Sponsored by:

Crazy expensive Engine Mount replacement on my Porsche Cayenne Turbo! YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvetteboy6988
I just had my 05 CTT to the dealer for numerous items, that I was planning to do myself, as I hate going to the dealer, but I have a 3rd party extended warranty specifically for large repairs , and the items I had planned to have them repair (the engine vibration at idle dip and shudder while driving with a load on the engine and below 2000 rpm) would make sense to exercise the warranty rather than me paying out of pocket. Not to mention, since I have read (and now see in the above video) the engine needs to come out on the CTT, something I wasnt going to attempt myself anyway.
Long story short, the dealer notice the vibration, and gave the standard line, "they all do this". Ugh, and this is a legit Porsche dealer in Cleveland Ohio. They also said , "yours isnt that bad". But over the 3 years I;ve had the car, its gone from not doing it at all, to very noticeable. I had 43k 3 years ago, now 65K, but I think its more time than anything (heat, aging of the mounts, etc. not just the mileage). Also, they gave the explanation that the 3rd party warranty would not replace the mounts unless there was clear damage or proof of failure. So Im suppose to wait till they disintegrate? I got the same story on my upper and lower control arms, noisy with a looseness that is clearly demonstratable with vibration, but not torn. Since they told the warranty company there is no visible damage, they wont pay to replace them.
For the engine mounts, obviously its not so easy to inspect, so all the cost would be on me to diagnose and dissassemble/remove the engine and mounts, then they might not physically show damage unless they buy into the collapsed appearance. Sucks that symptoms of failure are not enough. Rubber components are not cut and dry like steel, plastic, etc.
I learned my lesson with this dealer, they screwed up other stuff I wont get into also while it was in the shop, so Im gonna try another P dealer this summer, and and independant. Obviously the kid in the video got his warranty company to acknowledge the issue.

Ill update the group later.
I could be wrong so don't take this as gospel but aren't these hydraulic engine mounts which are filled with fluid in order to provide the appropriate dampening required? I've had similar mounts fail and unless you really looked closely, it would be very difficult to tell that the mounts had leaked, rendering them ineffective for serving their intended purpose. Thus causing the vibrations you all are feeling. If that's the case, warranty should in fact cover this item, and I'd push to do it as a pair for obvious reasons.

Last edited by jtakhtalian; 02-02-2020 at 02:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jtakhtalian:
phatz (02-28-2023), VonDubigk (04-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2023, 08:10 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

Does anyone know definitively if the turbos require the engine drop for access to DIY engine mounts (vs the non-turbos, which can be done in-place without the engine drop like here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-mounts-3.html)

Thanks in advance!

(I’ve got the subframe dropped from a 2009 CTTS for other reasons, and hoping to do this now without paying an Indy to do it later).

(yes I’m posting this question in related threads I find, both to help find an answer, and to provide the answer to future searchers.)
Old 06-19-2023, 12:08 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Does anyone know definitively if the turbos require the engine drop for access to DIY engine mounts (vs the non-turbos, which can be done in-place without the engine drop like here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-mounts-3.html)

Thanks in advance!

(I’ve got the subframe dropped from a 2009 CTTS for other reasons, and hoping to do this now without paying an Indy to do it later).

(yes I’m posting this question in related threads I find, both to help find an answer, and to provide the answer to future searchers.)
The engine has to come out on the turbo. IIRC, someone has "just" lowered the engine and subframe down to a certain modest point for access and done the job, but I don't think think this was documented anywhere.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:47 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Thanks @TomF !

between that comment, the below pic, and alldata, I think this is a no-go, at least on the driver side, for turbos, without dropping the engine at least a few inches, more likely about a foot, to gain access.

Driver side engine mount on a turbo. You can see the mount, the turbo, and the “bracket for auxiliary units/engine mounting” that may need to be removed to gain access to the top mount bolt.

AllData says to take that bracket off. I do t think we can do the driver side mount without dropping the engine a fair amount, if not fully.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:44 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Even with the engine out it's not easy. That mount cannot be removed unless the turbo is removed - at least on a 955. I gave up, save it for the next time the engine needs to be replaced.
The following 2 users liked this post by theprf:
Crozzer (06-19-2023), lkraav (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 04:00 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
Even with the engine out it's not easy. That mount cannot be removed unless the turbo is removed - at least on a 955. I gave up, save it for the next time the engine needs to be replaced.
thanks for clarifying. Love this forum.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:21 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I need to replace my mounts as well at some point. I am planning on doing an extensive "while I'm in there" approach and cover everything that needs doing. I will probably have the turbos rebuilt at the same time as well.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:08 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
I need to replace my mounts as well at some point. I am planning on doing an extensive "while I'm in there" approach and cover everything that needs doing. I will probably have the turbos rebuilt at the same time as well.
IMHO that will be a terrific thread, i.e. what do do “while I’m in there” with the engine dropped. O2 sensors, bench the turbos, cooling tees and lines and pin the water distributor, vacuum lines, serpentine belt, subframe and engine bushings, o-rings in the metal coolant lines (like mine above the passenger cat), …. Off the top of my head.

I imagine if a turbo ever goes and I’m keeping the car, that upgraded turbos would be called for as a reward!

good luck if you ever get there!
Old 06-20-2023, 11:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts

IMHO that will be a terrific thread, i.e. what do do “while I’m in there” with the engine dropped. O2 sensors, bench the turbos, cooling tees and lines and pin the water distributor, vacuum lines, serpentine belt, subframe and engine bushings, o-rings in the metal coolant lines (like mine above the passenger cat), …. Off the top of my head.

I imagine if a turbo ever goes and I’m keeping the car, that upgraded turbos would be called for as a reward!

I think you should do it, and post lots of pics and videos. It's just nuts, bolts, time and patience right..lol
Old 06-20-2023, 05:16 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Crozzer @TRINITONY I'll buy the beer and hold the camera if you all do the wrenching!
Old 06-20-2023, 11:47 PM
charsiuboar
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

as my primary cats flex joints are beginning to fail (I’m at 170,000 miles) my mechanic will have to drop the engine anyways to replace so I guess I’ll have the mounts replaced then…

not sure where to get new turbos. They leak (mist) some oil… wonder if I just need to replace the diverter valves and hope that helps…

Old 06-21-2023, 08:05 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
@Crozzer @TRINITONY I'll buy the beer and hold the camera if you all do the wrenching!

Tom got jokes now.

@Crozzer I'm down for virtual sessions. got zoom, Skype, etc...
Old 06-21-2023, 08:38 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

At this point, just searching for posts by Crozzer would generate pointers to more than half of the common mechanical issues. 🤦‍♂️

The latest adventure is an optional bonus package; “while I’m in there” with the subframe dropped, let’s pull the passenger turbo and properly fix that coolant leak.

That turbine wheel is smaller than expected!
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 11:44 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

If you're going to take that turbo off might as well change that engine mount too. Then you might even take the driver's turbo off and change the other engine mount.
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (06-21-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:34 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
If you're going to take that turbo off might as well change that engine mount too. Then you might even take the driver's turbo off and change the other engine mount.
Oops! I meant “pull the passenger primary cat” (not turbo.)

I don’t think the turbos can come out easily without the motor drop. (And I don’t need to do the engine mounts yet, though I imagine I will. The genius who put this back together replaced the driver side but not the passenger side motor mount, so I’m unsure how long this will last. Not worth doing proactively, though it does rock more than expected on startup already.)

Quick Reply: Crazy expensive Engine Mount replacement on my Porsche Cayenne Turbo! YouTube