue is attributed to issues #2.
i. If wheels are mounted and balanced please retain the following records: tire balance readings before and after (also to include tire location before and after balancing) including road force reported for each tire before and after.

2. Droning and vibration felt through the seat of the pants from 45-to 55 mph.
a. Research has shown that these symptoms are typical of a defective or out of balance Cardan Drive Shaft that is out of balance. Please have technician do a visual inspection of Cardan Drive Shaft and report full part number stamped on part from Porsche.

Dealer Comments: Couldn't Duplicate Complaint No Problem Found; Part number not recorded defective drive shaft does not relate to part number.

3. Alignment: vehicle pulls to the right

Dealer Comments: Performed 4 wheel alignement twice.

4. Brakes constantly squeal. Completely unacceptable for a $65K vehicle!

Dealer Comments: Couldn't Duplicate Complaint No Problem Found

Minor ISSUES

1. Vehicle always appears to be in a higher gear then anticipated. Please verify that software update is not available for transmission.

Dealer Comments: Road Tested Couldn't Duplicate Complaint Kick Down Adaption Performed

2. Acceleration very non-linear. When depressing gas pedal ¼ throttle needs to be applied before movement occurs. This causes a lurching effect.

Dealer Comments: Road Tested Couldn't Duplicate Complaint Throttle Adaption Performed

3. Vehicle often “forgets” comfort settings. Comfort settings are set to open all doors. Vehicle forgets this setting and reverts to driver’s side only.

Dealer Comments: Found Rear Convenience Module Faulty Replaced

4. Heads up Display (display in center of dash): When car is started information reverts to average speed, rather then retaining last setting selected (usually distance to empty) as stated in the owners manual.

Dealer Comments: Normal No faults found

5. Center console opening hinge. This part was ordered from Porsche to replace my broken hinge a few months back. Has this part been made available?

Dealer Comments: FIXED

Last edited by Pcar Squared; 03-05-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 AM
WCS
Instructor

I also have vibration problem in my S. It seems to be getting worse and I'm constantly visting my dealer trying to get it resolved. not much progress so far.

here is what I know about this problem so far:
- try to have them install new tires and do a road test. if nothing is changed, the problem is not on the tires.
- when driving, switch to neutral and coast. if vibration pattern doesnt change, problem is not in the drivetrain.
- U-joint, boot, loose body panel, break rotors and wheel bearings are all likely causes to vibration problem.

I wouldn't worry about the break noise. If you have old pads it will sqeak louder than the newer ones; ask ur dealer to replace them for you.

Pulling to the right: cayenne is quite sensitive to road tilt. Go find a road tilting to the left (or drive on the left side of the road) and see if the vehicle pulls to the left. if so, you don't have a problem.

Acceleration: if throttle adaptation is performed (eGas update) you should have linear and reponsive acceleration.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Default Good info....

Originally posted by WCS

- when driving, switch to neutral and coast. if vibration pattern doesnt change, problem is not in the drivetrain.
- U-joint, boot, loose body panel, break rotors and wheel bearings are all likely causes to vibration problem.
The swapped my four Contis for the Perelli Scorpion STR, the vibration has been reduced but still noticable. I will try you suggestions.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:16 AM
RDCIII
AutoX

I’m a little uncertain about your tires. In your first posting, you first said you received four new tires. In you previous response, you said the dealer swapped the tires. Assuming your dealer “swapped” tires, the first thing I have to ask is, did the Perelli Scorpions’ come off a Cayenne that had been sitting on the lot (for a while) or are they new from a distributor?
If they came off a sitting pepper, you may still have a tire problem. If they came “new” from a distributor, then you may have to look elsewhere.
I’ve been having a problem with vibration/shimmy/drifting too. On Friday, I received two “new” Conti’s and that seems to have resolved the problem. There’s just the slightest bit of vibration/shimmy but nowhere near what it was. I suspect your problem is still in the tires.
My service manager believes that when a Cayenne is delivered to the dealer, the tires are fully inflated. Most dealers will then prep the vehicle and lower the tire pressure to its designed pressure. In some cases, like mine apparently, the vehicle might sits for months in the same spot. Is yours an early ’03 build date? My service manager believes that the weight of the pepper is too much for the tires to just sit and is causing flat spots. Is it possible? I guess.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Sorry, about the confusion. My S was delivered upon purchase with 4 Contis. Due to a poor alignement the and premature wear PNA replaced 2 tires, the dealer picked up the tab for one, and I paid for the final tire.

I did not put 4 new Contis on the truck I opted for the Pirelli Scorpion STR's instead. All for tires are new, not removed from another S and installed on mine.

Does this clarify?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Mav
Racer

Wicked Wagon, WCS, RDCIII, and others. Just want to know how long (miles) did you start to notice the steering wheel vibration and shimmy problem. I noticed it on my C-S the very next day of taking delivery of the car. Just like Wicked Wagon, we had the same issue on our Audi A6. So, I know the problem, and tried to do the fix it ASAP. Now, I am a happy C-S driver. Except one more visit is need for un-centered steering wheel after re-alignment (1 to 2 degree to the left off). I know road are slightly tilt to the right (in US) which causes the slight drift to the right. On my way to work, a 1.5 miles straight 65 MPH limit road is tilt to the left. So I test drove on it, still a 1 to .5 degree to the left off center. BTW, do you guys know Cayenne's steering wheel needs to be calibrated after each alignment by PST2?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Mav,

My shimmy vibration was noticeable from day one! For both the Contis and the new Perelli's
Old 03-10-2004, 11:59 AM
markbuka
2nd Gear

Wicked Wagon:

See your private mail.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Stirs
Instructor

Wicked Wagon:

I also had the vibration problem and a VERY noticable humming noise at around 40MPH and up. The repalcement of the cardan shaft did not resolve these issues. I also had the tranny issue you describe but even perhaps to a greater extent. My S was in 6th gear at 25-30MPH and would only reluctantly downshift when you pressed the accelerator. It would actually vibrate from straining in too high a gear and the downshift suddenly two or three gears. I gave up a few weeks ago and traded it after countless unsucessful repair attempts and frusratind experiences with PCNA. I opted not to fo the lemon law route simply because I was too frustrated and didn't want to deal with Porsche anymore. Sadly my remaining Porsche, an '03 C4S, will be my last . . .
Old 03-10-2004, 08:17 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Take my word, the dealers dont know what the hell they are saying..... My porsche service manager didnt know a thing. I use to drop by and tell him about the updates. I suggest you get your car replaced by the lemon law. However Ive heard from many that its a pain in the butt
Old 03-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Jamy:

The horrid thing about my C is that I was purchased due an Audi S6 that was part of a "settlement" prior to litigation as part of the New Jersey Lemon Law.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Hypersonic
Intermediate

Hey,
I have the same issues, I just picked up my new Cayenne S last night, I have the same front end vibration through the steering wheel and seat of the pants.
I haven't made a service call yet, but it is on my list. I believe the vibration is tire related. I will ask for a rebalance, and swapping location of the tires on the vehicle.

You mentioned a droning noise. I have the same thing at 50-60mph with light throttle (called float/coast position). It is the axle gearset making the noise, we'll see if Porsche is willing to do anything on their own. I also have a "boom" noise that is likely tire related.

This is disappointing that there are so many experiencing the same issues.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Not sure about the boom that you speak of, but my tires were just replace all four of them. The C was delivered with Contis and now the Perelli's have the same issue.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:47 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

wicked dargon,

Honestly I think its going to be hard in your case to get it replaced if your porsche dealer knows that you got the Cayenne because of a settlement. " i say that because they might think something fishy is going on" but if you try really hard i think you can get it replaced if you constantly call them and also it will be easier if your service manager admits the problem... if he does its going to be a piece of cake getting it replaced
Old 03-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Lemon Law is best handled by Legal Counsel....AoA did not seem to care about the S6 until they were contacted by counsel. PNA has one last chance...At which time my communication regarding my issue will cease online. One of the problems that AoA had was that they could not give me another S6 due to limited production. I would gladly take a replacement Cayenne. I love the truck, hate the vibration

Quick Reply: Service Related Question (Long) --UPDATED with FINDINGs