Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 PM
wtsnt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearings

I have a 2008 Cayenne S with ~ 115,000 miles. Recently there is a "whine" whenever the car is moving. It changes frequency with speed so it is leading me to believe it is probably a front wheel bearing or bearings. Has anyone had front wheel bearings replaced, and if so, approximately what was the cost? Trying to prep ahead.

Thanks,

Terry Watson
Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Does it change on/off throttle? How about with transmission in neutral at speed? Wheel bearings usually get progressively louder with speed, starting at lower speeds. CV axle will wary with on/off throttle, or on brakes and/or in neutral.
If the noise is at 60-80, check tire balance and for bent wheel. Can also rotate the wheels and see whether the noise follows the wheel.
If above 80, check control arm bushings.

What I'm trying to say is that you better have it diagnosed correctly, as guessing and throwing parts at driveline noises can get expensive quickly.

Bearings on the Cayennes are beefy, but anything can fail.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Does the noise change or vary if you do a sweeping right or left turn at speed? It could also be your front diff or transfer case. If the oil has not been changed in a while in those I would do that first and see what happens.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:31 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsnt
I have a 2008 Cayenne S with ~ 115,000 miles. Recently there is a "whine" whenever the car is moving. It changes frequency with speed so it is leading me to believe it is probably a front wheel bearing or bearings. Has anyone had front wheel bearings replaced, and if so, approximately what was the cost? Trying to prep ahead.

Thanks,

Terry Watson
Same here with a 2004 CS: starting to be noticeable from 40 mph to 50 mph, then a bit quieter from 50 to 70 mph and noisy again from 70 and on, louder when accelerating but it will not change when shifting to and from neutral at a maintained speed. Low speed and turns no noticeable noise.
I changed the front diff oil with a thicker 70W-140 and transfer case oil as well but did't change much and next I will add ceratec to the diff and change rear diff oil as well. It could be a drive shaft bearing damaged as well I think.
It's been there since I got the car and didn't go worst at least.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:25 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

My experiences (in other vehicles) with failing wheel bearings is that they make a woob woob noise that is not a constant pitch. Failing wheel bearings will change pitch with speed, but it is not a constant hum. Constant hum suggests differential or some other driveline component.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearings