Sponsored by:

Cayenne Looking at 2005/130k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottytahoe
Im looking at a very base model, lots of good info from you guys!
Yeah, baser is better. If you have one without the Bose and navigation (CDR-23), a radio swap is stupid simple. The MOST system that the Bose and navigation uses makes going to a modern head unit a pain.

I have 160k on my '05 base. I bought it with 80k on it in 2010. It's been a trooper. It's only left me once, around 110k due to bad fuel pumps. (My indy replaced the pumps with a parts from a wreck for a total of about $500.) All up, I'm positive I've spent less than $1,000 a year on repairs in the time I've owned it. I've done the cardan shaft, coils, plugs, fuel pumps, brakes, downpipes (w/cats), a couple of transmission flushes, and two sets of tires. The only issue I have right now is a CEL for a lean condition in both banks, which I expect is a vacuum leak in the intake. But, I haven't had a chance to chase it down.

I don't regularly tow vehicles, but I've dragged around plenty of stuff, including a '99 986 Boxster. As I said: It worked, but it worked a little hard. Other than that, it has plenty of power. I have no problem achieving and maintaining highway speeds, and if you downshift into first on launch it will jump like a scalded cat.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:30 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

mine being a 2006 Base model I have 143000 miles on it so far the most expensive repair was a broken thermostat housing which entailed the transmission needing to be dropped "OUCH",
Old 04-22-2019, 07:17 PM
Scottytahoe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the trigger last week, price went down after the independent mechanic found metal in the front differential. That has been bought and is on the way, a screaming deal in my book. This thing is amazing, you guys were a huge help.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 450 Posts

Is there a hitch? If not, you'll need to replace the rear bumper with one that has the hitch receiver. You'll also need to cut the opening into the bumper. I have the Curt Hitch, which has worked well. You can also get bumper from a wreck at this point. For lights, you'll either need to put in the trailer wiring module or put in an aftermarket trailer wiring box that uses taps, rather than interrupting the light circuits, which will cause the truck to report a bulb out.

There are a couple of old threads on here you should be able to find if you search 'curt hitch'.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Scottytahoe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Is there a hitch? If not, you'll need to replace the rear bumper with one that has the hitch receiver. You'll also need to cut the opening into the bumper. I have the Curt Hitch, which has worked well. You can also get bumper from a wreck at this point. For lights, you'll either need to put in the trailer wiring module or put in an aftermarket trailer wiring box that uses taps, rather than interrupting the light circuits, which will cause the truck to report a bulb out.

There are a couple of old threads on here you should be able to find if you search 'curt hitch'.

No hitch, I ordered the Curt Hitch yesterday and the local guy says he has done Cayenne’s that didn’t come with the OEM equipment. Guess we will see what happens. It’s like a boat....Bust Out Another Thousand!

Will be be a big help and clue when I talk to the guy today about the wiring part in regards to taps rather than interrupting the light circuits.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Looking at 2005/130k Miles