Whining - (1 - 4) Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 PM
jgtime
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Whining - (1 - 4) Transmission Fluid Change

Hello Fellow enthusiasts,
I recently purchased a 2006 Cayenne S. Trying to bring this bad boy back to life after neglect by the previous owner.
In summary, I already:
  • Had 2 open recalls addressed (Bushing on the selector lever cable and filter flange for fuel pump)
  • Replaced front and rear rotors, pads and sensors
  • Full brake fluid flush
  • Oil and filter (previous owner took to a quick oil change and they used garbage oil. Sludge found bad when removing valve covers)
  • Liquid Moly engine oil flush
  • Bank 1 and Bank 2 valve cover gaskets (took 2 years off my life replacing these...lol)
  • Replaced multiple bulbs
  • Replaced rear wiper arm
  • Replaced air filters
  • Replaced cabin filter
  • Exhaust work ($1K)
  • Left tie rod
  • Spark Plugs
  • Engine torque arm
With all that said, I need to keep the train going with this S. I am thinking the front diff and rear diff, need fluid flush, along with the transfer case. Drain and fill plugs are pretty rusted, so I am going to need some heat to remove them and also replacing the plugs.
BUT - before I head into those, I am debating the Transmission fluid and filter. As we know, some say, leave well enough alone and do not mess with the transmission fluid, unless really needed.
Reason I think the transmission fluid and filter need replacing, is the whining when the transmission shifts from 1 through 4, but the whining stops at 5 and 6.
Is this an indication of transmission fluid and flush needed or maybe the front diff fluid? Sound sounds like its coming from the front of the S.

Thank you......
Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Definitely change the trans fluid. You need to look up the proper technique as it is not straight forward like the pumpkins and transfer case.
Most of the trans issues with these cars are related to harsh shifts and shift flares from old fluid gunking up the solenoids and/or wearing out certain valves in the valve body. The whining issues tend to be front diff or transfer case related.
The following users liked this post:
jgtime (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 03:30 PM
jgtime
Advanced

Thank you nodoors. This helps....
I will be starting with the front diff and transfer case and then move on to the transmission. I am aware of the fluid temp and level procedure...
Old 10-31-2019, 05:59 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 130 Posts

If the car is a rusty pile of garbage underneath then beware that metal trans oil pan bolts like to seize in the aluminum trans housing. It's not fun when 5 of them snap off and need to be drilled out. Consider changing the fluid, but leave the pan and filter alone if you have any doubts. Also, do yourself a favor and order a new trans drain bolt - the torx head, like torx heads on rusty piles of garbage do, tends to strip out.
Be super duper careful with transfer case bolts. Look it up, they require special loctite/pipe sealer 2-in-1 (equivalent sold at Addvance...), and very, very little torque. Cracked transfer case housings are even more fun than snapped tranny pan bolts.
jgtime (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you hear the whining noise only during the shifts or all the time in those gears? How many miles are on the car? A short video would help greatly in diagnosing the noise.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:17 PM
jgtime
Advanced

brett968,
I hear the whining all the time during shifting. The whining goes away when I hit 5th or 6th gear, prob 40 mph+

157K miles

Last edited by jgtime; 10-31-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,620 Likes on 4,208 Posts

The other way to do the trans is to accurately measure the volume of fluid that comes out and out back in that same amount. This is the procedure I'll be doing, but my trans doesn't make any noise. In yiur case the fluid level may not be right and could contribute to your noises so that may not be the best method for you, but thought I'd mention it anyway as an option.

Also, with any of these make sure you can get the top fill hole plug loose and out before taking out the bottom drain plug.
Libast (11-04-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 PM
brett968
Racer

Originally Posted by jgtime
brett968,
I hear the whining all the time during shifting. The whining goes away when I hit 5th or 6th gear, prob 40 mph+
I'm afraid that doesn't really answer my question. If the sound is *only* during the shifts then that is very strange but would point to a transmission issue.

If you are hearing the sound all the time when in those gears then my gut based on the mileage and the prevalence of the problem on these cars is that the noise is coming from the front differential due to a bearing failure. If this is the case, then the front differential will need to be rebuilt or replaced in order to fix the problem. Changing the diff fluid will do absolutely nothing to help the problem if the damage has progressed to this point. Usually when the diff goes bad and starts making noise, the diff noise will be louder when under load and will often disappear entirely when you lift off the gas. I suspect that the noise is still there in 5th and 6th gear but just less noticeable. Try going up a hill in those gears and listen carefully.

157K miles
Each of my two front diff's lasted 140k miles and that seems to be the going rate--so I'd say you are due unfortunately.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:48 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by brett968
I'm afraid that doesn't really answer my question. If the sound is *only* during the shifts then that is very strange but would point to a transmission issue.

If you are hearing the sound all the time when in those gears then my gut based on the mileage and the prevalence of the problem on these cars is that the noise is coming from the front differential due to a bearing failure. If this is the case, then the front differential will need to be rebuilt or replaced in order to fix the problem. Changing the diff fluid will do absolutely nothing to help the problem if the damage has progressed to this point. Usually when the diff goes bad and starts making noise, the diff noise will be louder when under load and will often disappear entirely when you lift off the gas. I suspect that the noise is still there in 5th and 6th gear but just less noticeable. Try going up a hill in those gears and listen carefully.

Each of my two front diff's lasted 140k miles and that seems to be the going rate--so I'd say you are due unfortunately.
hmmm. I’m at 202;000 and no diff issues
v10rick (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:16 PM
brett968
Racer

Failures like the ones encountered with the front differentials on these cars are typically well represented by distribution models, notably the Weibull distribution. There are a number of factors that determine where a unit falls on this curve. Some of these factors can be influenced by controllable factors but many cannot.

The data are not available to us to construct a precise failure curve. Based on my observations, which admittedly are partly--but certainly not entirely--anecdotal, I would say that 150k miles is likely a good estimate of the nominal lifespan of a front differential on these cars.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:35 AM
joeyb
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had a similar symptom with my 2010 GTS.

This happened after I got it back from the shop after the engine and transmission were out to fix leaks and change the seals.

Turns out the mechanic had missed a screw and a mount on a strut under the transmission. (More knowledgable people will know proper names etc for what I’m talking about). That was causing the engine to move under load and touch Other metal parts. The vibration caused the very unpleasant whining noise under acceleration in 1-4th gear.

Thought that might be useful for anyone with a similar problem, as it was after the fluids were all changed.
jgtime (03-01-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 PM
jgtime
Advanced

Finally got around to recording the sound. May need to turn up your volume.
btw, since my original post, I changed rear diff, front diff, transfer case and transmission fluid.

Lost on what this sound can be coming from.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E1V...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by jgtime; 03-17-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: upload files

Quick Reply: Whining - (1 - 4) Transmission Fluid Change