Sponsored by:

PPI Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:00 AM
957ManTrans
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Help!!!

I'm in the market for a new 957 and found the one I want. A PPI was performed and 8 fault codes were detected. While reading through report, I'm finding more than 8 fault code issues, maybe it's the way I'm reading it. Can someone help me read all the fault codes? Should I be concerned by these codes? What should I glean from this information? Are the faults going to be costly? I've included the overspeed data as well.

The PPI did list that the battery is weak at 11.4 volts standing after charge while inspection performed. Thanks for any and all help

Faults listed with Fault CODE
KESSY fault code 0956 Key2 below lower limit value
A/C fault code 1592 air quality sensor faulty
Veh. Electrical fault code 1496 (lamp for left fog light - open circuit) & 1500 (lamp for right fog light - open circuit)
TPM 2810 (partial load selected - no display) & 2860 (system active - no display
Rear/doors - 1134 (alarm siren/alarm system horn - no display) & 0914 (switch for rear left window - driver's switch module, implausible signal)

Faults listed without Fault CODE
DME (DFI) V8 Natural...
PSM (PSM)
Airbag
Instrument Cluster
PCMS Headunit
External Bose am...
Steering Col. S....
Wiper (wiper)...
Transfer Case...
Level Control...
Seat memory, D
Seat memory, PA
AHK
AWS
Headlight CU, left...
Headlight CU, right...
Rear Lid
Gateway

Overspeed
Nmax stored for range 1 - 257
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 1 - 3182.339
Nmax stored for range 2 - 136
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 2 - 3182.339
Nmax stored for range 3 - 139
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 3 - 3182.339
Nmax stored for range 4 - 11
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 4 - 301.431
Nmax stored for range 5 - 0
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 5 - 0
Nmax stored for range 6 -
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 6 - 0
Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the general advice on here is that when the Cayenne starts throwing lots of errors, you check the battery and then the cables in the footwell.

In this case if the battery is reading low, that would suggest it's the source of the issues. But that's not guaranteed.

What is the asking price? Every Cayenne, no matter it's issues is a good buy at the right price.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

What are the total # of operating hours in the DME abd what's the vehicle mileage?

I'm surprised to see range 3 and 4 overrevs in a Cayenne that has an automatic transmission, but it looks like at 3,182 hours someone really had their foot in it, right up through the Rev limiter. I bet that was recent too, like on a test drive. Any chance the car has an aftermarket tune that would have raised or eliminated the Rev limiter?

Until that KESSY error can be cleared and stay away, proceed very carefully. There are chips in the steering column that when they fail completely brick the vehicle requiring it to be disassembled and the chips mauled off for repair or a new steering column for multi-thoudands of dollars.

As Nelak mentions though, multiple strange error codes from unrelated modules is often a bad or weak battery. One test is with the car not running, to try and open the power hatch a few times in a row. If the battery is weak, the hatch will get stuck part of the way up. This will happen when there's still enough power to start the car.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:18 PM
957ManTrans
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
What are the total # of operating hours in the DME abd what's the vehicle mileage?

I'm surprised to see range 3 and 4 overrevs in a Cayenne that has an automatic transmission, but it looks like at 3,182 hours someone really had their foot in it, right up through the Rev limiter. I bet that was recent too, like on a test drive. Any chance the car has an aftermarket tune that would have raised or eliminated the Rev limiter?

Until that KESSY error can be cleared and stay away, proceed very carefully. There are chips in the steering column that when they fail completely brick the vehicle requiring it to be disassembled and the chips mauled off for repair or a new steering column for multi-thoudands of dollars.

As Nelak mentions though, multiple strange error codes from unrelated modules is often a bad or weak battery. One test is with the car not running, to try and open the power hatch a few times in a row. If the battery is weak, the hatch will get stuck part of the way up. This will happen when there's still enough power to start the car.
Total number of hours from DME shows 3629 with current mileage just shy of 100k.

Vehicle is a six-spd manual, not an automatic. Does that change the reaction to ranges 3/4 overrevs?

Spoke with the seller yesterday and the battery was being replaced and new diagnostics ran. It should clear any obscure issues related to a low battery. Seller mentioned that it was still on the original Porsche battery from when the car was originally purchased.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by 957ManTrans
Total number of hours from DME shows 3629 with current mileage just shy of 100k.

Vehicle is a six-spd manual, not an automatic. Does that change the reaction to ranges 3/4 overrevs?

Spoke with the seller yesterday and the battery was being replaced and new diagnostics ran. It should clear any obscure issues related to a low battery. Seller mentioned that it was still on the original Porsche battery from when the car was originally purchased.
Yes, the overrevs make a lot more sense now knowing it's a manual transmission. The 11 in range 4 are so long ago, they really don't matter and ranges 1-3 aren't terrible. There was a pretty good redline event or a missed downshift at the 3,182 hour mark that logged those entries in Ranges 1-3 but they were 500 hours ago. If that had caused a problem, it likely would have surfaced by now. If the total hours were just a couple after an event like that I would be more concerned about them, but they're OK.

Is it a GTS, S, or base model - just curious.

I'm pretty sure your error code issues are a weak battery, especially now that you say it's the original. I had to change my original battery in 2016 (mine's an 09). They seem to last longer than normal 5 year lifespan of most batteries being protected the way they are under the driver's seat.

If the new battery resolves the error codes and the rest of the PPI checked out, I don't see anything here that would keep you from moving forward with the purchase.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:33 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

The error codes are good in a way...you are assured the seller is not trying to conceal issues by deleting them.

I have hit the rev limiter when I first acquired my GTS. It did not reoccur when I discovered that it's OK to skip 1st gear.

Just be certain the clutch is not slipping.

And yes that battery is way overdue for replacement.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:00 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Be mindful too, if you replace the battery, you need to drive it the 50 miles or so to let the sensor's reset and then see if the CEL and DTC trip again.

Quick Reply: PPI Help!!!