Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Cayenne Base Motor Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So I went ahead and sourced an engine (74K) through a local source - They give a 90 day warranty - so at least it would give me someone loacl to yell at if the engine is a complete dud. Should arrive next week and be installed the week after.

I wish I had the garage space (and time) to pull off this transplant myself - I consider myself quite technically adapt and love to tinker - but maybe someday when the kids are older and my work slows down. Which brings me to a different question - what is one of the better older Porsche's to tinker on? 944? 928?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Swedge
So I went ahead and sourced an engine (74K) through a local source - They give a 90 day warranty - so at least it would give me someone loacl to yell at if the engine is a complete dud. Should arrive next week and be installed the week after.

I wish I had the garage space (and time) to pull off this transplant myself - I consider myself quite technically adapt and love to tinker - but maybe someday when the kids are older and my work slows down. Which brings me to a different question - what is one of the better older Porsche's to tinker on? 944? 928?
I have a 924S (essentially a 944 with a different body kit) and 2 928's and a Cayenne...

The 924 is simple and easy and everything makes sense. You can tinker on that on the weekends and still be able to drive it on the week days.

The 928 is an order of magnitude more complex and tinkering on it is probably less of a hobby and more of a life style choice.

They're also very different cars though and I don't think that if you wanted a 928, that you'd ever feel satisfied with a 944. It would be like comparing a Cayenne to a 911. Sure, they share the same badge but they are different cars meant for very different experiences and they're both great at their respective things.

I hear good things about 914's too... I've been thinking of getting rid of my 924 and trying a 914 maybe...
Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

I have the Cayenne, 2 997s, a 928, and a 914. Of all of them the 914 is so simple and easy to work on, especially since mine has been converted to carbs to supply enough fueling for the engine mods.

The 928 is way more complicated, especially electrically, and miner's an early one so less electrically complicated than the later ones once they went to electronic fuel injection.

The Cayenne is probably the most complicated and the 997s fall between the 914 and 928.

I've never had a 944 but the motor is half of a 928 one.

I'm in the middle of a 928 engine replacement right now - blown head gasket

Old 05-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have the Cayenne, 2 997s, a 928, and a 914. Of all of them the 914 is so simple and easy to work on, especially since mine has been converted to carbs to supply enough fueling for the engine mods.

The 928 is way more complicated, especially electrically, and miner's an early one so less electrically complicated than the later ones once they went to electronic fuel injection.

The Cayenne is probably the most complicated and the 997s fall between the 914 and 928.

I've never had a 944 but the motor is half of a 928 one.

I'm in the middle of a 928 engine replacement right now - blown head gasket

Nice garage, very jealous. Mine is literally shared with a pig. really wish I had a dedicated workspace. Maybe someday.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Which brings me to a different question - what is one of the better older Porsche's to tinker on? 944? 928?
What are you looking to end up with?

I have one of each. And an 05 CTT.

They're both in the same timeframe, so working on them is quite similar.
The 928 is more complex, and has a lot more electrical systems (it was one of the most advanced cars of its time). But its mostly nothing a DVM and high school level electrical knowledge can't handle.
Parts for both are readily available, although some stuff is 'not cheap'.
The knowledge base on here is pretty comprehensive. There's not much that you can't readily find how to address. The 928 community is a bit tighter, but the 944 guys are there when you need them.

The two cars, however, are very different. The 944 is a sports car. The 928 is a Grand Tourer.
The 944 is quick (not fast), nimble, communicative (you know where each wheel is and what it's doing at any given time) and lots of fun.
The 928 is fast, although not terribly quick, handles better than you'd think, and very comfortable. It also has a V-8 rumble that is both intoxicating and addictive. I like to pretend that I let is idle for a minute or two after start up to let it warm up just a bit and to listen for any issues, but the reality is that I just like the sound it makes.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
What are you looking to end up with?

I have one of each. And an 05 CTT.

They're both in the same timeframe, so working on them is quite similar.
The 928 is more complex, and has a lot more electrical systems (it was one of the most advanced cars of its time). But its mostly nothing a DVM and high school level electrical knowledge can't handle.
Parts for both are readily available, although some stuff is 'not cheap'.
The knowledge base on here is pretty comprehensive. There's not much that you can't readily find how to address. The 928 community is a bit tighter, but the 944 guys are there when you need them.

The two cars, however, are very different. The 944 is a sports car. The 928 is a Grand Tourer.
The 944 is quick (not fast), nimble, communicative (you know where each wheel is and what it's doing at any given time) and lots of fun.
The 928 is fast, although not terribly quick, handles better than you'd think, and very comfortable. It also has a V-8 rumble that is both intoxicating and addictive. I like to pretend that I let is idle for a minute or two after start up to let it warm up just a bit and to listen for any issues, but the reality is that I just like the sound it makes.
Hah, have you been stalking me? Didn't think I had mentioned my profession on this board.... or was that just an offhand reference?

Before this Cayenne blew up in my face I almost bit on a '84 944 for $2500. Was in need of a waterpump, but otherwise supposedly mechanically sound. Funny how I could have picked up a full car for the price of the used Cayenne engine.

I'm really just looking for something fun to drive and something I can tinker with and fix mainly on my own if needed. In order of vehicle preference (not reality based) would be any 356, 70's 911, any 912, 944, 928, 914. The first two are out of my price range, though I dream. Hard to justify paying 'new car' price for a 912. That leaves me with a trio of more affordable choices.

Well for now I'll have to continue to dream since I'll be a little cash poor getting the P!G back on the road. I'll check CL and Ebay for any lucky finds locally, never know when I might get lucky
Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

what is one of the better older Porsche's to tinker on? 944? 928?
I'm really just looking for something fun to drive and something I can tinker with and fix mainly on my own if needed.
The 928 is a challenge, but it's completely doable with the resources on this site. The 928 forum here is hands-down the single best DIY resource in the world.

Really, what you want to consider is what you want to do with the car. The 928 is a one of the finest GT cars ever made. It isn't really at its best tearing around mountain roads.

If you want a pure sportscar, then a 914 should be a good choice. I've never owned one, but I've thought about them. Mechanically simple, but cheaply built, and they're appreciating rapidly.

The early Boxster is an amazing sports car. So much fun, and completely modern. Easy to find parts, easy to DIY. I love mine.

The 944 is probably a good middle ground between sports cars and GT cars. They're cheap to acquire, I don't think they're a difficult wrench (I had a 951, but it required no maintenance in the time I owned it), they're great corner carvers, and the hatch makes them very versatile. A classic 80s car that's going to start appreciating very soon.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Swedge
Instructor

Quick update -

The Cayenne has the engine out and they're working on getting the 'used' one prepped to go back in. No word yet on what failed on the old one.

On a second note we pulled the trigger on a 1984 944 yesterday. Posted about it here. Yeah!
Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Swedge
Instructor

SO the Saga continues. The mechanic was able to get the used engine installed a week or so ago. It would turn over nicely but wouldn't start. Were able to get it to fire up running on propane so pulled the injectors and they were plugged with varnish. Turns out the whole fuel rail was gunked up on the donor engine. Pulled the injectors and fuel rail off the original engine. Were able to get it started right up and ran nicely .... for about 5 minutes. Then it started to clank and rattle. Oil pressure good no engine codes thrown. Turned it off and it wouldn't turn over. Were able to turn it with a breaker bar - so engine wasn't seized. Let it sit overnight and tried again the next day. Started right up and ran for about 3 minutes and died - Now they can't turn the engine more that 180 with a breaker bar on the crank w/o it hanging on something. ..... sigh guess this was a bad decision.

Now I need to call the Junkyard and see if I can return the engine and possible turn the car into them for $$. I'm not willing to drop another 2K on labor to try another engine and get another dud.....
Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

SO the Saga continues. The mechanic was able to get the used engine installed a week or so ago. It would turn over nicely but wouldn't start. Were able to get it to fire up running on propane so pulled the injectors and they were plugged with varnish. Turns out the whole fuel rail was gunked up on the donor engine. Pulled the injectors and fuel rail off the original engine. Were able to get it started right up and ran nicely .... for about 5 minutes. Then it started to clank and rattle. Oil pressure good no engine codes thrown. Turned it off and it wouldn't turn over. Were able to turn it with a breaker bar - so engine wasn't seized. Let it sit overnight and tried again the next day. Started right up and ran for about 3 minutes and died - Now they can't turn the engine more that 180 with a breaker bar on the crank w/o it hanging on something. ..... sigh guess this was a bad decision.

Now I need to call the Junkyard and see if I can return the engine and possible turn the car into them for $$. I'm not willing to drop another 2K on labor to try another engine and get another dud.....
Oh man, sorry to hear that this was the outcome as I was really pulling for you.

Good luck with the 944 though.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM
NelaK
Pro

That is really sad news. Hopefully the junkyard refunds the motor. I think they usually do? I guess you're still on the hook for the labor though...
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Originally Posted by NelaK
That is really sad news. Hopefully the junkyard refunds the motor. I think they usually do? I guess you're still on the hook for the labor though...
Yep I just got off the phone with the junkyard - he will talk to the mechanic and see what happened - They do claim to offer a 90 day warranty on the motor, so really they should take it back. At this point I think I'd just sell the whole car to them sans the $1000 new Halogen headlight set i put in 1 week before it died .....

Sometimes when you gamble you win sometimes you lose.... suspect I lost this one.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Swedge
Instructor

So just found a listing for a 2008 GTS with 98,000 miles for $17,000 Looks to be in great shape wonder if you thought that was decent deal? Shows all the routine maint work including oil changes at a dealership. Is that likely to be outside of the cylinder scoring issue seen in some of these V8's?

Here's the link. Same dealership we got our Panamera from last year and had a great experience.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's odd that it runs when cold but shuts off when it warms up. I'm wondering if the difference is that the fuel system would be running in an open loop mode when you first turn it over but when it goes into closed loop after warm up, something changes in the fuel delivery/programming. I would hook up a scan tool that shows the current status of the fuel system and watch what happens right before the engine dies.

Open loop doesn't use any input from the 02 sensors to regulate fuel mixture. When the system goes into closed loop, the input from the 02 sensors changes how much fuel is being mixed with air to reduce emissions in accordance with the approved emission requirement. This could all be tied to an emission issue, not the engine itself.

There's also other sensor readings that come into play when a system goes into closed loop. Any of them could contribute to this issue. Here's a quick read to bring it all together:

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...s-closed-loop/

Good luck and let us know if your mechanic thinks any of this could be the solution.

Last edited by jtakhtalian; 06-25-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM
NelaK
Pro

So just found a listing for a 2008 GTS with 98,000 miles for $17,000 Looks to be in great shape wonder if you thought that was decent deal? Shows all the routine maint work including oil changes at a dealership. Is that likely to be outside of the cylinder scoring issue seen in some of these V8's?

Here's the link. Same dealership we got our Panamera from last year and had a great experience.
I think with the 2008's you have to check the build number in the trunk. Check the bore scoring survey thread - I think there was a change in the process late in 2008 after which the current belief is the engines should be safe.

By the way - is it at all possible that the engine got flooded with fuel and that's what is stopping it from turning over? If that's what happened... There's a chance it may not be dead. I guess since you're paying a mechanic for this it may not be worth the investigating... But if you're doing it yourself, pull the spark plugs and see if it'll turn over.

Edit: About the linked car... I dunno about it's value but that interior color is just not doing it for me. Also - their photo shows it smoking on the left side. Could be nothing though.

Quick Reply: 2005 Cayenne Base Motor Dead?