Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne Turbo S with PDCC/Air Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2009 Cayenne Turbo S with PDCC/Air Suspension Issues

The other day I was driving into an office complex (taking a right turn from the street) and I literally felt like I ran over something but nothing was there. From that point the ride felt sluggish, leaning over in turns and basically unsafe at high speed. I need to take it in but worried the air suspension or pdcc is failing. Since it’s an 09 and has 120k miles (have owned it since new) should I keep or get a new one. Thinking base cayenne or cayenne s or q8. I love Porsche but prices have really increased in the last few years.

just remembered, I just had two new tires in the back installed and a 4 wheel alignment so maybe I should have the that checked first before bringing SUV to mechanic.

Has anyone had problems like this? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 AM
GDA
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Probably broke a shock mount within the air strut assembly. Once one fails its really takes away from the crispness of the drive and adds quite a bit of slack to the driveline. You will also feel a rumble in the corner where one fails as the car never seems to settle and that corner just pogo sticks itself constantly no matter how smooth the pavement or amount of speed.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:50 AM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

Originally Posted by GDA
Probably broke a shock mount within the air strut assembly. Once one fails its really takes away from the crispness of the drive and adds quite a bit of slack to the driveline. You will also feel a rumble in the corner where one fails as the car never seems to settle and that corner just pogo sticks itself constantly no matter how smooth the pavement or amount of speed.
Thanks so much!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Check that all your tires and everything seems okay. If it looks odd, it probably is.

Next - is the car leaning to one side or one one corner? If your air suspension was failing in a big way, you'd probably notice the lean.

The final and most likely is the pdcc. Raise the car to its max height and check under the car. It is probably dripping fluid from where the line burst. If it burst in the rear you can see it, if it's in the front then it will probably require removing the under body panels.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:29 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
The final and most likely is the pdcc. Raise the car to its max height and check under the car. It is probably dripping fluid from where the line burst. If it burst in the rear you can see it, if it's in the front then it will probably require removing the under body panels.
^^THIS^^

Pull the engine undertray and I bet you will find that one of your PDCC lines rubbed against the sheet metal and blew. When the oil is changed on a PDCC vehicle, it is essential that the PDCC lines, which have to be moved out of the way to change the filter, be very carefully resecured. Usually, the mounting bolts, which have rubber ends, have been sheared off by some idiot tech.

Best,
Tom
Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

+1 on the burst PDCC line. Something that happens that instantaneously is usually this. If you were paying attention, you probably would have heard the "pop" sound when it burst.

The new lines are braided stainless, but covered in a clear coating to prevent the abrasion problem. The original lines are exposed braided stainless.

On my 09 I tool my lines apart and covered them in clear heat shrink tubing to achieve the same result.

I don't think you'll be happy moving from the flagship Cayenne Turbo S to a standard or S model. I'd fix the one you have and drive it another 85,000 miles.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

Very helpful. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

Not leaning. It must be the PDCC. Per Petza914, what he described is what I heard. Thanks though in responding.

Rob
Old 06-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

BTW...your right. Going from a turbo s with Tubi exhaust to a 2019 Cayenne or Cayenne S is not thrilling due lack of acceleration and then the cost. A fully loaded Cayenne is $80k. An S, $100k.

Thanks again.

Rob
Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwy9runner
Not leaning. It must be the PDCC. Per Petza914, what he described is what I heard. Thanks though in responding.

Rob
Keep in mind that if you have kept driving your Cayenne for more than a little bit (like a block or two) you have likely dumped all the PDCC hydraulic fluid and your dual circuit pump is fried. These are not cheap units and they are very sensitive to being run dry. Further, they are not simple to install without access to a PIWISand knowledge of how to bleed the system.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

The last time I had a PDCC issue, I got a warning light but haven't received any error notes. Furthermore when turning at low speed, no issue and high speed the car sways and occasionally when braking, the car will pull to the left or to the right. Having the dealership check it out next week. BTM in Campbell, couldn't find anything wrong.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:41 PM
zzzx990
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwy9runner
The last time I had a PDCC issue, I got a warning light but haven't received any error notes. Furthermore when turning at low speed, no issue and high speed the car sways and occasionally when braking, the car will pull to the left or to the right. Having the dealership check it out next week. BTM in Campbell, couldn't find anything wrong.

Hello
Did you figure out what was the issue? My 09 CTTS started showing the same symptom recently. One corner (front passenger side I think) will raise and drop while driving. No issue with air suspension.
BTW, keep your CTTS. Mine is close to 280k km now. Still running strong.
Thanks

Roy

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne Turbo S with PDCC/Air Suspension Issues