Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the option for trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts
Question What is the option for trailer hitch?

I don't have a factory trailer hitch but when I run my VIN it shows '1D8 Trailer hitch: Trailer hitch preparation' . There's an opening in my bumper for the hitch so was just wondering.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

1D6-trailer hitch without hitch ball
Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I've never seen a Cayenne with an opening but no hitch. Does an '09 GTS maybe have a filler cover that fell off?
If not, your rear bumper cover may have been replaced with one from a hitch equipped car.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:53 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
1D6-trailer hitch without hitch ball
Thanks Magdaddy!

Originally Posted by 19psi
I've never seen a Cayenne with an opening but no hitch. Does an '09 GTS maybe have a filler cover that fell off?
If not, your rear bumper cover may have been replaced with one from a hitch equipped car.
That was my first thought, but it has the weird option 1D8 - trailer hitch preparation.

Does anyone else without a hitch have that option?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:36 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Think 1D8 is everything is ready for you to install a hitch, but they did not install the hitch- so should have the wiring and/or the control box ready to go.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

That just means your car is pre-wired for the hitch, but no hitch. You need the tow control module, the hitch itself, and the control module - to - hitch wiring harness. The bumper does not need to be changed, just got a small section of it where the hitch will go. Your best bet would be to find the parts used on eBay or at breaker yards.

There are manuals out there on how to install - search abound. I've done it, not too bad: the bumper has to come off, as well as rear seat backs and rear pas side interior quarter panel.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Libast
Think 1D8 is everything is ready for you to install a hitch, but they did not install the hitch- so should have the wiring and/or the control box ready to go.
Tks....wonder if that includes a bumper cutout...

Originally Posted by slavie
That just means your car is pre-wired for the hitch, but no hitch. You need the tow control module, the hitch itself, and the control module - to - hitch wiring harness. The bumper does not need to be changed, just got a small section of it where the hitch will go. Your best bet would be to find the parts used on eBay or at breaker yards.

There are manuals out there on how to install - search abound. I've done it, not too bad: the bumper has to come off, as well as rear seat backs and rear pas side interior quarter panel.
I've have a factory hitch laying in my garage for months now and the install directions bookmarked. Not too sure if I'm going to go ahead and do the install since I've recently accquired another vehicle that has a factory tow hitch rated at 3500 lbs, and I also have an old TLC with tow hitch.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 04-19-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm in the same boat on my 2010 S. The hitch wiring option is listed in the build sheet, but no actual hitch! I went to the local PnP JY and yanked a hitch and controller from a 2006 S for $85.

Check on the YT there are a couple good videos on installs. Also as mentioned there is the factory option installation sheet PDF on here as well. (PM me if you want it emailed to you). AllData website has good panel removal information for teardown. The bumper is easy, the plastic junk on the interior is a PITA to get to the controller.

Originally Posted by Libast
I hope so...

The controller (allegedly interchangeable) you will need is:
2006 = 7L0 907 383 G
2008 = 7L0 907 383 L
2009/2010 = 7L0 907 383 N

(E or C (early) or any other last digit is early or with the auto drop hitch, stay away from those.)

If you want to run an actual brake controller (like Prodigy P2) you will need some additional wiring under the dash. Easy with some how-tos or now Ebay has a premade harness for a reasonable cost.

Quick Reply: What is the option for trailer hitch?