Sponsored by:

Cayenne S vs Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 08:36 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Cayenne S vs Turbo S

I have had my new to me Turbo S for a week now and have been driving the S and Turbo S back to back. I have made some observations:

1) There are times I think I like the coil suspension over the air shocks. At times, it seems to handle better. They are two different animals and both have their times when they outdo the other. The air suspension in my Turbo S functions just fine, it’s just a different feel.
2) I like the thinner steering wheel in the S over the fatter one in the Turbo S
3) The S is more driveable in my small town than the Turbo S. Without highways ringing the city or distances over a couple miles to go each day, the S is more of a small town drivers car.
4) I like the Webasto engine pre heater so far. We will see how really good it is when its -20 and I leave the Turbo S outside overnight
5) The front ends feel different. My S has all new bushings and ball joints but the Turbo S has the upgraded factory bushings. We will see when i replace the bushings and ball joints in the Turbo S
6) The S transmission shifts much better than the Turbo S. The S has a new RevMax valve body, the Turbo S has the factory. That will soon be rectified.
7) The Turbo S has much better partial throttle response when in a higher gear (duh!)
8) The S has a nicer creature comfort package (interior lighting package, remote hatch release, remote fuel door release, footwell lighting control, etc. ******Does anyone know if that is something I can just replace the overhead panel and code the car to work?*****
9) The panoramic roof in the Turbo S is louder than the regular sunroof, but that makes sense. The pano roof works fine....for now. Gonna silicone all the seals for good measure.
10) They both have the same seats but for some reason the S seems more comfortable. Trying to figure that out, position or what.
That’s about all. I think I have a unique opportunity to drive them day in and out back to back. Really lets you compare rather than try to remember from some time ago.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:54 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Jeff for the very interesting side by side comparison. Your impression of differences wasn’t as radically different as I had imagined (power not withstanding). As an S owner who has never experienced a turbo, you helped restore my pride in S ownership. But I still can’t get over the much nicer front ends on the GTS and turbos.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Interesting. What generations are both vehicles (955 or 957)? With a 957 Turbo S that has PDCC, theres no way the steel S suspension works better than the PDCC equipped air suspension in any circumstance. Interested to hear about the impressions after the valve body chsnge on thr Turbo S.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:03 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Interesting. What generations are both vehicles (955 or 957)? With a 957 Turbo S that has PDCC, theres no way the steel S suspension works better than the PDCC equipped air suspension in any circumstance. Interested to hear about the impressions after the valve body chsnge on thr Turbo S.
both are 955.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm happy to know that when I eventually end up needing a new valve body that it will be a pleasant ROI and not just a dead expense.

I will need to decide at some point here before the decision is made for me whether to go coilover when the **** hits the fan or repair the complicated air suspension over and over and over. It's a no brainer except for the fact that I hate things "not" working and having to live with all the air suspension controls just inop isn't a pleasant thought.

Guessing in time you'll like the fatter steering wheel but maybe not.

I'd use that panorama roof sparingly

Old 12-28-2019, 01:38 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 637 Posts

Jeff - Have you driven with the air suspension set to sport and low with the PSM off? Maybe after you get a day with less snow and better traction...
Old 12-28-2019, 04:21 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

I thought my S was pretty much option free, but it does have things like rain sensing wipers and the fuel/hatch release buttons...thought those were standard features.
Curious, how do you open the fuel door on your new turbo? Is there just a dimple on the door itself?
How does the TS compare off the line, say 0-30...quicker, same, slower?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:51 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 19psi
I thought my S was pretty much option free, but it does have things like rain sensing wipers and the fuel/hatch release buttons...thought those were standard features.
Curious, how do you open the fuel door on your new turbo? Is there just a dimple on the door itself?
How does the TS compare off the line, say 0-30...quicker, same, slower?
The fuel door just pushed in and then pops open, like a crappy Camry or something from the 90s.
The Ts off the line is very quick. My daughter drove it and called it much zoomier than the S that she has been driving.
I would concur, it is very zoomy off the line. You have to drive it like there is a very thin egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal. At first I didn’t like it at all around town. You just have to relearn how to drive this vs the other.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:52 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Jeff - Have you driven with the air suspension set to sport and low with the PSM off? Maybe after you get a day with less snow and better traction...
I will try that tomorrow. We don’t have any snow here right now. Temps are 25 degrees above normal and my snow plow business is sucking *** with 4 loaders and 8 trucks sitting idle.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:21 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Another difference I noted between the Cayenne S and the turbo S that may not be apparent is the brakes. The brakes on the turbo S are nothing short of astounding. I thought the S had good brakes but the turbo S is like throwing out a gigantic ships anchor when you hammer on them. Perhaps that’s why the rotors are $600to $700 each
Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 637 Posts

The brakes are stout. I have regular Pagids on mine and wish all cars had such superb brakes. Of course, stopping a 5400 lb car from 150 mph+ does require well-engineered, racing-quality equipment.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:50 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
I have had my new to me Turbo S for a week now and have been driving the S and Turbo S back to back. I have made some observations:

1) There are times I think I like the coil suspension over the air shocks. At times, it seems to handle better. They are two different animals and both have their times when they outdo the other. The air suspension in my Turbo S functions just fine, it’s just a different feel.
2) I like the thinner steering wheel in the S over the fatter one in the Turbo S
3) The S is more driveable in my small town than the Turbo S. Without highways ringing the city or distances over a couple miles to go each day, the S is more of a small town drivers car.
4) I like the Webasto engine pre heater so far. We will see how really good it is when its -20 and I leave the Turbo S outside overnight
5) The front ends feel different. My S has all new bushings and ball joints but the Turbo S has the upgraded factory bushings. We will see when i replace the bushings and ball joints in the Turbo S
6) The S transmission shifts much better than the Turbo S. The S has a new RevMax valve body, the Turbo S has the factory. That will soon be rectified.
7) The Turbo S has much better partial throttle response when in a higher gear (duh!)
8) The S has a nicer creature comfort package (interior lighting package, remote hatch release, remote fuel door release, footwell lighting control, etc. ******Does anyone know if that is something I can just replace the overhead panel and code the car to work?*****
9) The panoramic roof in the Turbo S is louder than the regular sunroof, but that makes sense. The pano roof works fine....for now. Gonna silicone all the seals for good measure.
10) They both have the same seats but for some reason the S seems more comfortable. Trying to figure that out, position or what.
That’s about all. I think I have a unique opportunity to drive them day in and out back to back. Really lets you compare rather than try to remember from some time ago.
First the first tune I feel like I am not missing out on the air suspension with my spring bases CS. A little harsh on 20's.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Another difference I noted between the Cayenne S and the turbo S that may not be apparent is the brakes. The brakes on the turbo S are nothing short of astounding. I thought the S had good brakes but the turbo S is like throwing out a gigantic ships anchor when you hammer on them. Perhaps that’s why the rotors are $600to $700 each
Agree, and if you think those are impressive, the PCCBs at 410mm up the ante yet again. Zero fade and zero dust.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I can make a similar comparison between a 957 GTS and a CTTS -
1. Both had air so can't comment
2. Agreed, my old *heated* GTS wheel felt better.
3. I found both to be equal for driving around town, but highway the CTTS and its slightly lower gearing makes cruising better.
4. Have never had one or needed one here
5. I agree with this a lot, but my CTTS needs some sorting pretty sure. Steering is much easier in the CTTS and I suspect that is the over assisted steering feature
6. Same
7. Whooooooosh is so much fun lol
8. My CTTS has full leather, embroidered, and rear heated seats and AC. GTS had the plain interior, so for me this is opposite.
9. I went sunroof to sunroof. If I want sun, I'll hop in the Boxster
10. My GTS too! I wonder if the CTTS seats were just not "sat" in as much.
The following users liked this post:
thorissr (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:05 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I prefer the visceral experience of the Turbo S over the S any day.... no comparison!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dilberto:
DIYDanCars (01-09-2020), thorissr (01-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs Turbo S