Sponsored by:

2005 955 Front & Rear Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 AM
acer54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 955 Front & Rear Parking Sensors

My front and rear parking sensors always show the first two red bars (from left to right) without any audible warning, the lights go out once I reach 10 mph and when I go below this speed they come on again.
I've also drove right up to my garage door (2-3 inches from the door) and no change in the sensor lights on the dash and no audible warning either - has anyone else experienced the same problem and if so what was the fix?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes. Common problem. One or more of your sensors are u/s, or unplugged, Or the wiring harness is damaged, Or unplugged. Has the bumper been off recently?
A code reader is required to find out which one, or, if you can get your ear to each sensor, sometimes you can hear them- they click. The dead one won’t.
You don’t have to buy a new sensor from Porsche. They are a VW part and fitted to many VW cars of the same era (look at the part number on the sensor itself).
Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 AM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I get the red lights sometimes after she sits in a hard rain for awhile. It clears up after I start moving.
Only when it rains, not snow, mud, dirt etc.
I can deal with that
Old 03-17-2019, 01:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,320 Likes on 4,028 Posts

When I slow down to the speed that enables the sensors, my first 2 lights are green, then the next few are yellow, then red. Either that's a difference in the light setup between the 955 and 957 or maybe the lights being red is notification that the system has a problem and why they don't work.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Morganmobile
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Red lights are an indication of a failure in the system.

I have a similar issue with mine due to water ingress in one of my rear sensors. It’s a bumper off job and not suited to the end of the winter here in Finland so right now I have to live with it.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM
acer54
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Yes. Common problem. One or more of your sensors are u/s, or unplugged, Or the wiring harness is damaged, Or unplugged. Has the bumper been off recently?
A code reader is required to find out which one, or, if you can get your ear to each sensor, sometimes you can hear them- they click. The dead one won’t.
You don’t have to buy a new sensor from Porsche. They are a VW part and fitted to many VW cars of the same era (look at the part number on the sensor itself).
Going in on the 8th April for some other work so will be investigated then, I will update the thread with the findings etc.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM
acer54
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
When I slow down to the speed that enables the sensors, my first 2 lights are green, then the next few are yellow, then red. Either that's a difference in the light setup between the 955 and 957 or maybe the lights being red is notification that the system has a problem and why they don't work.
It would appear that the red lights on their own are a warning of system malfunction, it's going in on the 8th April for some other work so will be investigated then, I will update the thread with the findings etc.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:09 PM
HRnico
AutoX

Default You still out there

Ever get the rear sensors working?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:12 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

yeah; same experience. Durametric indicated which unit had failed, and sensors can be found second hand, VW, or Aliexpress. Depending on the model, it may be bumper cover off. Knowing someone that owns an actually new Macan (rocketship) apparently they also have problems with snow, rain, or otherwise large particulate setting off sensors, I know that's why the override button is part of the car washing experience.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:21 AM
HRnico
AutoX

Does one sensor take them all out? Not sure with camera working, that bumper off is worth it for now. The fronts work fine.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:32 PM
nickolay93
2nd Gear

Wanted to see if you had any updates. I have the 2 red light issue when the car is under 10mph. I just replaced my control module and the sensor light starts off green for about 1 second and then I see the 2 red lights again. Before I changed the module I would just see red right away - is this a sign that I had a broken module and now its pinging to broken sensors?
Old 05-17-2024, 05:48 PM
DARIOcaptain
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anybody here ever done some research on the possibility of retrofitting parktronic to a non-sensor Cayenne?
I guess it would be much easier to buy whole new bumpers with already factory-installed sensors than to drill holes in the current bumpers.

Last edited by DARIOcaptain; 05-17-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:26 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DARIOcaptain
Has anybody here ever done some research on the possibility of retrofitting parktronic to a non-sensor Cayenne?
I guess it would be much easier to buy whole new bumpers with already factory-installed sensors than to drill holes in the current bumpers.
It's probably do-able, although I can't recall anyone who has ever done the retrofit. You would need:

1) Parking sensor module.
2) Front & rear bumpers with parking sensors (or drill your current ones and fit the sensors).
3) Distance displays on the front dash and in the rear headliner.
4) Wiring harnesses for the sensors, or build your own.

The module resides in the back left corner of the vehicle (behind the removable cover in the left wall of the cargo area), and needs power, ground, and CAN tx/rx. It ties into the "Comfort" CANbus as shown in the attached document. I don't know if it needs to be VIN-coded to the car using a PIWIS.

After everthing is installed and powered up, do a "handover" using a PIWIS so the CAN gateway can auto-discover the park sensor module.

This is my best, somewhat educated guess on how to retrofit the system, however it by no means guarantees a working end product...
Attached Images

Quick Reply: 2005 955 Front & Rear Parking Sensors