Sponsored by:

Air suspension or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Air suspension or not?

Sorry if this has been covered before. Any problems/potential problems with air suspension vs normal suspension? Especially in colder areas. Is the air suspension sportier than standard suspension when set in sport mode? Is the comfort mode much more comfortable than regular suspension? I haven't had a chance to try air suspension cayenne S yet?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

I stongly recommend you buy the air suspension. In Comfort and Normal, the ride is much less harsh than with the steel springs, and I think that's true even in Sport. One also gets self-leveling and variable ride height. Last spring when I started shopping, I felt the latter was essential for my next SUV, as I spend a fair amount of time off pavement. My Turbo's normal settings are Comfort and Low, and I think it looks LOTS better than in Normal or with steel springs.

I don't know what it costs, just buy it.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:36 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cayenne is good with or without the Air Suspension, but is best with it.

If you can , get it
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly it depends on what you are comparing to. If you compare non-air to air in comfort mode there is a tremendous difference.

After I drove the two it was an easy choice. If air supension was not offered I would not be driving a Cayenne. The non air was too stiff for me and that was with 18" not 20" wheels....

If comparing to a performance sports car (928) the non-air would probably not feel too stiff.

I suggest you test drive both vehicles on highway and on old paved road. This is was the real eye opener for me.

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the air suspension! I change modes often, depending upon the road that I'm on, and if I'm about to drive thru my favorite corners. The comfort setting is a great all round driving setting, but the sport setting is really fun, and gives a much tighter road feeling.

I would definitely recomment it!

Craig
Old 02-26-2004, 02:01 AM
SorTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

def get it, changes the cornering of the car (in sport mode) and the no air feels a bit floaty on highways (at least in New England) The air sanitizes the ride, but in a very good way
Old 02-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Any potential problems with air suspension vs regular suspension?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

The air suspension certainly is more complicated then the steel set up. So as a result there could be more problems associated with the air suspension vs steel. I have not heard of many problems with the air system, however.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Went with the steel, due to the fact that planning on keeping the C until....well for a long time. In my case the warranty will be gone in the blink of an eye and I was concerned with the outside of warranty cost of the AIR.

The market does not have much exp. with the cost related to Air suspension. Doe a search on the Audiworld for the cost associated with the Allroad suspension replacement.

Yes, I would have loved the Air suspension for all the reasons mentioned, but in the end long term use turn me off.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were limited to getting just one option on the Cayenne, it would be air suspension without a doubt. I too would not have bought one if I could not have it that way.

As for durability, air suspension systems have been around a long time. They have been used on big rigs for years. In fact I have a '92 Peterbuilt with 400,000 miles sitting at work that has never had a single issue related to its air suspension. It has also been used in MB's S-class cars since 1999 and has found its way into the E-class cars as well. I haven't heard of any problems there.

The system is not as complex as you may think. The computer controls may be complex but the hardware is frightfully simple. You have air bags at all four corners, a compressor and associated lines to hook it up. It is the computerization that adds complexity. Most computer issues can be updated with software alterations. Possibly the computer could fail, then again, so could the powertrain computer, the NAV computer or any of the other electronics grafted on and baked in. So if you are going to pass on the air susp, better pass on NAV, the comfort package, and anything else you can opt out of that is electronic.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Riz
Any potential problems with air suspension vs regular suspension?
It can be hard to find a Cayenne S on a dealer's lot with air suspension. Even with a factory order, there may be a production delay due to the scarcity of parts. I definitely wanted it on mine since I plan on towing my 951 track car with the Cayenne.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the production delays are over. I had no problem ordering mine. Of course....it isn't here yet either
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to search for the air suspension equipped Cayenne S.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:21 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nor did I have any problem ordering my Cayenne S with Air Suspension...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Brent 89-GT
I think the production delays are over. I had no problem ordering mine. Of course....it isn't here yet either
Brent:

Looks like they are still having some supply issues. My order (for June Euro delivery) initially was kicked back with the air suspension "not available." My dealer assumed they were looking at a May production date and they have a limited number of air suspensions each month, so we could probably still get the car with a June production date. In any event, PCNA called him back yesterday and said they had a cancellation on an upcoming build, so that car's parts are now available for me!

Quick Reply: Air suspension or not?