Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Loaner car this weekend, here are my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 06:56 PM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cayenne S Loaner car this weekend, here are my thoughts.

I was able to drive a 2004 Cayenne S loaner car this weekend while by Boxster was in service. Here are my initial thoughts, some of which I think coincide with the majority opinion around here, others may be unique.

- Intoxicating acceleration
- Amazing engine sound
- Very nice handling, not what I had expected from a car so big and heavy

Dislikes:
- The remote control is ridiculous and buggy.
- Some cheap plastic interior trim pieces
- Lurchy feeling when cold
- Shift lag during tiptronic mode
- Brakes were very grabby and sensitive.
- The seats were rock hard.

So while I am still sold on the car due to its performance, my wife is not convinced it is an adequate enough car for family use. We may wait a while and see how the interior changes from year to year and buy a little later.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had one for almost a week before ordering. What remote control are you referring to? Is it part of the nav/stereo system? I purposely did not order the nav system to avoid complaints just like yours. IMO, all extra electronics, unless in a Lexus, are buggy and needlessly complex.

The lurching may have been just your truck. I live in Minnesota and had it in very cold weather. The throttle tip in is a little too abrupt but I found I was able to adjust to it, same with the touchy brakes. The good news was the brakes and engine remain powerful throughout the pedal travel

Don't know what to say about the seats. There are a couple of options includung the soft look which may help. I do a fair amount of long distance driving and find firm seats a plus.

Your plusses all strike me as accurate, though the engine sound still isn't as good as my 928
Old 02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome SUV! I agree with the remote being "buggy" at certain times but Porsche is not really known for thier electronic know how. Hopefully they will iron out these silly quirks in a future TSB.

I disagree with Brent about the optional PCM and its integrated premium Bose "Surround Sound" 14 speaker w/dual subwoofers /AM/FM/CD system. It is awesome! Do get the optional CDC, these are definitely worth the extra $$!

IMHO, It actually seats 5 adults very comfortably and makes an excellent family SUV.

Good Luck with your endeavors!

Old 02-11-2004, 11:24 AM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have the loaner and I have to say that it is growing on me. The way that thing moves really does make up for any of the other things I mentioned, I am really liking how quick this truck is. I also really like how stable it feels while driving in adverse conditions.

Who knows, when my Boxster lease is over, this may be the replacement
Old 02-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being in Texas, I suspect you know where to find an open section of road. Take the Cayenne out there and open it up....keep that foot down..... One of the most impressive things I noticed was how hard it pulls at speed. The 4-5 shift at 110mph is awesome, it just keeps pulling! That was enough for me to pass on the TT version. Wind noise does not become intrusive until 120 or so, and the truck remains very stable. While the S is no stoplight dragster, once rolling it impressed me quite a bit. For a tall heavy vehicle it can be hustled on the street pretty well, and its fun.

I am replacing a BMW 750iL with the Cayenne. We could use the year round traction and the nature of the Cayenne gives up little to the big bimmer, just some leg room in back. Sport and Utility, the Cayenne is the best one yet.

The 14 speaker Bose sound system is standard, you do not need to opt for the Nav system to get it. XM or Sirus would have been nice though, even my Chevy pick-up offered that.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:16 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally posted by ljugete

IMHO, It actually seats 5 adults very comfortably and makes an excellent family SUV.

Would you or anyone know if the back seat is wide enough to accomodate 3 child seats? I know... that sounds crazy... but right now, we have three little ones... ages 4, 2, and newborn... and at some point in the not-too-distant future... I'd love to trade up from our Honda Odyssey to a Cayenne, if I could get all three seats to fit.

Most likely, they won't... but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I might have to wait a couple more years, at least until maybe two of them are in booster seats!!

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Mav
Racer

JGriff, I can try. I will let you know ASAP.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:32 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To JGriff

Sorry, but I don't think three across will fit.

http://www.986host.com/albums/EltonF..._002.sized.jpg

Notice the color coordinated towels to prevent scuffing. Now if I can only do something about the occassional barf!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:13 AM
R1100RSman
Intermediate

JGriff,

I can confirm that 2 child seats fit fine. Plenty of room with 2 seats and maybe enough for a 3rd seat.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:51 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally posted by Mav
JGriff, I can try. I will let you know ASAP.
Thanks… don’t knock yourself out on my account… but it sure would avoid my having to lug three car seats to the dealership to convince a salesman to let me mount three car seats into a $50k vehicle just to see whether or not they fit.

On a related note, does the Cayenne have the child seat “latch” system (i.e. the mounting hooks at the back of the seat bottom)?

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback/assistance.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:34 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Yes. I use a LATCH child car seat in my TT. The hooks for the latch system, however, are only found on the outer seats, not the middle one.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:40 AM
JGriff
Racer

Default Re: To JGriff

Originally posted by Elton in SoCal
Sorry, but I don't think three across will fit.

http://www.986host.com/albums/EltonF..._002.sized.jpg

Notice the color coordinated towels to prevent scuffing. Now if I can only do something about the occassional barf!
Hmm… it does look a bit tight. I’m sure that once one or two of them are in booster seats, they’ll be fine.

I know that Porsche sells a nice child car seat (for big $$$), but it is probably not designed for three across.

We have three boys… and my wife is still leaning towards “trying for a girl”. I keep telling her that with 4 or more kids, we are “doomed” to always drive a Suburban, Expedition, or Minivan (unless perhaps someday Porsche will put a third row seat in the Cayenne)!!

Thanks again for all of the feedback and assistance.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:42 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally posted by alin2
Yes. I use a LATCH child car seat in my TT. The hooks for the latch system, however, are only found on the outer seats, not the middle one.
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:47 AM
tierraman
Intermediate

I love my 964 and respect the new Cayenne, but if any of you are considering the Cayenne, you should also consider the VW Touareg V-8. This SUV is powerful, handles the corners very well and with the air suspension is an amazing offroad vehicle. The ride and interior are more plush than the Cayenne and a fully loaded touareg is 10k less than a stripped Cayenne. It also turns a lot of heads.....

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Loaner car this weekend, here are my thoughts.