Sponsored by:

Sunroof drain and squeak

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM
OvalPiston
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sunroof drain and squeak

So when I open my sunroom, it makes some squeaking noise. Figured I could put some waterproof grease on it and find out where it needs to by looking...but maybe someone else has had this issue before?

And, where are the sunroof water drains (top and bottom) so I can make sure they stay clear and open?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

No squeaking issue but sounds like you are on the right track, so to speak.

the top/front drains are tough to find, but live at 45* of the 90* arc of the front corners. You will have to look hard, but they are there. I would suggest fishing them with nylon weed trimmer cord. Don’t use compressed air or you may disconnect the lines. For the rear drains, you will need someone wiser than me.

You should also also get under your front fender liners and reach way up and remove the bishops hats at the outlets of the cowl drains If they occlude water will enter the cabin and cost you mucho dinero in electrical repairs. There are threads on how to find the hats and clean the drains.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:46 PM
johnkk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front drain tubes have sharp molded bends near the exit that can block trimmer line from getting all the way through. I had a line with a hairline crack near the top that leaked when the tube backed up due to a tiny blockage in the "check valve(bishops hat)" at the end. I only discovered this after the line had been replaced. I blew on the top end and the debris popped right out with little pressure. I'd used weed trimmer line frequently believing that I'd cleared the tubing, but not.

I think that compressed air of about 5 psi might be the answer. Maybe up to 10 psi. 30 psi could blow the top connection off, if the tubing was really clogged. However, you can unsnap the A-pillar trim and get to the top connection at the corner of the sunroof to replace the hose connection. Some have added silicone sealant to better fasten the line. On my 01 audi a6 the rear corner lines started leaking at the top connection when the car was only a few years old. I dropped the headliner slightly by removing the A and B pillar trim. This gave enough space to seal the line and connector and add the small hose clamp. No more leaks at rear.

Quick Reply: Sunroof drain and squeak