Combining Cayenne TT and Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM
nebuchadnezzar
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Combining Cayenne TT and Cayenne S

Hi everyone,

Weird question but might lead to interesting/fun discussions.

I have a LHD 2006 Cayenne TT which was totaled due to another car crashing into the driver side wheel. The suspension, steering and subframe would cost a fortune to get fixed. I live in the UK now and have found a RHD 2006 Cayenne S with a clicking engine. I could get that for a bargain price. Any ideas, recommendations, etc of what would be the most efficient way of combining the two?

I'm aware this sound crazy but I thought I might give it a shot.

Just to clarify, I am looking to do this as a personal project. I have a main car that I'm driving at the moment and I'm just trying to build a fun car as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Are all the damaged parts on the CTT things that can be bolted on and off? If so - I would probably pull the parts of the Cayenne S and install them on the CTT.

You could transfer the engine over to the S and go from there, but I think the biggest issue that you'll find is that the CTT is likely better equipped than the S. It will probably have all kinds of little fiddly electrical bits that would be a complete nightmare to swap over and deal with. Unbolting suspension components and subframes just requires a big breaker bar or a powerful impact wrench. Dealing with interior stuff and all the clips that will invariably break and things that make absolutely no sense in terms of how they come apart? Ugh.

Edit - Also as a caution, I've heard that Porsche customizes the wiring looms depending on a car's configuration, so depending on what you're transferring over, it could end up being a complete nightmare that requires disassembling half the car. Another reason to transfer things from the S to the CTTS
The following users liked this post:
nebuchadnezzar (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 11:48 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

There is also the difference - rather obviously - between left-hand-drive and right-hand-drive. If it was 2 LHD or 2 RHD, it would seem feasible, but swapping sides? Way over my pay scale sort of project. And in the end - the value of the mating would be minimal.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Just a guess, but I don't think you could switch over the Turbo motor to the S without some serious computer work.

These cars are fully integrated. Everything talks to everything else. There's about 7 ECUs.

Most of the electronics are coded to the car. Getting stuff from the different cars to work together would require factory/dealer recoding. And even that may not be enough. Not sure the S can be made to accept the Turbo motor.

OTOH, if all the damage to the Turbo is at the front, you might be able to swap the entire front suspension & cradle over.

If you've ever seen the motor pulled from a Cayenne, you know that the entire subframe is taken off and the car 'lifted off the motor' (more or less).

Not simple, not for the faint of heart. But I think that it would just be 'parts bolted to parts' and a direct swap.

Or I'm completely wrong.

Quick Reply: Combining Cayenne TT and Cayenne S