Sponsored by:

PCM software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCM software upgrade

Anyone notice when they brought the truck in for the software upgrade, the stereo sound(sound button) options changed??? I used to have a surround sound feature and that is now gone. It's been replaced by the loudness option and the other previous option...I forget what it was called has been replaced with Dyn. Volume... Anybody notice this??? I am happy with this change...Just want to make sure that I am not imagining anything...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris

What version of SW is it showing, mine still has surround on 3.0.

Mike
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by mudman2
Chris

What version of SW is it showing, mine still has surround on 3.0.

Mike
How do you find out which software you are running???
Old 03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

press main and trip at the same time
Old 03-03-2004, 10:50 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

press main and trip at the same time
PCM v. 2.0
System 2.0

Strange. Which button do you press to set surround?

I did not see it under audio or sound buttons, but I know I had it at one time...

Sound button now offers these options only:
bass
treble
balance
fader
loudness
Dyn. Volume

I could have sworn that the surround option was offered there...

Something was changed since my clock is no longer in 24hr mode....
Old 03-03-2004, 11:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You might know the technical term Chris.

Same as when you hit your pinky with a hammer, ****ed

They did a TSB fix but did not upgrade the the PCM / Bose AMP (seperate TSB). Also sounds like its lost some of its function, bad use of PST-2 can cause this.

Bear in mind you will need 03 discs from NAVTECH.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:19 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

You might know the technical term Chris.

Same as when you hit your pinky with a hammer, ****ed

They did a TSB fix but did not upgrade the the PCM / Bose AMP (seperate TSB). Also sounds like its lost some of its function, bad use of PST-2 can cause this.

Bear in mind you will need 03 discs from NAVTECH.
Thanks Mike...I will point that out to them when it's in for the big recall, whenever PCNA decides to let the dealers know about it. I remember the stereo sounded shallow and unispired when I was not using surround. Even though I don't have surround now, I like it better this way. It sounds strong(not shallow) and I did'nt feel good about surround in the first place since music cd's are stereo, not surround, so I feel the listening experience is how it was intended... Thanks for the tech info...
Old 03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you may have gotten downgraded! Get after the dealer to correct this ASAP. Good Luck!

Old 03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

A few months back, I had the PCM S/W upgraded to 3.0, and I just checked and I still have the surround function. The dealer did not perform the Bose TSB S/W update -- when I bring it in for the recall, I'll request this update.

Anyway, this update solved a couple of problems for me including delayed start or sound failure-- now sound system always starts up promptly. No more AM frequency shift to FM. I just read the TSB on the Bose update and it solves the sound failure problem that I had prior to the PCM 3.0 update. So, I'm not sure whether I need it or not, but I guess I should get it.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:36 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by ljugete
Looks like you may have gotten downgraded! Get after the dealer to correct this ASAP. Good Luck!

Downgraded??? Maybe, but as I said, why surround sound??? It is not realistic from a high fidelity standpoint when music CD's are stereo, not recorded in multi-channel format...At least the ones I listen to. By using surround, it's artificially altering the stereo sound recording to appear as surround...For me this is not desireable, but when I had it I used it since the sound was very weak without surround. The way it is now, the sound is much stronger and sounds much better than it did before when I had surround off. Back then I used the surround as a compromise. No compromise needed now. The stereo actually sounds better than it did before. As a point of reference, I am a high fidelity buff and have over $40,000 invested in my 2 channel multi-component Mark Levinson system, so when I say it sounds better, I am not imagining things...Just my observations...I will not upgrade to v 3.0 since I do not want surround back...

Last edited by rockitman; 03-04-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I hear what you say but the dynamics in the cab is at best poor. I find the surround makes it more musical, albeit without a clear stable soundstage.

Having the sound in a virtual position about the head compensates for a lot of the ills of the less than perfect environment.

In other words I like it.

Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 09:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I hear what you say but the dynamics in the cab is at best poor. I find the surround makes it more musical, albeit without a clear stable soundstage.

Having the sound in a virtual position about the head compensates for a lot of the ills of the less than perfect environment.

In other words I like it.

Mike
I can relate to the musicality you speak of with the surround. I just turn it up louder for the stereo mix...I guess I am torn between the two. I know for sure that when I had surround and I switched it off, it was terribly shallow sounding and I had to use surround...The way it is now, there is no shallowness and it is satisfactory for an OEM stereo sound system...I may bring it up to the dealer over time and have them give me the surround option back. Time will tell....

Quick Reply: PCM software upgrade