Recall on the Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby,

You're right. How could I overlook the obvious. Ngfan lives in the center of gravity. Unfortunately it seems like his hybernating.

Let's shout his name all together, maybe we can wake him up:

ngfan NGFAN N-G-F-A-N
Old 03-03-2004, 03:14 PM
ngfan
Instructor

WAAAIIIITTTTTT, I hear you

Just came back from Geneva Auto Show and my Pepper was off at the dealership for recall fixings...

More info in an hour (and maybe a few pics from Geneva)...

Old 03-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hehe, I knew if I shout loud enough ....
Looking forward to your post.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 PM
ngfan
Instructor

Alright,

Pepper was at the dealership while I enjoyed myself at Geneva Auto Show

recall issue:

Well, it all reminds me of the Swissair SR 111 crash investigation...

In very rare circumstances the main cable tree CAN rubb along the parking break feather and may harm the cable what may cause a short circuit resulting in a fire... My car was checked if the cable tree was fine (it was, no damage) and changed the tree layout to avoid any contact (right hand-driven vehicles need an additional cover). Working time 1,5 hours overall. If the cable tree is damaged, expect a repair time of at least a day.
Recall letter (from my dealer - not headquarters!) arrived this afternoon AFTER dealership visit

Geneva:

Nothing really new at the Porsche display... Four Peppers shown (Basalt Black, Prosecco, Titanium and Silver). The Titanium equipped with full Offroad Package (with aluminum styled rear spoiler and rear mirror covers), carbon interior, Tequipment sport pipes and colored 20" Sport Technos etc..

And yes, NO Targa/glass roof on display...

And yes, I'm about to refit my C with those sport pipes...

And a special one for Matt

Last edited by ngfan; 03-03-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:32 PM
ngfan
Instructor

...or another way to describe the problem correctly

Originally posted by Gert
For the harness :
It seems that the moving parts of the brake pedal are too close to the harness. The only thing that will be done is to move the harness away from the moving parts.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

I feel flattered, you're the man, thanks.

BTW, I like the pipes too, they do look good. I think you'll need the turbo rear bumper for them to fit.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
ngfan
Instructor

Originally posted by Matt C

BTW, I like the pipes too, they do look good. I think you'll need the turbo rear bumper for them to fit.
Yeah, it is the rear bumper's lower part. My dealer calculates as follows:

both pipes: € 760.- + VAT
lower bumper part: € 220,64 + VAT
mounting (150 "Zeiteinheiten"): € 139,50 + VAT

-> € 1120,14 +VAT (16% in Germany): € 1300.- incl.

A friend of mine who works in a different Porsche Center offered it for € 1200.- all incl. Still a lot of money, but hey, it's PORSCHE...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

ngfan,

KNEW you could come through for us. I checked again with my dealer here in Dallas. No joy still. They are waiting until they get the scoop from Atlanta before scheduling work. I think they have me in their sights since I'm such a pain in their backsides .......

Me to My Service Writer....
"Hey, did you know that there's a fix specified for the leaking rear washer nozzle? Hey, did you know that there is an eGas update? Hey, did you know that there's a new DME map to fix the cornering problem? Hey, did you know that there's a fix out for the cardan shaft? Hey,....."

Well, you get the picture!

Toby "The PAIN" Pennycuff
Old 03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like I belong into the same customer category as Toby ...

Service rep called me back today. There are two open recalls for my Cayenne (built around 2003-03).

One is the famous harness route check and the other one he mentioned is something about an "insufficient crash resistance of the left seat-rack". The later is probably this one from the NHTSA website:

Make: PORSCHE
Model: CAYENNE S
Year: 2003
Recall Number: 04V072000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE DRIVER’S SIDE SEAT FRAMES WERE NOT ADEQUATELY WELDED.
Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE SEAT FRAME COULD BREAK, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER’S SIDE SEAT FRAME. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-545-8039.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Parts are on order ....

BTW how can I find out the exact built date?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Matt,

I just received my Certificate of Authenticity from PCNA in the mail yesterday. It lists the actual build date of my car. I wonder if the Swiss importer for Porsche provides the same kind of service? Just so you know, my MY2004 Cayenne S was built on February 21, 2003. Porsche AG must have been sending the 03 models to RoW customers and designated the vehicles headed to PCNA as 04 Model Year vehicles. Very strange.

Toby
Old 03-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Toby,
Porsche have been doing this for years. They even had an option number to approve it, M718. I am not sure with the Cayenne what the number is. The first model covered by this process was the first RS America series, built in model year 1992 and sold as a 1993 model years with 1992 model year engines. Changing of VINs is only legal in the USA. The first 993s in the USA were the same. 1994 models sold as 1995 models.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 03-14-2004, 06:47 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I was just at my Porsche dealer and showed the service manager copies of the above stories about the recalls. He told me that they haven't been notified by PAG about it yet. He will let me know ASAP once any recall notice is recieved. He said that they would recieve this info. way ahead of customers.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:39 PM
ngfan
Instructor

During the installation of those Tequipment sport pipes yesterday at the shop I learned that the total number of Cayenne recalls currently stands at 14. One public recall and 13 silent ones. As the reason for the public recall was fixed on my car some weeks ago my friend at Porsche now noticed another recall (harness layout around the middle console) which he fixed in 20 minutes. Obviously, the other recalls do not affect my car.

New rear pics of my car later...

Quick Reply: Recall on the Cayenne